We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enjoy Gnocchi today !

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,320 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Enjoy Gnocchi today !

The 29th of each month is traditionally the day (or evening) to enjoy eating Gnocchi. So many of the wonderful Italian restaurants in BsAs have Gnocchi dishes on this (and other) day...we have always enjoyed making a ritual of it.

Fernet & Coke with a Picada (think ante pasta)

Gnocchi (or shared Gnocchi ='Para Compartir' followed by shared Carne/Pollo/etc.)

Ensalada

Red Wine & bottled water

Then we walk it off & stop for Helado in one of our favorite spots. Do you think we are missing having Gnocchi in BsAs today ?

Buen Provecho !

~Marnie

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,590 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Enjoy Gnocchi today !

The tradition of eating gnocchi on the 29th of each month was started by working class Argentinos who were running short of cash near the end of the month. Gnocchis could be made from simple and inexpensive ingredients. Carne would have to wait until after receiving the next paycheck.

Or so I have been told.

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,590 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Enjoy Gnocchi today !

Curse you Marnie....I have been craving gnocchi all day. Do you know how hard it is to find gnocchi in Abilene, Texas on the 29th or any other day for that matter. :)

Edited: 29 July 2011, 18:02
Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Enjoy Gnocchi today !

Tonights dinner will be chicken thighs roasted with olive oil, garlic, about a kilo of cherry tomatoes and Gnocchi !!!

I remember our first month here, when we saw everyone eating gnocchi at lunch and dinner, a friend finally cleared up the confusion .. Gnocchi day, how perfect is that ?

Well, more perfect might be Chocolate day .....

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,320 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Enjoy Gnocchi today !

Oh, dr_d. so sorry. I should have invited you and the Mrs. to dinner here before I posted. Youall need a Trader Joe's down in Abilene.

~M

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,590 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Enjoy Gnocchi today !

Sigh, I recall eating a memorable meal of Gnocchi de Calabaza, enselada verde, and Nieto Senetiner vino tinto on a cold 29 de julio back several years ago. ummmm.

Nope, Marnie, We don't have a Trader Joe's out here in Abilene. In fact, with all due apologies to Forrest Gump, "in the land of Abilene we ain't hardly got nothin at all." lol....

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
695 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Enjoy Gnocchi today !

I learn something new all the time!

Can NOT believe I didn't know about the 29th of the month.

Thank you all, R

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Enjoy Gnocchi today !

There's a legend that says that a saint (San Pantaleón, I believe) was traveling in Italy, many centuries ago, and found himself at night begging for food and shelter at a peasant's hut. Not having much to eat themselves, the peasants shared their gnocchis with him. When he left the next day, the holy man blessed the family promising good crops and no further lack of food.

Being a great part of Argentina of Italian origin, it has become a tradition to eat gnocchis every 29th. People put a bill under their plate (you can even see people in restaurants doing this), as it is said to assure you will not lack of money during the next month.

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,590 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Enjoy Gnocchi today !

Gracias Vero...we left out the most important part of the tradition. We were reminded of this in an email by an Argentino friend. When I went back to the thread to correct my error I saw that you had already caught my error.

Have you ever tried the Gnocchis at Bella Italia Cafe/bar in your neighborhood? That is where I had the gnocchis de calabaza that I described in my earlier post.

Edited: 30 July 2011, 00:00
WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,320 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Enjoy Gnocchi today !

Thank you Vero - e vero, indeed. We actually used to follow this tradition, but I forgot all about it. Gracias to you and to AvRooster who reminded me of it earlier.

Perhaps we could place some pesos under the dinner dishes of the US Congressmen ?

~M

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Enjoy Gnocchi today !

I have eaten pasta at la Bella Italia, but I'm sure about the "ñoquis" de calabaza. Those I usually buy at La Juvenil (Salguero between Cabello and Cerviño) and eat them at home, just with cream or butter, ground black pepper and sage ...