We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Counterfit free money source?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
170 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Best Counterfit free money source?

Whats the best source of real, not fake money.

My choices are:

1. NAtional Bank at the EZE airport

2. a bank teller (ATM) machine

3. a U.S. bank before i leave (they get their money I am told from a US Federal reserve bank.

Special Offer
Buenos Aires Super Saver: City...
131 reviews
from US$135.58*
US$152.63
Iguazu Falls Private Day Trip from...
4 reviews
from US$1,106.00*
Full Day Tour at a Farm in San...
54 reviews
from US$170.00*
Buenos Aires Dining Experience...
132 reviews
from US$105.00*
Branford...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Counterfit free money source?

On rare occasions I have read here of people getting a bad bill from an ATM and I would think it might even be possible in US banks because they are not overly familiar with the currency. I have never had a problem with the National Bank at the airport and I typically exchange a couple of thousand dollars.

You have to see these tellers check out currency to see why. When you give them money each bill is check and double checked and marked and sometimes put through machines and if a bill has the slightest imperfection or if there is the slightest doubt it comes back to you.

So my answer is the bank at the airport and branches of the bank in the city. You will have a line for sure but again they really scrutinize currency. The key is small bills. Always pay with the largest bill possible and keep your small bills. While I have heard small bills can be fake it is less likely. Of course once you have your Argentine money it is possible for you to receive fake money as change but "it" happens. Good luck. You can always walk around with pockets full of peso coins.....

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,640 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Counterfit free money source?

I cash a minimum of US 2,000 at Banco de la Nacion on every trip I make to Argentina. I have exchanged up to US10,000 in increments for extended stays. I have never received a fake bill.

I also have a relationship with ALHEC in downtown Buenos Aires (on Paraguay just about a half a block from Florida). I have exchanged money there numerous times and have never received a fake bill.

I stopped using ATM's several years ago when transaction fees imposed by local banks and by my home bank lowered the effective exchange rate to unacceptable levels.

Not all US banks deal in Argentine Pesos. Most of those that do will offer a low rate of exchange.

IF you do receive a fake bill from a reputable source it will be an exception...maybe one fake 100 peso note per thousand.This may reduce the effective rate of exchange a bit...but even if you factor in an occasional fake note vs exchanging money at a US bank at a rate 25 or 30% below the exchange rate you will receive in Argentina, you are still ahead by exchanging in Argentina. The equation changes, of course, if you find a US bank that will offer a good rate of exchange (somewhere near the 3.85 (approximate) you will receive at Banco de la Nacion or ALHEC.

www.dolarhoy.com will show the current rate of exchange at various locations in Buenos Aires. Measure this against what a local bank in the US offers to determine where to exchange.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
739 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Counterfit free money source?

Last year we seemed to be focused on Banco Nacion.......at the airport and then on Santa Fe in Palermo.

This year we changed much money at Banco Nacion at the airport and we are also using SANTENDER RIO right downstairs from our ap't bldg. Salguero/Segui. They are courteous and the lines are not that long, first thing in the AM. Exchange rate the same as Banco Nacion. I'm sure other branches are just as good.

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,640 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Counterfit free money source?

hmmm... you are staying in one of the Torres at Torres las Plazas? Great choice! Have you discovered all the local restaurants and cafes?

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Counterfit free money source?

We stayed in BA for 9 days in February at the Marriott Plaza. We exchanged money at the ATM of the Banco de Patagonia, across the street from the Marriott, and had no problems. However, we met people there who had gotten counterfeit bills from an ATM at a different bank. Bottom line, nothing is safe in BA. We also spoke with two other couples who were mugged in Recoleta, which is one of the city's finest (but not safest) neighborhoods.

I personally had no crime problems in BA and loved the city. However, later in my trip my pocket was picked in Puerto Varas, in the Lake District of Chile. My wallet was taken, containing cash, credit cards, drivers license and passports. Fortunately, the thief threw away the wallet, after taking only the cash, and the police recovered it. I got the rest back.

Before we left the states my wife had bought me a theft-proof "man purse" at AAA and I was too vain to use it. I won't make that mistake again. Another solution is a money belt to wear under your outer clothes.

Neither approach protects against counterfeit money, so I suggest changing money at a bank teller's window and checking for watermarks before leaving the counter.

South America is beautiful, but you have to be careful.

6. Re: Best Counterfit free money source?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2010, 07:17