We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on first visit to BA? Must see?

Louisville,KY
Level Contributor
286 posts
292 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions on first visit to BA? Must see?

My wife and I are going to be in BA for 8 days and the falls for 2 days. This is our First trip to BA. Any suggestions? I have reviewed the sites top things to do but still looking for any suggestions. We are not real big on museums but do go to the top ones when in Europe. Any must see museums in BA? Thanks.

PS, going in late September.

Chuck\Nancy

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,502 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions on first visit to BA? Must see?

I would suggest that you take the bus tour offered by the city for an overview of the different neighborhoods. www.bue.gov.ar. Also, on the same website is the list of walking tours which are offered.

Once you have an overview of the city then start exploring the different neighborhoods.

Many of the museums are located in the Recoleta area and are not large so can be easily visited.

A vist to the Casa Rosada is interesting if you are here on the weekends.

The Evita Museum is interesting since it shows a piece of history which is a big part of Argentine culture. Also, the outdoor restaurant at this museum is a must.

The museum of Decorative Arts and Design on Libertador is interesting since you can tour one of the large mansions which were prevalent in the city during the Golden Age. Also, the restaurant in the carriage house is a must visit.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
696 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions on first visit to BA? Must see?

#1......You are arriving at a wonderful time of year!

Here's homework for you: Spend a couple of hours reading trip reports on the BA forum. They are invaluable.

Spend some time at a Barnes & Noble......going thru the various travel books on Argentina/Buenos Aires.

Then come back with specific questions. I am not asking you to do anything that I won't do. I spend ENDLESS hours doing research.....and it comes back to me in spades.

Happy Planning............Ronnie

Mar del Plata...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions on first visit to BA? Must see?

You shoul take a bike tour !!!

At night, go to Palermo neigberhood.

Bye !!!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,245 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions on first visit to BA? Must see?

Yes, do take an overview tour of the city so that you get an idea of where you want to return. I think this is a 'must', because BA has so many interesting districts/neighborhoods.

Even if you do not like museums you should do the Evita one. It is quite moving. And the outdoor restaurant is tops.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,327 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions on first visit to BA? Must see?

I second Puter's suggestion. Evita is the museum that is least like a museum, and worth a visit - regardless of one's politics.

And after a really nice lunch in the museum Cafe, you can meander the parks across that huge (be careful crossing) street, Av. 9 de Julio.

~M

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,005 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions on first visit to BA? Must see?

The Palais de Glace in Recoleta is also a great small museum.

Started life as an ice skating pavilion, the building itself is great and the exhibitions change all the time. You might see paintings or a photography exhbit or fantastic sculptures. It is right on LIbertador and Posadas so easy to get to and not out of the way .

In the Recoleta Cultural Center, you can see any number of great temporary art exhibits .. they range from odd sculptures made of odd materials to fantastic glass sculptures and wonderful photo exhibits .. my favorite so far was one from every day life, here in BA, in the past, 50s and 60s .. And not long ago, they had the photos of Robert Doisneau ( you know, the couple kissing in the street in Paris ) ..

When / If you go to the Evita Museum, do sit down and watch the little movie .. the music in the museum is lovely too .. don't forget to bring a camera !

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,005 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions on first visit to BA? Must see?

We went to the Palais de Glace today, and the Recoleta Cultural Center.

Both have new exhibits and some of it is very interesting, especially the Argentine Photojournalists exhibit at the Palais de Glace.

This is looking down the hall at the Cultural Center

…tumblr.com/tumblr_lqi40c3vn01qgju3co1_500.j…

and this is a photo from inside the Palais de Glace

…tumblr.com/tumblr_lqi3wz9kAa1qgju3co1_500.j…

Edited: 25 August 2011, 22:12
WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,327 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions on first visit to BA? Must see?

Oh Scarlett - you temptress ! I cannot wait. Gracias.

~Marnie

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,005 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions on first visit to BA? Must see?

:)

It is very cold here right now though .. or my blood is very thin.

You can only stand to be outside for a short time before it is necessary to go sit in a nice warm cozy cafe and have a

1- cup of coffee and something sweet

2- a glass of wine

3- a glass of wine and something sweet followed by some coffee ...

Certainly something we can all live with.

cyberville
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions on first visit to BA? Must see?

There are no must see museums in BA, but MALBA is worth a visit. There is not much to see in the Evita Peron museum - pictures and artifacts of hers, but the cafeteria is excellent so that might justify a visit. For that matter, the restaurant in MALBA is also quite good.