We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tigre & Delta visit--is it a "must see"?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Tigre & Delta visit--is it a "must see"?

We have 3 1/2 days in BA, and do have the time to include a visit to Tigre. But am curious to get feedback on whether there would be priorities to see and visit that would maybe bump this off the list? We are not museum/art gallery people, so we would rank Tigre excursion ahead of this.

Thank you in advance.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,963 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tigre & Delta visit--is it a "must see"?

In my opinion, no, Tigre is not a must see on a 3 and a half day visit.

You will barely see Some of the neighborhoods here, why waste a full day on trains to Tigre ? If you are coming to BA , you might as well see BA.

I assume you have a guide book and hopefully a map?

Not knowing what you do like to do, it would be difficult to advise you, but a guide book is a good start for you to read up on what Buenos Aires might have for you.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,752 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tigre & Delta visit--is it a "must see"?

Hi Toronto!

One of these days, perhaps someone will offer a definition of exactly what is a "must-see."

Let me try to answer this way:

When we visited, we loved Tigre. In contrast to the bustle of the capital, it's a laid-back waterfront tourist town. You can go for a boat ride in the Parana delta, shopping at the large market and, if one likes such things, enjoy the rides in the large Parque de la Costa theme park.

Your time is short, you say? Here's what I'd do!

You'll naturally do your urban sightseeing as soon as you arrive. I found that after a couple of days, we were becoming Buenos-Airesed-out. After we'd walked up and down Florida Street a few times, gone to the presidential palace, seen the crowds jostling and the tango buskers twirling in San Telmo, we began to look for more.

If you find it happening to you, that's when you hop on the commuter train for Tigre!

By the way, Tigre is a lot more than just the Parana delta. There is a good selection of accommodations on the mainland, as well as places to sleep on some of the delta islands. A welcome center near the rail station and the big rotary will help you find places. If your circumstances allow it (we had a rental car, so the decision for us was as easy as tossing our luggage in the trunk and driving out there), consider an overnight. But even a day trip will be a delightful change from the city scenery in Buenos Aires.

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Waterford, Michigan
Level Contributor
169 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tigre & Delta visit--is it a "must see"?

We visited Tigre and took a boat ride around. My opinion - this trip could have easily been skipped. For me personally walking streets of BA was much more fun than go to Tigre. Tigre did not impress us at all. May be because we are from Michigan and here water is everywhere.....

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,963 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tigre & Delta visit--is it a "must see"?

For another opinion, I would skip Florida street, unless you want to go to the Galleries Pacifico and up at the top is the Borges Center, maybe there will be Flamenco or Tango to watch when you are here.

Speaking of ... When will you be here?

Stick to the streets of neighborhoods , cafes, parks, and some of the sightseeing spots to get the fullest Buenos Aires experience in 3 days. Don't waste your time on overly touristy locations .. the city is very large as far as getting around also, you don't want to lose too much time getting from one place to another.. Take taxis and walk.. see as much as you can while you are here. And stay up late :)

Ontario, CAN
Level Contributor
491 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tigre & Delta visit--is it a "must see"?

Hi Fellow Canucks. We have been in BA for almost a month now and would agree with everything above!! As much as we loved our trip to Tigre and the Delta, I suspect you won't have time for it after the BA Free Tours (morning and afernoon), the cemetary, Plaza de Mayo, San Telmo market and so many other "touristy" things that I think you'll feel compelled to do!! We still have a long list of buildings and museums that we have to go "back" to in order to see inside! We have had the great advantage of lots of time in the city, but it's not a place you can "fly through" in a couple of days....IMHO.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
143 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tigre & Delta visit--is it a "must see"?

Planning a trip of my own son (first time). I was attracted to Tigre, not for the town, but for the opportunity to kayak in the delta. Does this change anyone's view - is the kayaking nice enough to be worth the day trip?

(BTW, we will likely have 6 days in BA area, so likely have a little more room than the OP.)

netherlands
Level Contributor
672 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tigre & Delta visit--is it a "must see"?

What is a MUST SEE ??

I don't know, but I know we liked our trip to Tigre (not the market etc) away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Making a boat trip on a 'public boat' full with local people, walking along the canals and having a nice lunch.

The train ride to Tigre is less than an hour and on our way back we made a stop in San Isidro for a short visit.

All together we had a very pleasant day seeing something different.

For more info about our walkin the delta:http://members.virtualtourist.com/vt/tfr/1/17875d/6/176156/

CT
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tigre & Delta visit--is it a "must see"?

I was there for a week in January 09, and had an extra day free. We took the cab to the train station which is right after the river plate stadium. We took the scenic train and at the Tigre stop there is a small kiosk where the coolest tour guide is. He took us on his zodiac too a house on the delta where we had the best home made Argentine dinner and some cheap malbec. Then we toured the delta, swam at a few spots and then went to the bar where the owner is an Argentine Rastafarian. Then around 6 pm we came back to the boat landing. It was a great day for us. But we had the time to do it. Loved BA...

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,963 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tigre & Delta visit--is it a "must see"?

SaulPittsburgh, I think Tigre is a definite good Day Trip but not for someone in BA for only 3 days. Considering your enjoyment of kayaking, it seems to be perfect for you.

Did you look at the website for the Ecological Reserve on Puerto Madero.. I see kayakers around the marina sometimes..

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tigre & Delta visit--is it a "must see"?

We did a day tour from BA to Tigre and it was very ordinary (as many group tours are it seems) - I'd suggest if you do want to go then do it independently by car or train and explore from there - interesting enough sights from the tour boat but for a 3 day stay I wouldn't bother - Enjoy your time away