We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Careful: mugged and robbed yesterday

boston
Level Contributor
447 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Careful: mugged and robbed yesterday

4pm sunday, while walking back form evita's tomb and only 1/2 block up from the gorgeous Alvear hotel on avenida alvear,my wife was mugged by the passenger on a motorcycle. she was crossing the side street with 2 of us and the motorcycle passenger came up behind her and twisteed her neck and robbed her of her watch and tried for her braclet . by the time my daughter and i reacted, i slammed his head into the wall and chased him until he hopped on the back of the motorcycle

whole thing took 15-20 seconds

we were very congnizant of this kind of crime but you must assume that it can happen in even the nicest and allegedly safest areas of BA.

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,599 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Careful: mugged and robbed yesterday

I am very sorry to hear about your experience. The only robbery I have witnessed in Buenos Aires was in the same neighborhood (On Posadas in front of Patio Bullrich mall) on an otherwise quiet Sunday. Same method--two guys, one on foot and his accomplice on a moto...they go for watches and other jewelry and take off before you have a chance to react. I am glad to hear you got one swing in!

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,377 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Careful: mugged and robbed yesterday

ddoran and DW and daughter,

Thank you for posting about this awful experience. So fast ! My sincere regrets.

It is useful to have a reminder that even in the nicest neighborhoods, and on quiet Sundays - and even when generally alert - it is important to stay careful. Thankfully, you were, and so there were no serious injuries.

Your post will help others be even more cautious (hopefully not fearful).

All my best to you for an otherwise uneventful and excellent vacation.

~MarnieWDC

washington
Level Contributor
75 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Careful: mugged and robbed yesterday

Im really sorry this happened to you - I am glad no one was hurt and I hope your vacation wasnt ruined becasue of it!

We had NO incidences at all in BA - but a policeman did tell my boyfriend to take off his watch in Palermo. The watch wasnt expensive but looked it!

NB, canada
Level Contributor
166 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Careful: mugged and robbed yesterday

Thanks for the warning.

Can people familiar with the area advise if it's relatively safe to wander in the cemetary alone in the afternoon? Or are tours a better way to go?

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,537 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Careful: mugged and robbed yesterday

I am very sorry for what happened to your wife.

I have no other comment.... Just ashamed of what happens nowadays....

Giena

boston
Level Contributor
447 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Careful: mugged and robbed yesterday

thanks to all for their comments

we just wanted to all to never, ever think that a crime can not occur to them

my wife is still sore and we are home in boston and my daughter has returned to her mountain site in peru

we absolutely loved BA: sad that a violent act that occurred merely 1/2 hour before we headed home will ruin our great trip

dd

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
469 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Careful: mugged and robbed yesterday

We were just there in september, and I used to work there, and I would say you are very safe in that area. I am very sad to hear there are exceptions, but I really wouldn't worry any more than I would in Tulsa. There is no need to take a tour guide in that area unless you simply want a guide.

I am really surprised this happened.

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Careful: mugged and robbed yesterday

So sorry bcos of this bad experience.

Sadly, this has become an usual way these days. I was reading yesterday about the "bicichorros" ( thieves going on bycicles) they act where there's a lot of people, at commercial areas and take phones, bags, mp3 players and so.

Hope another tourists will take your advice.

Thank you

Silvia

Philadelphia, USA
Level Contributor
384 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Careful: mugged and robbed yesterday

Sounds like they are targeting just anyone, given that most tourists won't have a cell phone out or their MP3 player (wanting to enjoy the BsAs ambiance not the latest gossip/hit.)

Torrance
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Careful: mugged and robbed yesterday

We just came back Friday from the same area. Stayed at the Emperador hotel with a group of 196. One lady had a watch stolen as she walked with her husband on the sidewalk, another had his video camera stolen by a guy on a motorcycle as he was shooting film, and two others had fake bird poop poured on them. The robbers then offer to help "clean you off", as they snatch your wallet. Also, many of us were given conterfeit money in change by the taxi drivers. We learned quickly, only to give exact change to the taxi drivers. I'm sorry about your wife, what a horrible experience to go through. Luckily, I read about the crime in BA, and brought nothing with me. Not even my wedding ring. They tour guide told us that unemployment is 20%, so crime is very high.