We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency exchange at Buenos Aires EZE airport

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
The Villages, FL
2 posts
Save Topic
Currency exchange at Buenos Aires EZE airport

Only use Banco de Nation for currency exchange when at Buenos Aires (EZE) airport. There are two booths at the luggage claim area but their rates are 25% worse than Banco de Nation. Seems criminal, really. Banco de Nation has a location past luggage pickup but before exiting the secure passenger area, but those windows were closed both time we went through. At many airports it is not possible to get good currency exchange once leaving the passenger area, so the temptation may be to use one of the inside booths. Don't! We exited the secure area, and then walked around and into the main part of the bank. You will need a passport; they state they also want to see a boarding pass, but they never asked me for one. Once outside the secure area, you go past several other currency exchange booths, all with poor rates. There is usually a line at the Banco de Nation, but it is worth it. Of course, when exchanging Argentine pesos back to another currency, also go here as the reverse rates are also about 25% worse.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency exchange at Buenos Aires EZE airport

Thank you Gary for reiterating what is constantly posted here.

Only use Banco Nacion ..

I am sorry that you had the problem with the luggage storage. I imagine with AEP and EZE and all the construction, luggage storage was discarded ( if there ever was storage at EZE? I thought it was only at AEP but I store luggage so I am clueless about this.)

What car service did you use ?

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency exchange at Buenos Aires EZE airport

typo, I meant I never store luggage :)

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,168 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency exchange at Buenos Aires EZE airport

We also used the Banco de la Nacion at EZE for currency exchange upon arrival, due to helpful posts like this on the forum. Fortunately for us, the bank exchange window was available in the secure area (just to the side of customs, after you go through, in the same room).

The clerk made sure I watched the money count machine as it dealt out my pesos. He also warned about always remembering the last digits of the number on the larger bills (100s) before tendering them, so that someone wouldn't claim you gave them a counterfeit bill & pull a switcheroo on you.

And, of course, excellent exchange rates!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency exchange at Buenos Aires EZE airport

I'll add that Banco de la Nacion was happy to accept my Canadian $50 bills - straight from the ATM back home - at a very competitive rate.

(I had to do a little research to be sure they would indeed accept C$, and they do, so I'll repeat that fact here for any other Canadians planning a trip.)

The converted C$ and my credit card covered my entire 3 weeks in Argentina, and I never needed to visit an Argentinian ATM once. Problem solved.

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,557 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency exchange at Buenos Aires EZE airport

Gary, Thank you for reporting your experience. I have repeated the Banco de la Nacion mantra so often that I was accused by one first time visitor of being a shill for the bank. I wish. I have no business association with Banco de la Nacion but, hey, since I am retiring this year maybe I could request a commission of some sort from every traveler who mentions to the teller that they were referred by Dr Dawggy. Payable in dolares Americanos, por favor. Smile.

Seriously, cash is king and Banco de la Nacion is king of cash. And I do not receive one rojo centavo for singing their praises.

Edited: 05 December 2010, 12:13
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
440 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency exchange at Buenos Aires EZE airport

I've had only good experiences at the Banco de la Nacion at Ezeiza. The line is never very long, it's open 24 hours, the exchange rates are on par with the official daily rate, and they are hardcore about security ( no forming lines or using cell phones in the office.) My only "hmpf" moment was when they wouldn't accept a partially-torn US $20 bill, but since it's not their legal tender, they didn't have to (and I frankly didn't expect that they would.) Banco Piano is also OK in a bind - their exchange rate is less favorable than Nacion's, but still far better than Global Exchange... there is no excuse for using Global Exchange ;)

california
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency exchange at Buenos Aires EZE airport

does anyone know if this banco de la nacion open during holiday?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency exchange at Buenos Aires EZE airport

Does this also apply to the ATMs? I.e. ATM of other Banks than Banco Nation offer bad exchange rate? I don't mean only at the Airport, but nation wide

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Currency exchange at Buenos Aires EZE airport

The ATM's are connected to two major systems: Banelco and Link. The bank companies choose either system for their ATM's. They give the same exchange rates which are quite good.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
57 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Currency exchange at Buenos Aires EZE airport

Scarlett,

Interesting to hear about the option to store luggage at AEP airport. Do you happen to have more info on that topic, such as how much they charge, how long you can store luggage there and whether it is reliable? By reliable I mean have there been any reports on lost or stolen luggage that was left there for storage?

Thanks!