We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suede Jackets

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Suede Jackets

I have a terrific suede jacket that is far past its prime, and I need a replacement. I'm hitting BA next month and am looking for suggestions?

Branford...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suede Jackets

There are several stores along Florida street. Large selection but the prices are higher as the stores are geared towards tourists. The guys outside hawking the stores can be pretty obnoxious and once you are inside the hard sell starts. The only plus is it is convenient and some English is spoken.

The real leather district is on and around Murillo Street. Lots of stores in that area that cater to Argentines...some are wholesaler to the public and many maufacture the product there as well. The prices are generally more reasonable there too. Of course in some cases the prices are not marked and the price quoted to you will be different from that quoted to a true Argentine. Whatever is quoted act reluctant and tell them it is too high. They may well come back with a lower price. Also say you are paying with tarjeta (credit card) and ask if they give you a discount for cash (efectivo). Good luck.

sf
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suede Jackets

when we were there in august we arranged a visit to fabricas gonzalez (any decent hotel will have connections) and I got a suede jacket for a ridiculous price which I love / this is much better than la florida or the other leather good places (murillo)

Orange County...
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suede Jackets

waters24, thanks, I was trying to remember your post that mentioned the factory fabricas gonzalez. Didn't you mention it was about a 30 minute taxi ride and the area was a little rough? Is the factory a jacket factory or does it make all kinds of items? How do you make payment? Any comments will be helpful, as I think we will want to visit that factory.

sf
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Suede Jackets

coastin - I tried one reply so if this is a double sorry - hotels will have contacts and the factory will send a car for you and take you back (clearly the concierge gets a kickback) - I have a card at work and will get it to you tomorrow - but sales are cash only (USD or pesos) but a very good exchange rate (gave us 3 to 1USD in August when 2.9 was the best anywhere else)- shop has for men and women jackets, shoes, boots, purses, wallets, anything leather - if it needs alteration done that day onsite no charge. we tried la florida and murillo but found gonzalez much better in price and selection. The prices are fixed - no haggling - but you won't care. hope this helps

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Suede Jackets

I took this from my trip report (just got back from BA last week). Info may help:

Leather stores:

2 great leather stores right nearby El Establo restaurant: one is called "IKS" or something, on Paraguay on left side heading up to Florida St & other is on right side of Paraguay heading to Florida and is called "Bettina's" or something. Both offer custom-tailored coats. My wife got a great leather jacket from IKS which the store tailored for her (for $13 US!)which we picked up in 2 hours.

There is also a great store in the Galeria Pacifico called "Navarro" where I bought a great, high-qaulity suede blazer, & a pair of shoes. My wife also got a leather jacket there-she tried it on in the afternoon, they had the store tailor come in and measure and they actually DELIVERED the completed jacket later that night to us while we ate ate El Establo! (Again I am NOT making this up).

tampa
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Suede Jackets

Go to Kerguelen, it is a factory/store. About a 20 min. cab ride from Recoleta. If you have a few days they will make the jacket for you. I had 3 made for myself {perfect fit} in suede, leather, and lambskin. The baby goat was not available for a blazer type jacket{too delicate} but I did get it in a full length coat. Before you go for suede, make sure they show you the lambskin.

Find a cab driver to take you to 745 Santander. The quality and price here IMO is far better than the shops on Florida ave., which is more like a trip to the mall.

I will warn you that when the cab pulls up it will not look like a store. Just go up to the window and there is usually a guard there to unlock the door and let you in. They do beautiful work.

There were a couple people that did speak english but I just can't remember their names. They will have their driver take you back to your hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Recoleta
Recoleta
18,732 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suede Jackets

Hi Waters, We'll be staying in an apartment, so we won't have a concierge. Do you mind sharing that name and address with me too? By the way what exactly is a ridiculous price?? Thanks!

sf
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Suede Jackets

connie AF sorry to take long to reply - I couldn't find the address but if you stop by the Sofitel (on Arroyo) and ask for Tristan the concierge he will set you up I guarantee you (if you like I can email him in advance)but as for prices, my jacket was 110US and our family bought in total 5 leather jackets plus the suede, 2 pairs boots, 2 purses, and wallter for about 800-900US / not bad

Buenos AIres
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suede Jackets

"Kickbacks" at hotels go from the usual 10 % and high up to 30 % or more... shop by yourselves

Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suede Jackets

Thank you both Waters24 and Santiagov! I appreciate your help and can't wait to sport my new duds!