We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Centro Cultura Borges vs La Ventana/Complejo Tango/Esquivel?

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cebu, Philippines
Level Contributor
59 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Centro Cultura Borges vs La Ventana/Complejo Tango/Esquivel?

Are the tango shows in Centro Cultura Borges any different from the tourist Tango Shows w/o dinner? The price difference is actually pretty significant AR$180 vs AR$60.

I searched through the forums and some said the music in the Borges shows were not live but the offical website mentioned that the featured tango shows had a live orchestra.

I wouldn't want to miss out if the shows in Complejo Tango or Rojo Tango are better because of their superior quality, but if they are similar, then I don't mind missing out on the complementary drinks and transport.

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Centro Cultura Borges vs La Ventana/Complejo Tango/Esquivel?

Shows at the Centro Cultura Borges rotate. Some feature live music while others do not. I have enjoyed shows in this venue but the overall quality does not compare to the shows for export (tourist dinner shows).

Ontario, CAN
Level Contributor
489 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Centro Cultura Borges vs La Ventana/Complejo Tango/Esquivel?

We attended the show at the Borges Centre last night and paid over a 1/3 less than we paid for dinner tango show a couple of weeks ago. I thought the quality of the production last night excellent. Other than the fact that the setting is theatre style versus "old world cafe style", I was just as happy with the show itself....not to mention I wasn't so disappointed with the dinner that it spoiled my evening as it did a few weeks ago. We felt we got real value for money last night....and yes, live music too!!

Cebu, Philippines
Level Contributor
59 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Centro Cultura Borges vs La Ventana/Complejo Tango/Esquivel?

Thanks canuck50,

May I ask how you bought the tickets? I tried online but I couldn't get them to show me dates further out than February.

Do they sell out quickly or did you buy them on the day itself?

Cebu, Philippines
Level Contributor
59 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Centro Cultura Borges vs La Ventana/Complejo Tango/Esquivel?

Hi dr_dawggy,

Just wondering exactly how the shows are not on par with the "export" Tango shows? Do they attract less talented dancers, the production numbers and customes older? Choreography less creative, too modern?

Or is it mostly luck of the draw because shows rotate? Would you mind mentioning which Tourist shows you would rate head and shoulders above the Borges Tango shows? Might just do both Borges and "tourist" Tango shows. Thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
266 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Centro Cultura Borges vs La Ventana/Complejo Tango/Esquivel?

The shows I attended at the Center Cultural Borges were kind of short. I planned an evening, and I was back on the street in about an hour. Of course the program varies, so yours may be different. However, I've seen four different ones at the Borges, and they were all short.

There's less spectacle at those shows. They're more educational and serious.

If you're a tango fanatic, you'll want to attend several venues. If you just want to see something without sending a lot of money, the Borges is fine. It's a small place with open seating, so if you want to sit all the way up front, it's usually possible.

Edited: 10 February 2010, 04:36
WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,206 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Centro Cultura Borges vs La Ventana/Complejo Tango/Esquivel?

We have enjoyed both venues: as Dr. Dawggy mentioned, the shows vary at Centro Borges, but they seem to be short, interesting and whenever we went the music was not live. We enjoyed the feel of a real performance and thought the quality of the dancing was quite good - more modern interpretation than traditional (for tourists) Tango.

These are our experiences with the tourist - oriented shows:

We loved La Ventana (even the dinner was good); Carlos Gordel gets very good reviews, too;

El Querandi had an historic theme - it was well performed, but we did not enjoy it nearly as much as La Ventana - and the food was mediocre and overpriced, the wait staff brusque;

Cafe Tortoni downstairs was a good program with a comedian - singers-dancers etc. It felt like a cruise ship to us, but the show was pretty good (if you speak Castillano). For the food - only una Picata and drinks are recommended;

Upstairs in Tortoni the show was very well done - international crowd with some Portenos - same eating suggestions as upstairs - Very Touristy, but good quality and fun.

El Viejo Almacen was AWFUL ! Avoid it.

You do not need transportation to any of these shows - in fact it gets in the way. Take a radio taxi;

None of these offer a dinner as good as the restaurants....someone else can chime in about Tango Rojo - the most expensive show/dinner, but perhaps the best ? No se.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
548 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Centro Cultura Borges vs La Ventana/Complejo Tango/Esquivel?

Are you sure the show at the Borges Cultural Center IS ARS$60.?????? We were there in Jan 09 and paid ARS$35/pp and this was to sit up front.

Planning on taking my kids there when they visit in April. We really enjoyed it last year and yes.....it was an hour's show and the music was NOT live.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,206 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Centro Cultura Borges vs La Ventana/Complejo Tango/Esquivel?

moreweird, Hola,

I picked up the brochures yesterday:

Biend de Tango = Ar $40 (SAT. & MON)

Tango y Musica = AR $30 ( Sundays @ 20 hs)

BsAS Pasion de Tango = Can't find a price - but surely in the same ballpark

AND ORQUESTA EN VIVO (Wed. & Fri)

Nice choices, have a great time.

~Marnie

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
266 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Centro Cultura Borges vs La Ventana/Complejo Tango/Esquivel?

I remember paying around $10 US for the shows at the Borges, and there were vouchers all over the mall with buy 1 get 1 free offers for those shows.

10. Re: Centro Cultura Borges vs La Ventana/Complejo Tango/Esquivel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2010, 07:16