We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palermo location advice please!

Stockholm
13 posts
Save Topic
Palermo location advice please!

Hi there,

I'm looking for a place in Palermo to stay with my girlfriend and our infant child. We're aiming to stay in BA for four months and we're looking for an apartment in the Palermo neighborhood. We've found a couple of interesting apartments, but we would really like some advice on what are the best streets.

Apartment 1:

Uriarte and Guemes

Apartment 2:

Ruggieri and Cervino

Apartment 3:

Paraguay and Armenia

Apartment 4:

Thames and Guatemala

Apartment 5:

Charcas and Guise

We're looking for a somewhat quiet street, at least not with noisy clubs or pubs. But still we want to be near some coffee shops, restaurants and in a nice trendy area that's good for taking a walk. We'd also like to stay within walking distance to a park that's good to spend some time with a kid. Is the Las Heras park the best one you think?

I'm also wondering if the Uriarte and Guemes apartment is too close to railroad tracks? I read that this area should be avoided.

What's your opinion? Which one of the apartments has the best location?

Thanks for your help!

/Jonas (and Emma)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,079 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palermo location advice please!

Do you have a map ? or when you look at the apartments, you can map them and see where they are regarding tracks, big thoroughfares etc.

If you post the links to the apts, people can give you better opinions.

If the apartment is in the back of the building ( contrafrente) it will probably be more quiet than in the front (frente) .. if it is on a higher floor and sometimes if it is in a newer building.

And if there is no construction going on next door :)

I especially like the Ruggieri and Cervino neighborhood ..

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,622 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palermo location advice please!

The apartments you have listed are in very different sections of Palermo. The most upscale area is Ruggieri and Guemes...there are several nearby parks and plazas as well as good restaurants. This is not the "young-hip-section of Palermo Soho--it is more refined and family oriented.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
457 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palermo location advice please!

We stayed in an apartment on Ruggieri and Cervino recently. It was a perfect fit for our family.

Stockholm
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Palermo location advice please!

Thanks for your advice Scarlett01, dr__dawggy and someIndianGuy.

Scarlett01: Yeah, I've been looking at Google Maps to find the location of the apartments. All of them seem to be within walking distance to the parks in Palermo. However, I'm not sure which streets that are the thouroughfares. My guess is that Santa Fe and Las Heras are bigger thoroughfares, is that right? Any other streets in Palermo with a lot of traffic that should be avoided?

There Uriarte And Guemes apartment is here:

http://tinyurl.com/ycjumob

It's supposed to be in the large Palermo One apartment skyscraper. Any opinions on that and the area surrounding it?

Paraguay and Armenia:

http://tinyurl.com/yb4396l

Is there a lot of pubs and bars in this neighborhood?

Ruggieri and Cervino:

http://tinyurl.com/yd9uec8

Any opinions on this apartment complex?

Charcas and Guise

http://tinyurl.com/y23ekxf

What is the Charcas street like? Is it a busy one?

dr__dawggy: I guess you mean that the upscale neighborhood is Ruggieri and Cervino, is that correct?

someIndianGuy: Do you happen to have a link to the apartment you rented? What was the pros and cons of the apartment and the neighborhood?

Thanks for your advice!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,079 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palermo location advice please!

Yes, the large streets and also those small ones with a lot of bus traffic are not too desirable.

Of all the apartments, the ones that I liked the locations of best.. and they are all good locations.. is Ruggieri and Cervino ( yes, upscale and charming) and Charcas & Guise. also very charming..

The others are located in more busy and possibly noisy places, with tons of restaurants and bars. I have not slept in that part of town so I only go by what I imagine it will be like , trying to sleep , especially on weekends.

The great thing about BA is that it is so easy to get all over town cheaply and easily, so you can stay in say, the Cervino apt and still spend your days in Palermo Viejo and Soho and have dinner in San Telmo etc ..

Colonel Diaz is a busy street, Las Heras, Santa Fe ... hope this helps..

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
707 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Palermo location advice please!

I am a BIG fan of Ruggieri & cervino. We are there now and our total stay will be 2 months. Also rented through bytArgentina and they AND the owner of the ap't have been wonderful. We are in one of the towers(Senoria bldg)......there is a gym and swimming pool, fabulous n'hood for markets and restaurants AND the parks and public transport. We take buses everywhere.

We're here a yr. ago and stayed on Castex and Cavia,very close by.

The ap't we have is $1260/month and i couldn't recommend it more highly.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
707 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Palermo location advice please!

Ziper79.......I just looked at the bytArgentina site.......plunked in Ruggieri for a street address......and 10 possibilities came up. The first one: Ruggieri & cervino is where we are staying.....it has "white" upholstered furniture. interestingly enough, the price has just gone to $1300/month. Still worth it.

You will LOVE it here in Buenos Aires!!!

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,622 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Palermo location advice please!

"dr__dawggy: I guess you mean that the upscale neighborhood is Ruggieri and Cervino, is that correct?"

oops..yes, I meant Ruggieri y Cervino.....great area....I, too, have stayed in Torre la Senoria...enjoyed it so much that I have returned again and again....

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
457 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Palermo location advice please!

We stayed in torre san marcos. The fact that dr__dawggy praised this area in one of the posts clinced the deal for me. Also, the owner(s) are in NYC and since I live in Dallas, I could deal with them locally. The apartment listing is http://www.vrbo.com/67154. Everything about Cervino and Ruggieri is great. Great restaurants near by. Perisicco and Volta a few blocks away. There was a bank right under the tower. Super market just around the corner. I also enjoyed the walk along the Av Libertador to Plaza Francia.

10. Re: Palermo location advice please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2010, 01:17