We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tango Lessons for Oldies!

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
237 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Tango Lessons for Oldies!

Hi There,

we are a couple, late sixties but pretty active, coming to Buenos Aires for the very fisrt time next February.

I've been devouring all the information on this forum and now have a question.

My husband and I would like to organise a couple of Tango Lessons. Nothing very intensive, just the possibility of learning a few basic steps.

Could I get any recommendations?

Many thanks.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,840 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tango Lessons for Oldies!

I have several friends who dance with and know Cherie and Ruben .. look at this and see if it might be what you are interested in.

…blogspot.com/p/ruben-y-cheries-tango-servic…

Also- there is a poster here called Tango Taxi..

www.tripadvisor.com/members-forums/TangoTaxi

You could send her a PM here on TA and ask her ..

Or maybe she will see your question and post :)

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
512 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tango Lessons for Oldies!

Since when is sixties oldies..

I strongly recommend

Cherie and Rueben

http://tangocherie.blogspot.com/

Edited: 30 July 2010, 01:07
Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tango Lessons for Oldies!

I recomend spending one afternoon in Cafe La Ideal, It is an experience like no other, it is like a trip to the past, they teach you for a few hours traditional tango, and you will show those steps in the evening, like a pro! I went with my parents, and had a great time!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,840 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tango Lessons for Oldies!

LUSKJU .. just a caution.. odds are that you will not be ready to be dancing in a milonga after a lesson or two.

It will be fun to take the lessons and as Multitasker mentions, you can take a class at Confiteria Ideal and maybe dance later.. but try not to expect to be "milonga ready" after a lesson or two.

Cherie and Ruben are great and I think you will enjoy meeting them in addition to taking a class.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
542 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tango Lessons for Oldies!

There is a gal here in Boulder,CO who goes to BA every yr. for a month just to Tango and Vera, too, has given me Cherie and Reuben for tango lessons. Just haven't done it.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,840 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tango Lessons for Oldies!

Look at Cherie's blog that I linked up at the top :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
237 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tango Lessons for Oldies!

Thanks so much for all the advice.

No worries, we are not expecting to be competent after a lesson or two. Really more to understand what is happening when watching.

I went to the link you suggested , Scarlett, and plan on contacting Cherie and Rueben a little closer to February. Perhaps they will have suggestions as to what will be the most suitable way to do this.

Thanks again.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
25 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tango Lessons for Oldies!

Thanks to all the folks who recommended us!

I just want to say that Ruben and I are very experienced teaching beginning couples, and generally, yes even after 2 or 3 lessons, they feel comfortable enough to dance with us at a milonga. We explain the mysterious "codigos" of milonga behavior, and so when the students go with us they understand what's going on.

We don't teach "steps" that have to be memorized or counted; we teach how to dance to the music, improvisation, connection to their partner in close embrace, elegance, and sensuality--the basics of social tango as it is danced here.

And we also do private Tango Tours.

So hope to see any "oldies" or youngsters of any age next time they are in Buenos Aires.

P.S. Just as to our dancing qualifications, we were Finalistas in the Tango Championships of 2006.

Philadelphia, USA
Level Contributor
382 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tango Lessons for Oldies!

Ditto on Cherie and Ruben, from these 60ish tangueros. We had a single lesson at home before we left and then one with them in BsAs. We are still practicing their basic walking instructions as we take lessons here. You will feel comfortable with a beginning lesson; they are charming and so experienced. Cherie can even take you shoe shopping and to their milonga.

With that little experience, we danced a few at La Ideal in the afternoon. It was great watching the older couples who looked like they came there every afternoon. There was enough space early on to maneuver, and then watch as the floor became more crowded.

Wish I was there now!

Edited: 31 July 2010, 05:57
sedona az
Level Contributor
9 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tango Lessons for Oldies!

you should definatly hook up with ruben and cherie. they give tango lesson, great, take you on tango tours and really know how to show you a good time. you can contact them through cheries blog. tangocherie. it will make your trip alot more fun.