We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Argentina trip March 2011

Essex
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Argentina trip March 2011

We are spending 3 weeks in Argentina - this is our first visit but need help with the itinerary. We have decided to stay in an apartment in BA for 6 nights, then take a coach to Iguazu and stay for 2 nights. We then hope to take a flight to Salta. This is where I need advice. We want to see the local area, we will not have a car so will have to travel by bus. We want to see Cafayete, Tilcara and other local places. We then want to travel to Mendoza and then back to BA for 1 night.

Any suggestions for the itinerary would be appreciated. We enjoy cycling, walking and local architecture.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Argentina trip March 2011

in Salta I recommend you using a local guide like a poster here on TA, look for Giena. Guides are always good to make more of your time and so that you can enjoy more genuinely the place.

Then, do you really want to go by bus all those hours to Iguazú and then stay only two nights, and then repeat and go to Salta? this is a long time in buses. Maybe fly to some places. I recommend you.

In the NW don't miss Purmamarca, there is a really nice hotel there called el Manantial del Silencio. Also Colomé and if you have time go to the salt flats that are like a dream. have fun!!

Also cachi, in the NW.

Edited: 01 November 2010, 20:02
WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,279 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Argentina trip March 2011

Clementina - It could be a good idea to post your question on the Salta Forum, as well.

There are at least 3, well-reputed Guides who post there, as well as other travelers who may have tried to plan a trip to the NOA without a car. It was my impression that without a car, a Guide (group or individual) would be best for getting to see that incredible area.

Keep us posted on your plans.

~MarnieWDC

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Argentina trip March 2011

Marnie took the words right out of my mouth! Go to the salta forum.

CHEERS, Ronnie

NYC, NY
Level Contributor
882 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Argentina trip March 2011

I also would contact Giena. A wealth of information, and couldn't be nicer. Some thing really are easier using a local travel agent, guide. Good luck.

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,524 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Argentina trip March 2011

Unfortunatelly, my PM feature is disabled and I can not contact privatelly to thank the previous posters who appreciate the value of a local guide. None would be better than a local guide anywhere.

An austrlian for Australia and an Englishman for London. Regarding your itinerary, two nights are really tight time to do a lot but if you have to choose. I would choose Purmamarca - Salinas Grandes and Humahuaca gorge with an overnight in PUrmamarca.

I think this two-day itinerary talks for the rest., Salta also deserves part of your time and I feel you will have still a lot to see.

It would be better if you could let me know your arrival time and departure time to build something to squeeze your time better, I am here to provide information and will be pleased to provide you with the best info. On despite of the decission you take I will let you know all the possibilities.

Everybody knows I am an independent guide but I also give advice to everybody who is interested in the NW. I invest hour on forums with the only goal to make the NW known ( I succeded, I think). TO your service and to the service of all people interested, I will be pleased to inform you.

Warm regards,

Angie / Giena

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,279 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Argentina trip March 2011

Local Guides in Argentina tend to be very good.

Ex-Pat Guides, who live and love their new country, and have a deep understanding of the language and cultures from which the visitor hails - ALSO very good ! We visited the NorthWest with a guide for part of the visit and without - with a rental car - for the other part. Both had advantages.

Selection of Guide, wherever you go, should be carefully made, as you will be spending many hours together in small spaces. Be sure that a guide knows YOUR preferences and interests, and will follow them.

I wish you as interesting a trip to the NOA as we had last year.

~Marnie

Buenos Aires...
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Argentina trip March 2011

Great choice! You both are going to love Salta area! According to time available for your trip, I suggest you go to Jujuy, a genuine city close to Salta that offers cultural, religious and extreme tourism. The weather is humid during the summer, but still better than Salta. The city lies on National Route 9 that connects La Quiaca 289 km (180 mi) with Salta120 km (75 mi). The most important and beutiful tourist destinations not far from the city are Tilcara 84 km (52 mi), Humahuaca 126 km (78 mi), and the Calilegua National Park 111 km (69 mi). So if you spend a night or two, you can probably known most of these sites.

Hopes that helps!

8. Re: Argentina trip March 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2011, 05:17