We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No Shorts in BA?

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
No Shorts in BA?

Is it okay to wear short in Buenos Aires? It sounds like it can get very hot during the day and would be more comfortable in shorts rather than long pants. Just wonder if that is acceptable.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No Shorts in BA?

It is perfectly acceptable to wear shorts in BA during the day. I do everyday along with most of the neighborhood..

Many people wear long pants in the evening when going out to dinnetr.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
371 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No Shorts in BA?

I saw many people wearing shorts when I visited Buenos Aires a few weeks back

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,873 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No Shorts in BA?

A few weeks back, every day was in the 90s and high 80s ... it has cooled down some, nights are cooler.

On a warm sunny day, cargo shorts or similar would be fine, but evenings you might want a pair of long pants.

Depends on when you will be here..

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No Shorts in BA?

Thank you for the information. We are leaving in a few days. We were planing on dressing up more for evenings just wanted to make sure that during the day shorts would be acceptable. Thanks again.

surrey
Level Contributor
108 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No Shorts in BA?

Just returned from 2 weeks in BA, many people in shorts at all hours. Very casual wear is normal except in expensive restaurants. BUT...if you wear shorts, do spray your legs with mosquito repellant, they are in abundance this year.

buenos aires...
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No Shorts in BA?

5 March 2010 - The temperatures have been quite mild. According to weather.com, temperatures won't go much over 80F in the next 10 days.

Dress as you would any where.

buenos aires...
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No Shorts in BA?

Only Americans wear white tennis shoes and stick out like a sore thumb (or toe)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,873 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No Shorts in BA?

I saw a man yesterday in shorts , polo shirt and some kind of shoe .. not a sneaker.. but he wore white socks pulled way up ... that sort of look is not seen much here, at least on any locals that I know of :)

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No Shorts in BA?

"Only Americans wear white tennis shoes". Well not exactly correct....

I have never really looked at tennis shoes/trainers during my daily walks around the city,but yesterday was an exception.

There are many people wearing white tennis shoes/trainers in the city and in a large proportion to the other colors. Interestingly enough, these same occupants(99%) of the white trainers are speaking perfect Porteno Castellano.

Visitors who are planning a visit here, please don't worry what color of tennis shoe you pack. Come here and enjoy your time with any color;just wear short socks in order to blend in.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
48 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No Shorts in BA?

We just got back and I had been worried about what to wear and left all my shorts at home even though every day was shorts weather. At our hotel, we saw everything from shorts and flip flops (these were not Americans) to slacks. Wear whatever you would wear anywhere else during the day. We did not do any late nights, so perhaps you do need something more dressy at night. We saw very few fashionatas even in Recoleta.