We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this airfare fair?

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
144 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Is this airfare fair?

I am looking to fly nonstop from NYC to Buenos Aires (EZE) in late February. There is only carrier that services this route nonstop and they want $1470 for a roundtrip ticket! Is this outrageous? Do you think I should wait to book or just take what it is now? I have flown all over the world nonstop (including China) for WAY less than this amount. Add the $140 reciprocity fee to this price and this is almost a financial deal breaker. Anyways, if I am serious about going, book now or later?

Thanks!

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this airfare fair?

Have a look at www.expedia.com or www.kayak.com for more cost effecgtive airfares. If price is a consideration, then consider making one plane change to save money.

Expedia is showing non stop airfare at least $100 cheaper than what you listed for February.

USA
Level Contributor
144 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this airfare fair?

The dates I need the flights kayak and expedia are showing $1417. Still way too much. It is cheaper with COPA Airlines, but reviews on skytrax are negative about them and connections. Many people have said they cancel flights to Buenos Aires often for 'mechanical issues.' With only a week to spend in BA, I want a nonstop flight and don't want to chance a cancellation or delay on a transfer flight. I still think $1417 is a ridiculous amount of money to pay. I guess I want to know is from forumers with experience, will this price decrease? Book in September for February or wait?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this airfare fair?

I'm not sure why you think there is only one airline that flies non-stop to Buenos Aires from NYC -- there are at least two

LAN

American Airlines

I'd rather walk to Buenos Aires than ever take Copa Airlines again. They are HORRID.

Edited: 05 September 2010, 21:08
USA
Level Contributor
144 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this airfare fair?

LAN is America Airlines. They work together in a One World Alliance, so if you book through LAN, you are flying American Airlines through the codeshare. If you book through American, you are flying American. So what appears to be 2 direct routes from NYC to EZE is in fact one direct route through a codeshare. I think because of this nonstop route monopoly, the fares are high. I looked into every possibility extensively and just want to know if $1417 for a nonstop is absurdly high for Feb 18 through Feb. 26 or is the fare realistic?

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
552 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this airfare fair?

Frankly........I'd wait and keep checking. i was with a friend yesterday who is planning on coming to Argentina in February for 2 months.......and right now the fare from Denver is in the $1200 range.

other considerations: what is going out of Newark (EWR) non-stop???????

What about 1 stop.......like Delta...with a stop in Atlanta????? I'd prefer that than one stop in Florida.

Good luck! Ronnie G.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this airfare fair?

I suggest you go to the Lan website...www.LAN.com and input your dates.. I just did for some random mid february dates and the fare was 1,267.20 (including taxes and fees) if you were willing to stop in Santiago de Chile -- which is a very easy airport to navigate. I think you'll find that you'll be flying LAN planes, not AA planes.

Otherwise, get yourself to Miami on a cheap ticket and do a RT direct flight from Miami

Edited: 05 September 2010, 22:07
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,437 posts
757 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this airfare fair?

Yeah, like the others I'd probably just wait and see if the price comes down lower. I don't think it will go higher than that. Just keep checking and seeing occasionally on the airlines websites to see if the prices come down but I'd imagine they will being so far out.

Typically the most expensive times is around the holidays. I booked for the holidays and I think that's what we paid for each ticket round-trip on America.

As far as Copa Airlines definitely I'd say American or LAN is better. I flew Copa from Buenos Aires to the Dominican Republic a few years ago. Flight wasn't nearly as comfortable as American.

USA
Level Contributor
144 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this airfare fair?

Thanks for the advice, I will wait a little more and then check the prices again. I am seeing and hearing that Argentina is not the travel bargain it once was! Flight and hotel will cost me more than what I've paid this year for trips to Europe and Hong Kong!

Will costs of things (food, entrance to museums, transportation and shopping) be cheaper than in NYC? Will I save on overall expenses even though I am paying out more for base costs?

I really want to experience Buenos Aires, I just have to figure out how to budget it time and money wise...

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this airfare fair?

I'm not so sure about waiting. I'm no expert on airfares but this forum has been mentioning all year that fares have been increasing unlike the trend of previous years.

I've used United's nightly flight between Washington and BA since '07. I've previously always had my choice of seats and dates when booking just 3-8 weeks ahead of our desired departure date. I've always found a really good price with them too.

This year, I tried to book the same return flight 3 months before our trip this time but could not as all return flights from BA to Washington had been sold. In fact, to get flights a week later than we wanted cost us each $400. more than last year. And we got the last 2 tickets for even that flight. Had we not bought these, we would have had to stall our trip for yet another week, again due to all BA-Washington flights on United being full. We would have had to abandon our trip since we don't want to be in BA over Christmas.

(My choices of going to BA are limited. Most cheap fares involve 3 'planes from my Canadian city. Our national airline is pricier, takes longer, and leaves you sitting on the plane in Santiago, Chile for I think 3 hours.) Thus, United is still the quickest and cheapest flight involving just one change of 'plane.

Denver, Colorado
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this airfare fair?

From my experience, the fare will only go up, so it's best to just book what you can find. I've been to Buenos Aires 5 times in the past 8 years and from what I can tell, the time to buy is usually 6 months before your plane leaves. Once you start getting closer to your departure date than that, the airlines jack up the prices. My family is flying in December to Buenos Aires from Denver with 1 connection, for a wedding and our fares ranged from 1600 per ticket to 1800 per ticket, so I'd say you're getting a deal!

For a nonstop flight, it's just going to be expensive to get there, as everyone wants to fly nonstop to Buenos Aires. Try a quick connection in Miami or Atlanta - it may add an hour or two to your trip, but it may be worth the savings in the end. The other option is to talk to a travel agent to see if they can find something better for you.

Another thought is to go onto kayak.com and create a tracker of your flight dates. They'll send you an email every week that has a graph which tracks the prices from week to week. It shows you whether the fare is going up or down, and when the time to buy is. Just be careful waiting too long - planes book and prices increase.