We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good food in Buenos Aires

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Topic
Good food in Buenos Aires

Spent a few days in BsAs in late May, visiting friends and eating at local restaurants. Only really splurged once (Oviedo!), so here are the places I can recommend if you find yourself out and about.

La Chaira, Neuqen 1901 in barrio Flores. Small and unassuming parrilla restaurant that we happened to pass and a friend said it was a neighborhood favorite of hers and her friends, so we made plans for dinner. Very, very respectable with well cooked/plated dishes. Pretty standard menu for local BsAs parrillas, but they have some interesting specials and is a good value when all is said and done. If I lived in Flores, this would be a typical mid-week lunch/dinner spot I would favor and share some wine and good conversation with friends.

U Comoda Vostro, Jorge Newbery 3540 in barrio Chacarita. Good inexpensive Italian. ‘Nuf said. There are really only two ways to cook Italian – either make everything fresh and charge accordingly (Sotto Voce, Bella Italia, etc.) or use canned sauces and packaged pasta (with fresh vegetables and homemade sausages, etc.). As to the latter, in the right hands you can get a decent meal on a budget and walk away congratulating yourself on being somewhat frugal. And stuffed to the gills!

La Cumbre, San Martin Av. 2591 in barrio Villa del Parque. Small neighborhood joint. Cheap (and I mean that in a good way!). Salads and pizza. The food reminded me of Filo, but without the ambiance or talented waitstaff. But if you are in a hurry and want a quick chow down, this is the type of local joint you can find all over the city - and better than most.

Parrilla Marucha, 11 de Septiembre 3702 in barrio Nunez. Small local parrilla. More than acceptable. I always seem to get good meals out in Nunez and it is becoming one of my most favorite barrios. This place was highly recommended by an old friend who knows how to eat well and turned me on to El Probre Luis (also in Nunez) many moons ago. There’s no pretension at this neighborhood joint, just good eats.

Bandol, Rivadavia 1696 in barrio Nunez. Hybrid Mediterranean restaurant with very good food and a great atmosphere. We stumbled onto this place and thought the menu looked interesting, so we popped in to sample a few dishes. This was another good find in Nunez and I wouldn’t hesitate to make a return visit. This is a great area of the city and we’ve been fortunate since our very first visit to have local friends show us around the hood.

Oveido, Beruti 2602 in Recoleta. I’ve read nothing but fantastic reviews about this most excellent restaurant and it has been on my short list for a few years now. After FINALLY booking a reservation and dining here, it immediately goes onto my top 5 favorites list in BsAs. Off the chart good eats – from the tenderly braised meat and pan sautéed fish entrees to the magical sides, terrines, salads, desserts and wines; absolutely heaven on earth. Phenomenal presentation skills and impeccable service. Outstanding wine selection. Expensive, but highly recommended for that special occasion.

More food. Less attitude. Suerte.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,472 posts
763 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good food in Buenos Aires

All great places Doug!

I really love Oviedo and been there probably over 40 times over the past many years. I agree it's gotten fairly expensive over the years but I've never had a bad meal there. Always great service.

I'll have to try some of the other places you recommended that I haven't hit on my next visit to Buenos Aires. Thanks for sharing!

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good food in Buenos Aires

ElfDoug,

Thanks for reminding me that Nunez is on my radar. And providing restaurant recommendations there.

Re. 'Oviedo', did you notice if was serving its seafood paella for two yet in May? I swear that their paella is absolutely identical to and as good as paella served in Sevilla, Spain, the home of paella.

This dish at Oviedo would be a top reason for my going to BA again in winter. In summer, it's not on the menu I learned to my disappointment 2 summers ago. Oh well, everything has a season just as fresh vegetables in BA are sold seasonally.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,290 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good food in Buenos Aires

Hola ElfDoug,

I am in France right now and I was just last night telling my friends here about Oviedo (tempting them to return to BsAs). You described it so well.

And thank you for the run down on the other "joints"

MarnieWDC

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,580 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good food in Buenos Aires

I appreciate your review of restaurants in "forgotten" barrios....a reminder there is life outside of Palermo and Recoleta. Flores is almost never reviewed...Chacarita's restaurants remain off the radar. A few adventurous souls make it to Chacarita's famous cemetery but most scamper back to the safe confines of Soho to eat. And Villa Parque and Nunez are not often visited by tourists..

I agree with others about your review of Oviedo---a nice reminder of the consistent quality of food served up for decades by one of the bastions of restaurant life in BA.

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Good food in Buenos Aires

Dr. D, I agree that there aren't that many reviews outside of the main tourist areas, although Dan (Saltshaker) has done some over the years. I've always explored further and further away from Recoleta and have always felt safe. And Nunez should be getting much more tourist business, I don't know how you could spend a week or two in the city and not see all of Belgrano and Nunez - there are great open spaces along the river and tons of great shops and parillas/bistros with outdoor seating when weather permits.

Oveido - don't recall the paella, but I already knew what I was going to order after hearing about their food from some locals. Honestly, I wasn't really prepared for the experience, because I guess I had made some preconceptions about what to expect (old school, jaded waitstaff). I knew the food would be great, but I was most amazed by the presentation, the service and attention to detail. Definitely eating there again on next visit!

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,580 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good food in Buenos Aires

Last time I was at Oviedo the manager/owner? had just opened a new bottle of wine and went from table to table pouring a bit for patrons...encouraging them to swirl it in their glasses, look at the color, smell, and taste.....Like a mini-wine tasting....as a marketing technique it worked perfectly. We ordered a bottle.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
694 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good food in Buenos Aires

Thank you SO MUCH for this great review!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They shall all be on "my list" for our next trip!!!!!

Right now: I'm salivating.

Cheers, Ronnie

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good food in Buenos Aires

Thank you ElfDoug for your reviews of non-touristic areas of BA.

Boedo, Almagro, Caballito, Villa Crespo, Flores, etc have their own treasures, IMO, more authentic than other neighbourhoods.

Cheers

Silvia

9. Re: Good food in Buenos Aires

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 10:17