We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our first trip to BA Dec 24 - Jan 4, 2012

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
770 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Our first trip to BA Dec 24 - Jan 4, 2012

Hi,

We, a family of four adults, will be travelling to BA December 24 - January 4th. We are staying in Recoleta. I'm just starting to plan the itinerary for our trip and thought I would seek advice from the experts on this forum who kindly helped with our hotel selection.

1. What are the "must -do's" in BA including tours, sightseeing, restaurants etc?

2. Are places shut during the Christmas period?

3. Any special events happening during this period?

4. We would like to volunteer for a day somewhere and will do anything. I contacted Voluntaria Global and they don't offer their one day program anymore.

5. Any suggestions for hotels and trips to Iguazzu Falls.

6. I have two daughters, 19 and 23 who would like to go to some great nightclubs while there. Which are the best for their age group?

Any and all information and recommendations are welcome.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,927 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our first trip to BA Dec 24 - Jan 4, 2012

Recoleta has a few nice things to see and places to go , the feria on weekends, the museums, the Cultural Center, the parks and just wandering and eating.

I would suggest guide books and maybe read some magazines that have articles about BA and see what appeals to you. There are so many things that people Must Do ! :)

1- see the neighborhoods ( take an open bus tour)

2- see the museums

3-shop in the ferias

4-San Telmo on Sunday

5- Palermo Soho on the weekend ( the girls will love it)

the list could go on and on.

Many places are shut for Christmas Eve and Day, plan ahead on that one. Including making sure you have a restaurant for dinners.

Hotel restaurants are always open.

The best Hotel I would suggest for Iguazu would be the Sheraton. It is In the park, with rooms with views. But it comes with a higher price tag.

Check your guide book on that .. You can go for one night or 2 ,,

Just read these forums and the restaurant stickies at the top and you can get all of your answers .. have fun with the planning !

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Our first trip to BA Dec 24 - Jan 4, 2012

Thanks Scarlett for your post. I do have about 6 guide books that I've been reading for ideas. There certainly seems like there is lots to do and we are very excited. I think we will go with the Sheraton at the falls as I have seen many good reviews about that as I've been researching the area.

I'll definitely make reservations for dinner Xmas eve and Xmas day.

Is there anything special happening on New Year's eve such as fireworks anywhere?

Thanks.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,927 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our first trip to BA Dec 24 - Jan 4, 2012

OK, you can stop buying guide books now :)

There are fireworks here and there, last year they did a nice job in the Park in Recoleta .. keep an eye out for any posts from DE Silvia or BASandy- they are both brilliant at keeping up with what is going on around here.

I just listen to them ..

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Our first trip to BA Dec 24 - Jan 4, 2012

Great thanks. I will be checking this forum daily :) Just booked The Sheraton in Iguazu for one night. Definitely a little pricey but worth it for the location.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,279 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our first trip to BA Dec 24 - Jan 4, 2012

Hola Covkid,

Sandy has a WEB-site that is very helpful, as noted above; here is a link to that: http://www.batravelguide.com/

In addition, we have enjoyed perusing Good Morning Buenos Aires: goodmorningba.com/category/operation-condor/

Have fun planning and visiting, too.

~MarnieWDC

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our first trip to BA Dec 24 - Jan 4, 2012

We spent NY Eve , Dec.31,2008 at the Planetarium area in Palermo.

Fireworks,music,dancing.........LOTS of families.......LOTS of fun!

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Our first trip to BA Dec 24 - Jan 4, 2012

Thanks everyone for the tips. I'm sure you will be seeing more posts from me as I carry on making my plans.

buenos aires...
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our first trip to BA Dec 24 - Jan 4, 2012

Where are you staying in Recoleta?

Santa

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Our first trip to BA Dec 24 - Jan 4, 2012

We are staying at the Intersur Recoleta.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,927 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our first trip to BA Dec 24 - Jan 4, 2012

Oh, I like that hotel ( haven't stayed there though) and the location is great !