We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much do things cost in BA?

atlanat ga
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic

We are thinking about traveling to Buenoes Aires in Sept. or Oct. I have heard mixed things on the cost of traveling there. How much does it cost to go to a nice dinner, get a drink at a pub, 30 min taxi ride? Is there anything that is a really good deal?

Thanks in advance,

Kerry

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,958 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much do things cost in BA?

LOL,

Less than they cost in Paris or London :D

A taxi meter starts at $4.60 pesos .. about $1.40 ...

Nice is relative.. we eat out all the time, it is very affordable.

A drink at the Alvear can cost you $40 pesos, a drink in a pub can cost you maybe $10 pesos ... this is a guess since we don't drink in pubs :)

Same as anywhere, it all depends on where you go but things are very affordable here for visitors.

What is expensive is easier..

Air fare to get here ..

Hotels ...

I suggest you read these forums and see what everyone says about costs of various things..

While prices have gone up here, I doubt visitors will notice that much if at all.

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much do things cost in BA?

Here is a post, from not too long ago, that you may find helpful:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312741-i979-k2905…

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
224 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much do things cost in BA?

Wine is cheap!

Food is relitively cheap for the most part, close to the prices in Atlanta.

Taxis are super cheap, but walking is half the fun.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,472 posts
763 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much do things cost in BA?

Yes, as the others mentioned it's all relative. You can spend really low amounts here or you can spend relatively large amounts here. However, it's much more affordable here vs. most places around the world. This is one of the places where the US dollar is very high and the peso is weak and getting weaker by the day. So the dollar goes a long way here.

Inflation has been HORRIBLE here over the past few years but the exchange rate with the dollar has helped make up for that as you get a lot for the dollar. For many years the exchange rate was about 3 to 1 but it's 3.85 pesos to $1 US now.

Dining out here even at really nice places is cheap compared to many places in Europe. Compared to the USA it's not as great of a value but still much cheaper than fine restaurants in the USA. There are very few places where you will get sticker shock going out to nice places here. Nothing like Paris where at a 5 star restaurant you could get stuck with a u$s 500+ bill for 2 people.

Taxis as mentioned are still cheap here. Although they have gotten much more expensive over the years. When I started coming here many years ago the meter started out at 0.90 cents (Argentina pesos). Now it starts out at 4.60 pesos to give you an idea on inflation. It's still cheap compared to other places and World capital cities.

The people that notice it the most are people that live here or visitors that come back over and over each year. Most other tourists will find it inexpensive. I've never taken a Metro/subway here before but it's super cheap here.

Other things are fairly cheap here. However I'll say the shopping here isn't good so don't expect anything particular special. Electronics here are a huge rip off with the import taxes and IVA tax and brand name luxury items here are much more expensive than other places. You can find some leather items in some high quality stores that are cheaper than in the USA but overall I don't find the shopping good here and save it for the USA or Europe where the quality is much higher.

You will find Buenos Aires an affordable city compared to other places around the world.

Have a great trip and post a report when you are here.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
295 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much do things cost in BA?

The toughest part of the expense equation is the round trip flight...plus it's a long haul from Atlanta. The exchange rate and cost of living is still quite favorable, though creeping up steadily from the ridiculously cheap conditions of just a few years ago.

We're going from Charleston, through Atlanta, next month. Round trip air for two about $2,600. Looking forward to the trip and exposure to the Buenos Aires lifestyle. We have gone to London, Dublin, Amsterdam and Paris the last few years and are looking forward to avoiding the 10 euro coffees and beers, the 200 Euro meals, and the general high cost of everything.

Buenos Aires has great boutique hotels at very reasonable prices, and they cater to English speaking tourists and help guide us around with suggestions for must-see sites and dining/entertainment options. Cabs are really inexpensive, and walking is pleasant and safe in the areas you will want to visit. Can't wait to get there!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,472 posts
763 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much do things cost in BA?

Quakerboy,

I got a good laugh from your "10 Euro coffees and beers and 200 Euro meals and general high cost of everything in Europe". How true!

Granted it's possible to go to less expensive places in Europe but overall it's fairly expensive there. I spent the entire last summer there last year and it was super expensive.

Funny about the 10 Euro coffee comment. I was just joking with one of my clients the other day about how expensive a coffee ends up costing in St. Mark's Square in Venice. Once you add up all the sitting fees, etc I think a cup of coffee ends up costing like 20 Euros. LOL. or like 15 Euro waters. Still, it's one of those things you just have to do when you are there.

Still, Europe is really great. We go every chance we can.

