We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking a clean appartment for 3,5 weeks in Bs As

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Amsterdam, The...
7 posts
Save Topic
Seeking a clean appartment for 3,5 weeks in Bs As

I'm planning to stay for 3,5 weeks in Buenos Aires. I don't want to spend more than 1000 dollars for the stay.

I've had two experiences in the past renting through Baires Apartments.

The first was alright: It was a safe neighbourhood, a clean appartment and there were functional facilities.

The second was an appartment 5 blocks away from the first spot. There were unpleasant looking people and prostitutes walking around at night, the appartment looked like it hasn't been cleaned properly for a very long time, and an owner who kept promising the cleaning lady would show up and not keeping up her promise.

She seemed very nice, polite and all, but in a typically argentinian " non-functional " manner if you know what I mean...

I have to say that I did check the appartmant on arrival, the first spot being the bathroom, which seemed clean and well taken care of. The covers of the bed were very old and I didn't make the effort to check the sheets which were in a very disappointing state. The bed was not comfortable to say the least. In short, there were a lot of details I couldn't have discovered on the spot on arrival, and I just got "sunk in".

I looked around on these forums and concluded that the most important element is not the agency but the owner, therefore I thought you might be able to suggest a nice clean appartment for one person (or two) - a studio would be just fine - preferably 35 square meters or bigger, with a trust-worthy owner, anywhere between Palermo and Belgrano (or Recoleta if its a good neighbourhood).

Any tip is welcome!

Thanks

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
548 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking a clean appartment for 3,5 weeks in Bs As

Is the $1000 just for rent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amsterdam, The...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking a clean appartment for 3,5 weeks in Bs As

Sorry it wasn't clear. I want to spend no more than 1000$ for The RENT.

(Yes!!!!!!)

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking a clean appartment for 3,5 weeks in Bs As

Peace Seeker,

Did you keep the contact details of the owner for the first nice place you had and check if it's available?

Amsterdam, The...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking a clean appartment for 3,5 weeks in Bs As

Sockhopper, no I did not.

1) It was ok. Not fabulous. Just ok.

2) It costs more than 1000$ a month and I don't think its worth it

3) The real owner was never there. She sent us an acquaintance to make us sign for the appartment, something that - retrospectively - I think was insane to accept: Signing a contract with someone who wasn't the owner, meaning the contract wasn't valid.

In short, I need something new.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking a clean appartment for 3,5 weeks in Bs As

As you know, there are studios and tiny apartments in BA's temporary rental market online for $1000/month and some look very good at least in their photos. The problem with your absolutely not going above this figure by about 30-60% for a 1BR puts you, I think, at a greater risk of securing once again a place that will not suit you in terms of its fitness. Remember, you're renting temorarily a furnished and equipped place with its utilities included in the rental fee. You would find cheaper if you were renting an unfurnished, non-serviced apartment for a term of 1 or 2 years and so paying its 'phone and utilities' bills yourself.

One thing you can do is this. If you see a place online that you have reason to believe is good and rents, say, for $1300/month, ask the agent if the owner might be amenable to reducing the rent and request a rental figure range (a tight one) that you can pay - one that makes sense to you from your researching prices online.

If the agent responds, "No" immediately, I might coax her/him a little to at least pose your request to the owner. Perhaps if you do this a few times, you may hit it lucky somewhere. Bargaining is known in BA. What I'm suggesting has been done. It's been suggested before by a most knowledgeable DE who's a realtor and active on this forum - 'saintba'.

Three years ago, I was intent on finding a place to rent right on Plaza Vicente Lopez and I wanted a front balcony. The only one I found available cost $850/ month. Upon investigating it, it had a peculiar feature. To go from the living room to the bedroom, you had to walk up and down the common stairwell that all the building's residents used 24 hours/day! Ie., you had to exit and re-enter your own apartment through doors a floor apart from one another just to pour yourself a cup of tea and drink it in bed. It was really only one step up from being homeless. As much as I love that plaza, my enthusiasm wasn't sufficient to live with that.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking a clean appartment for 3,5 weeks in Bs As

Another point. That lease you had may have been valid. That 'acquaintance' was authorized to have you sign the lease from what you say -the owner told you so in advance of your signing it.

Provided the owner then also signed the contract later and gave you a copy of it with both parties' signatures on it, I see no problem. What's important is that you are given that copy and the contact details of the person appointed by the owner to maintain the place and ensure that your rental runs smoothly.

Denton
Level Contributor
351 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeking a clean appartment for 3,5 weeks in Bs As

We are in BA right now in a fabulous apartment in the Barrio Norte/Recoleta area . . . on Arenals near Santa Fe and Callao. We are paying $430/wk, the place is absolutely spotless, equipped with everything, it looks exactly like advertised on line, the owner is very responsive. He even had a fruit bowl, water and lemonade, and fresh flowers in the living room and bathroom when we arrived.

We have a doorman and our neighborhood seems to be very good. We rented on VRBO and the link is http://www.vrbo.com/176989

Good luck and hope you have as much fun as we are having.

Sandy (in Denton) but currently in BA having fun

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,876 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeking a clean appartment for 3,5 weeks in Bs As

Sandy, thank you for that link, it looks lovely and it is very helpful!

I hope the cold is not bothering you .. I think I am never going to get warm lol.

Pup is the only one in this family who wants to go out these days.

I hope you continue to have fun in BA ...

Denton
Level Contributor
351 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seeking a clean appartment for 3,5 weeks in Bs As

Thank you Scarlett . . . it is 108 all week long at home, so this feels GREAT!

Sandy (in Denton)

Amsterdam, The...
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Seeking a clean appartment for 3,5 weeks in Bs As

The owner only showed up in the end.

The person who singed with us signed in the name of the owner, and there were no changes made in the contract. The owner just appeard in the end of our stay to get the keys back.

In short: It wasn't valid, but luckily nothing happened.

Your idea of raising the price limit a bit seems reasonable.

I'm actualy thinking of going more to the direction of Palermo.

Is it correct to expect that it should be slightly cheaper than Recoletta? If that's the case, I might be able to find something nicer for the same price... any idea's?