We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Young Couple with 5 nights free in Argentina

Tampa, Fl
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Young Couple with 5 nights free in Argentina

My girlfriend and I have booked a last minute trip to Buenos Aires for 6 days and 5 nights and are looking for your recommendations on what are the best things we can do to make this a memorable trip.

Argentina is such a big country so we don't know whether we should try and do as much as possible in Buenos Aires or if we should just spend the first night there and then take a flight to explore other parts of the country for a few days and then return.

So far we've looked into the possibility of taking a flight/bus to Iguassu for a night or two or flying for a couple of days to Mendoza. Would trying to do both be too ambitious? If you had to pick between the two which would you recommend?

Also are there any cheap airlines you'd recommend? Is it cheaper to book there or through sites like kayak.com?

We are open to everything - we want to make this a trip to truly remember!

Any recommendations you have on what you would do if you only had 5 nights would be very much appreciated!! :)

Thanks in advance!

Buenos Aires to Palermo Malbec Wine...
25 Reviews
from US$111.00*
Buenos Aires Pub Crawl
12 Reviews
from US$20.00*
Buenos Aires Steak Dinner at...
58 Reviews
from US$90.00*
Special Offer
Buenos Aires Bike Tour: Recoleta and...
73 Reviews
from US$40.00*
US$118.00
Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,652 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Young Couple with 5 nights free in Argentina

Buenos Aires has much to offer a young couple--museums, historical sites, quaint neighborhoods and street fairs, world class restaurants and vibrant night life that literally lasts until dawn. With only five nights to spend, I would not recommend taking one much less two trips to other regions of Argentina.

You might consider exploring Buenos Aires and taking a day trip to a) an estancia (ranch), b) Colonia (a colonial town in Uruguay with an interesting history and a preserved historic district), or c) a trip to the Tigre delta to explore the intricate waterways and small islands that make up the area.....

If you do decide to visit Iguazu (which I recommend over Mendoza) you should by no means take the bus...18 hours up and 18 hours back will gobble up your limited time.

Edited: 10 February 2010, 12:05
San Carlos de...
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Young Couple with 5 nights free in Argentina

Fly roundtrip to Bariloche and enjoy the Lakes District of Patagonia for 5 days.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,419 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Young Couple with 5 nights free in Argentina

6 days in BA...

I would spend the first 3 in BA, exploring and seeing as much as possible. Take a late nap, stay out late (which is so easy to do) and eat and drink and see as many of the sights as you can.

Your choices for the next 2 days would be ... a Day trip to Colonia, putting you back in BA that night to eat, drink etc and not have to deal with moving hotels, luggage etc.

Or a night in Iguazu staying at the Sheraton .. this will be pricey, hotel is expensive and you would need to fly.

My sincere advice to you is to make a list of things here that you feel you must see and work out an itinerary where you travel as little as possible and see as much on your list as you can.

In 6 days you won't be able to see everything or even much, so you want to work on that itinerary.

Remember, everytime you fly in and out you spend soooo much time with luggage, security etc and checking into and out of hotels etc... you don't want to waste the time you have..

Another idea would be 3 days in BA and 3 days somewhere else but when will this be ? weather/time of year make a difference too.

Salta, Argentina
Level Contributor
269 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Young Couple with 5 nights free in Argentina

Hi, if you want an unforgettable experience, mixing landscapes, culture, wine, food, please think about Salta and Jujuy Provinces( you’ll need 2 nights or 3 ), take a look these pictures:

…live.com/browse.aspx/Salta

www.maam.org.ar/index.php…

…live.com/browse.aspx/…20Flats

…live.com/browse.aspx/Cafayate

You won’t regret!

Warm regards.

David

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,596 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Young Couple with 5 nights free in Argentina

I agree with DAVID,... Not a better advice for fove nights with a fantastic landscape and probably THE experience for a young couple.

Just take the most exciting movies it he last years and sum them up to build the most fantastic, dramatic scenic...

Giena

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,652 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Young Couple with 5 nights free in Argentina

Look, Salta is nice. Bariloche is nice. Mendoza is nice. Iguazu is nice. If you had two months, you could do it all. Even a couple of weeks, you could do a lot. But you do not. You have 5 nights. Five nights. Prioritize, based on your interests and the wow factor of the various options. I still say...Buenos Aires and a day trip...or Buenos Aires and one night at Iguazy (fly up early on one day, return late the next, stay at the Sheraton to make the most of your time there)...

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,454 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Young Couple with 5 nights free in Argentina

If this is your first trip to BA, I would say to stay there the whole time. There is alot to do, it's a big city. There are musuems all day and tango's all night. There is meandering to do, and cemeteries to visit, there are lots of cafe's that you will want to sit at. There are CD's stores selling tango music for a few bucks that you will have to spend time in, there is Boca, San Telmo to Recoletta and Florida Street to Santa Fe to plazas and plazas and plazas. There are markets and malbec's to discover. And when you come back to BA some other time, you will find alot more that you didn't see the first time around.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,630 posts
747 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Young Couple with 5 nights free in Argentina

With 5 nights free............................do yourself a favor..........STAY in Buenos Aires. There is SO much to do there and you can experience a relaxed,delightful time....galavanting to n'hoods,museums,and fabulous restaurants.

I practice what I preach....coming in march for 9 weeks(second trip in a year) and staying in BA, with 2 nights in San Antonio de Areco and some day trips to the Delta.

IF you must experience another place.....i vote with Dr.D...Iguazu is spectacular.

You will NOT get bored in BA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

somerville, new...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Young Couple with 5 nights free in Argentina

BA sounds great...Happy Traveler mentioned that there are lots of cafes...I'm wondering whether there is a particular area where lots of cafes are clustered near each other, with lots of outdoor tables,great for getting food and people watching...The Old Jewish Quarter in Seville, Spain, is like this, and I wondered if BA has such an area?

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,419 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Young Couple with 5 nights free in Argentina

Palermo Viejo and Soho have a lot of cafes as well as Palermo Hollywood having a lot of restaurants all clustered together.

In Recoleta, near the Cemetery/Cultural Center, there is a "strip" of good cafes and some restaurants.

You never go more than a block , 2 at the most before you come upon a cafe or restaurant here.. mas o menos ..