We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paying the Arg Reciprocity Fee if u are connecting at EZE

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dl
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Paying the Arg Reciprocity Fee if u are connecting at EZE

If your arrive in BA at EZE from the USA and are connecting to another flight to Chile, will you be required to pay the reciporcity fee at EZE?

YYC
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Paying the Arg Reciprocity Fee if u are connecting at EZE

I would not think so if you are connecting as you do not go through customs/immigration. Legally you are intransit. Could be wrong.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
991 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paying the Arg Reciprocity Fee if u are connecting at EZE

As long as you do not clear immigration into Argentina at EZE you should not have to pay the recip fee. You will though be required to pay the fee once you arrive and clear immigration in Santiago!

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,682 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paying the Arg Reciprocity Fee if u are connecting at EZE

Hi Washington!

Here's how it works, in both Buenos Aires and Santiago.

The booth for collecting the Reciprocity Fee is located just before you come to passport control. If you go through passport control, at either Buenos Aires Pistarini International Airport (EZE) or Santiago Merino Airport (SCL), those holding passports from the United States, Canada, Australia and perhaps certain others must pay the special arrival tax. (If you forget to pay, passport control will unceremoniously tell you to go back and pay.)

If you don't go through passport control, such as if you're a transit passenger and do not leave the secure area to get your luggage or step out of the airport, no one collects it.

Naturally, if you are overnighting in Buenos Aires, you'll have to clear passport control and pay.

The special tax is not collected for those arriving by land or sea, or at any other airport except at Arrivals in EZE and SCL. Both these airports have just one international terminal, so you do not need to leave the secure area for the purpose of changing terminals solely between two international flights. Naturally, if you are arriving on an international flight and connecting to a domestic flight, you must clear passport control when you get off the international flight.

The Reciprocity fees for the two countries are completely separate. If you clear passport control in Buenos Aires EZE, you pay. If then you fly on to Chile, you pay again, if you leave the secure area.

Passport holders of European Union countries and most of the rest of the world do not pay. Check your country's external affairs travel website if you're not from Canada, the US or Australia to make certain it doesn't apply to you.

Happy travels, and let me know if I can help further!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Edited: 18 June 2010, 16:24
dl
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paying the Arg Reciprocity Fee if u are connecting at EZE

Thank you for the great info! What I need to know is if I fly into EZE on United and transfer to Air Canada for the flight to Sanitago, would I go thru passport control? The flight would all be ticketed thru UA.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,682 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paying the Arg Reciprocity Fee if u are connecting at EZE

It doesn't matter which airline you take, Washington. The question is, which passport are you carrying?

If you hold a US passport or (as I do) a Canadian passport, you'll be directed to the Reciprocity Fee booth at passport control. Those with, say, French passports, don't pay the arrival tax, even if they arrive on a US or Canadian airline.

Once you get off your flight, all the passengers are mixed together in the Arrival area anyway, and the border patrol don't know which airline you arrived on. (That's why they have us fill out those little tourist cards on board the flight.) It's all based on your passport.

And provided you don't need to leave the secure area to connect to the Air Canada flight (and in Buenos Aires you'd have no need to do that) you won't go through passport control.

David

Edited: 18 June 2010, 17:30
Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paying the Arg Reciprocity Fee if u are connecting at EZE

I do not think it is an issue with the airlines mention but some flights depart from AEP (Aeroparque) rather than EZE. Passengers departing from AEP are required to enter the country and pay the fee before moving from one airport to another. So check the airport for your air Canada flight just to be certain you will arrive and depart from EZE.

YYC
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Paying the Arg Reciprocity Fee if u are connecting at EZE

Air Canada uses EZE in BA.

Santiago
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Paying the Arg Reciprocity Fee if u are connecting at EZE

Hi, I am an American currently living in Santiago and am flying into AEP from SCL for a weekend, specifically hoping that I could avoid the reciprocity fee. The general consensus on the internet/US embassy websites seems to be that the reciprocity fee is only collected at EZE, but I was wondering if anyone knows for sure? Thanks!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,873 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paying the Arg Reciprocity Fee if u are connecting at EZE

You pay the fee ONLY at EZE.

dl
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paying the Arg Reciprocity Fee if u are connecting at EZE

Thanks to all. I will certainly double check with UA b4 we book or maybe with AirCanada to ensure the flight does go into EZE, If that is correct as Carriacou state, sounds like we should be safe. I haven't figured out what we'll do int he airport for 4 hours esp without going thru passport control! And yes we plan to return to ARG from Chile via AEP.