We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thief...........Ladron

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
724 reviews
Save Topic
Thief...........Ladron

DH and I were having a wonderful day. Even commenting on loving the living in BA and meeting new,fabulous friends!

Visited a Boulder friend in San Telmo , who is cutting her 2 month Argentina travel short because she tripped in Recoleta cemetery and broke an ankle! How sad!

Then walked up to defensa and mexico and had THE most superb lunch at Brasserie Petanque. Thank you StarLucia. The Salmon in honey sauce was perfect and DH had Costillas Cordero...5 magnificent baby lamb chops & a sublime side dish to match.

Walked further to Casa Cultura and picked up tickets to Placido Domingo on the 23rd. The performance starts at 9:30 PM. You know what that means......after 10 PM!

THEN we let our guard down! Even well seasoned travelers do that!! Walked past casa Rosada on Rivadavia to LN Alem. Have been on that corner tens of times.SUDDENLY our digital camera got swiped. A male on a bike just ripped it out of DH's hand. He ran yelling "thief,thief". I ran yelling "Ladron,ladron".Thank you, Scarlet.. But this guy was moving!!!

OUR MISTAKE: Allan had the camera out and hanging at his side. It's usually in my day pack or held completely in his hand. We were also at the curb.This thief came around the corner on his bike and did NOT miss a beat! We really do not know if he targeted us up the hill close to the Plaza de Mayo.

The sad part: no camera for our week in Salta: a new destination.

We did continue on to Puerto Madero and some people watching and tried to walk off lunch.

Another distressing fact, folks. Today was the 3rd time in as many days that someone gave me a seat on the colectivo/subte. has not happened in years past. My conclusion: Gosh darn it.....I look OLD this year.

We'll need to ask you dear folks for your Salta photos, I am sure.

May look around for a CHEAP digital. Anyone have any ideas on where to get the best price???

The good news is we didn't get hurt. Allan thought the thief may have slashed the camera out of his hand.........and we could have been slashed too.

For all.................this is meant to be a LEARNING EXPERIENCE!

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thief...........Ladron

Grrrr

I know you're experienced tourists and I also know that they're experienced thieves,, so a minute of distraction is enough !

I've posted today the article from Clarin - Florida street - " Paradise for pickpocketers " and so the things are here.

I still think you'll enjoy this trip as you did the previous times, and maybe from now you'll be more porteño than before ( just to say something positive )

Amigos, as we say here, thanks God you're ok.

Best wishes and continue enjoying

Silvia

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,115 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thief...........Ladron

Oh *^&%$ thieves :(

I am so sorry that this happened to you two !

All up and down Santa Fe are Garbarino and stores that sell appliances, televisions and cameras etc.

There are also camera shops but I cannot remember any names or addresses.

This is so sad, I am so sorry. And I agree with Silvia, it is not you, it is the thief .. too bad they don't try to be good at something legal and not harmful.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,510 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thief...........Ladron

Oh no, my dear friends...I am so sorry to hear about this. There is no perfect defense against outright, deliberate, thieving, rotten, lousy ladones !

Thank goodness you are both fine. Lesson learned by us all, no perfect solutions to such a determined effort at stealing from an innocent traveller, but to stay alert, and to stay positive, and enjoy the rest of the day. I admire you both.

Besitos,

~Marnie

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
991 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thief...........Ladron

Oooh Sorry to hear of this....

Scarlett is spot on - The Garbarino stores (one just across the road from Alto Palermo on Santa Fe) have a good range to choose from and a relatively cheap!!!

Suerte for the rest of your trip - next time I am there, I will look out for this Ladrone and trip him over for you!!

Ant

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
724 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thief...........Ladron

Thank you, friends for your concern and sympathies.

As a former poster here, who now posts on Fodor's pointed out: weekends are the worst in that area. No police presence and hardly any people. I TOTALLY AGREE!...Yet it's a double edge sword: I actually like the area when it is quiet and devoid of people!

We have porteno friends in Boulder, who are arriving here next Tuesday. They have offered to go to COSTCO and purchase us the camera that Allan really wants. Hope it works out!

Have no fear: you can't get rid of us......we adore it here....and savor every moment of this visit.......and those in the future!

Douglas
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Thief...........Ladron

Oh, that is upsetting. There's just no getting around it. A shiny new replacemen camerat for Allan might help though! Did you lose many pictures with the camera, or do you "upload" daily?

BTW, if I see you on the bus I will be sure not to give you my seat.

Don't want you to feel old!

Suerte!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,484 posts
765 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thief...........Ladron

Sorry to hear about that. You're right..even the most experienced travelers can have problems. Petty crime is definitely on the increase here so you just have to be careful.

Last year while I was walking in Recoleta, I was reading the news on my Iphone when a bicycle thief attempted to steal it. Luckily it fell to the ground so he didn't get it.

But these thieves are very good so you have to be careful with electronics on the street.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thief...........Ladron

morewierd,

I'm glad to hear that you'll have a replacement camera next Tuesday.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
724 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thief...........Ladron

Thanks, Sockhopper. it is confirmed: the camera is coming on Tuesday!

Interestingly enough, there was a Letter to the Editor yesterday in La Nacion talking about "Robos en la Avda. Alem" .......even at lunch hour.....AND preferring woman targets. it's in Spanish. I am saving it for my friends to read.

Cheers, R

10. Re: Thief...........Ladron

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 16:17