We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rip off capital of the world

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Rip off capital of the world

We have traveled extensively throughout Asia, Europe, Mexico, etc & this is the worst place we have ever been. All they seem to do is want to rip you off. We were quoted outrageous fares at the airport. Tonight we were sitting at a cafe in a so called safe "tourist area". I went inside while my husband watched my bag. Someone tapped him on the shoulder & while he turned somebody else ripped off my bag. The police are of no help here. None can or will try to speak English. We were lucky, I guess. Another couple had just got held up at knife point in a so called "tourist area". Give me the slums of Bangkok or Beijing anytime over here. Again, we aren't first time travelors & are used to scams, but this is terrible here.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
435 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rip off capital of the world

Roaming Ducks,

I'm sorry you had surch a terrible experience. This forum is full of warnings -- BsAs has a fair amount of thieves. I will tell you that I know I was targeted twice and may have been targeted even more. I took a trip to Costa Rica in Feb/March and the problems with thieves were just as prevalent. Bottom line is don't let punks and thugs steal your vacation.

Yep, there are lots of thieves and rip off artists, the trick is to know what you're up against.

I bet if you travelled into the provinces, you'd meet some folks like many in Nebraska -- very kind and ready to give you the shirt off their back if you should need it.

Philadelphia, USA
Level Contributor
384 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rip off capital of the world

So sorry to hear about your theft. We were actually warned several times by Portenos to be careful....

The scum are everywhere; I had my wallet slipped from my handbag in an upscale Philly restaurant. Please try to enjoy the rest of your trip. We met so many friendly and helpful Portenos, it was hard to reconcile with the reports of the crime here on TA.

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rip off capital of the world

Thanks, We really are careful. We've been in some really bad places in the Asia & were have lived there & in England for 5 years. This is to a new level. We always read the tripadvisor warnings. I've avoided more thefts than I can believe. Hopefully, the rest of the trip will be better. We are here for my husband's work, so have 3 weeks to go here.

Branford...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rip off capital of the world

For such extensive travelers I am surprised that your first and only post to TripAdvisor is about your horrible experience in Buenos Aires. Not a single question before your trip? No trip reports on your visits to Mexico, Asia and Europe and their safe slums? I have no reason to doubt you had a bad experience in Buenos Aires...some visitors do...but I am just a suspicious old goat so forgive me.

Clearly you know about Trip Advisor and you hopefully read the posts that people take the time to post here. Perhaps the most avidly read posts concern scams and crime. There are hundreds of posts talking ad nauseum about the best, cheapest and safest ways to get to and from our airports. In addition there are stories, warning and safety tips galore posted here about protecting your personal property, what to carry with you and how to minimize your potential loss, Of course even the most prepared and diligent traveler has a lapse of dilligence and in a second...you are a victim.

Your experience has clearly ruined your trip and I understand that. You should realize, however, that the vast majority of visitors to Buenos Aires have no problems whatsover. And let's face it...some visitors to Mexico, Asia and Europe have lost more than their purses. It is a question of preparedness and the luck of the draw. Unfortunately you pulled the short straw.

Buenos Aires is not as safe as your living room. But then no place on earth is. The potential for scams and crimes is present the moment you walk out of your door. I am sorry about your situation...and I apologize in advance for questioning your story...we have had some first time posters trashing Buenos Aires because of a bad experience with no prior postings and no further posting...as I said..I am a suspicious old goat.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,922 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rip off capital of the world

What a shame that your visit here was marred by a theft.

I hope you learn from the experience and read Forums and Guide Book Warnings about not leaving your valuables unattended, not expecting people in foreign lands to understand English and to do your homework Before the trip.

If you find the slums of Bangkok safer than Buenos Aires, then this says more about you than it does Buenos Aires.

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
512 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rip off capital of the world

Roaming Ducks

You can read all the forums and guidebook warnings and still be ripped off by clever thieves. It's not your fault and you are not obligated to post about previous travels before posting a negative experience. It helps to remind us to be more diligent, and take take more precautions. Hope you enjoy the remainder of your stay!

Rimouski (Québec)
Level Contributor
356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rip off capital of the world

What would have been your reaction if I was to post the following comment after a trip to New York?

"The police are of no help here. None can or will try to speak French"

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rip off capital of the world

I;m really sorry if offended anyone in this country. I usually post to Lonely Planet. Trip Advisor is great. I must have missed the one that said you need to attach your purse to your chair with mountain climbing gear while you are sitting around a cafe in a tourist area with other people at the table. That wasn't necessary in Jakata, Bangkok or India. Guess we were just unlucky & got hit by some good theives. By the way, the Tourist Police are quite nice. Hope the rest of our trip is enjoyable.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,922 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rip off capital of the world

Of course you offended people ! Did you think people who live in Buenos Aires, honest good people , don't read travel forums?

That would be like me complaining about all the jerks in Omaha ... it is rude to post this way but then, you have not really posted much on Trip Advisor so you might not have noticed these things.

{This is the first thing that came up when I googled Crime in Bangkok ..

From Virtual Tourist:

Bangkok is generally a safe place for travellers however like any big city it does have it's fair share of crime.You should be very careful when you are walking alone at night if you are alone .For example , guys on motorbikes snatching handbags from unsuspecting female victims and knifing them in the process.I've know a couple of people getting their bags snatched even during the day so it's always better to be safe than sorry. }

So going by that, I and most people who travel know that everywhere you go, there are thieves and they wait for unsuspecting tourists to leave a purse on a chair , unwatched, or stand in the street with an iPhone or expensive camera.

The more you travel , the more you learn these things.

The more you read Travel forums and get information that can help you, the better your trips are likely to be.

And the more you post on forums, the better your forum etiquette will be.

Philadelphia, USA
Level Contributor
384 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rip off capital of the world

BTW, when we were eating al fresco in a restaurant in San Telmo on a Sunday, my friend and I with our handbags on our laps, the waiter came through and told several Portenas to hold onto their bags. One had hers slung over the back of her chair, which was on a walkway between tables.