You are definitely right about the high cost of airfare. I just booked tickets to spend Christmas in New York City and prices are sky high right now. That will be the biggest expense typically. But once you get here it's not bad.

Edited: 14 February 2010, 17:55
California Central...
Level Contributor
237 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much do things cost in BA?

The biggest shock for me when we return in April (since last being there in the early 90s) will be the prices. I lived in BA during hyper-inflation when between 1988 and 1991 it reached 5,000% (yes thousand). Things were so bad that restaurants put their prices on chalk boards so that they could easily change the prices from one day to the next - hopefully, those days will never return. For old timers on this board: when I arrived in BA in 1987 a 100 Austal note was worth $100 (dollars) - when I departed five years later it was worth less than a penny!

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
694 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much do things cost in BA?

Scarlet & saintba....couldn't agree with you more. The air fares HAVE been outrageous this year!!!!!!!! but.......we're "sucking it up", because of the relatively inexpensive cab and bus costs & restaurant prices,etc.

Question: WHAT is happening to real estate????????Think 1BR/!BA ap't OR 2 BR/2BA ap't in Recoleta or Palermo Botanico or Palermo Norte. Is the market still rising? OR has it leveled out a bit.?

We are returning to BA in just 2 weeks for the second time in a year....and getting the urge to see what may be available to purchase????? OR is it wise to wait to purchase?????

Cristina's behavior leaves a lot to be desired....but so does Pres.O's(IMHO)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,958 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much do things cost in BA?

I have been told by realtor friends that the market is picking up.

We have friends who sold an apt for asking price, in a week.

I see more and more Vende signs everywhere in Recoleta.

I have a real estate website that we used before we moved here, to learn our way around the market before we landed..

www.argenprop.com.ar

It is all in Spanish but you can figure it out .. plus it is just fun to look.

Air fares are a pain in the neck .. as are hotels.

That is one of the reasons that apartment rentals are such a great idea, in addition to what you get for the money. You just have to do lots of homework and know what to look for and know locations.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,472 posts
763 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much do things cost in BA?

morewierd,

DEFINITELY the airfares have been pretty insane this year. Ironic as tourism is down here. The reason is the airlines have cut capacity and # of flights. Since the recession began they have been cutting the # of flights and some carriers like American a while back just eliminated entire routes like Chicago to Buenos Aires.

I'm not sure prices will come down. Especially for peak times. I just booked 4 seats in coach for 2 adults and 2 kids on American for Christmas and it was $6,200 with taxes. For cattle class. :(

As far as the real estate market, it is picking up. Although sales volume was down drastically in 2009 prices in the premium areas like Recoleta and Palermo didn't go down much. I've always said many years ago the lack of subprime and junk loans/mortgages here would keep prices high and that's been exactly the case. There is NOTHING safe to invest in here in Argentina besides real estate and land as locals use real estate here as virtual "piggy banks" so prices should do well heading into the future.

Prices here are real and genuine unlike the USA where prices are STILL being artifically manipulated by the US government with them backstopping all the junk debt and loans. There are probably another 7 million homes that will get foreclosed on in the USA. That isn't the case in Argentina.

A few weeks ago I listed an $800,000+ property and sold it close to the asking price within 2 short weeks. It was sold to a local. In the past few weeks have received 4 offers on properties for sale in Recoleta.

Last year my wife and I sold one of our properties in Palermo near the USA Embassy. I very much regret selling it now as it's impossible to make that kind of return in the bank accounts which aren't paying anything. I sold it for $3,100 per sq. meter.

I don't see any huge increases or decreases here. I think heading into the future hard assets like premium real estate that is not leveraged in the best neighborhoods of the continent will be important investments. I don't trust "paper" and pretty much saw all of the problems that are happening in the USA years ago. The bloodshed in the USA real estate market isn't quite over yet until all the shadow inventory clears up.

I've said it for years and I'll say it again...I'd much rather own real estate here vs. in the USA where it's not really certain what properties are actually worth.

PS - If you do a search on the boards I think you'll find where some of us were talking about the benefits of not having insane leverage and mortgages here. There were some posters talking about how their 2nd homes were safer in Miami, Las Vegas and other parts. Ouch.

My wife and I just looked at a condo in Miami. To give you an idea just how far prices have fallen. A property we looked at 1 block from the beach sold in November 2005 for $460,000. The asking price now? $122,000. 70% lower in a few short years. I think those that mistakenly assumed real estate was safer in the USA have pretty much disappeared.

Edited: 14 February 2010, 23:06