We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paying for apartment rental

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
norfolk
Level Contributor
55 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Paying for apartment rental

We are due in Buenos Aries in mid december and want to rent an apartment for a couple of months. What is the usual way to pay for deposits/rental? We obviously do not want to carry too much cash or make too many visits to a cash machine! Is Pay Pal a good idea,credit cards or bank transfers?

Oregon
Level Contributor
116 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paying for apartment rental

Apartment rental companies will advise on their web page what type of payment they accept. Normally one places a deposit via paypal or western union. The balance is paid in US dollars upon arrival. The arrival amount includes a 50-100% damage deposit. That cash is placed in an envelope which you and the agent sign across the seal. The deposit will be returned when you check out (provided there are no damages).

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
729 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paying for apartment rental

Try Airbnb or even Trip advisor renting site, you have a very diversified number of options and you pay trough a credit card or pay-pal and know the comments.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
756 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paying for apartment rental

I really think the days of ONLY dealing with cash on rentals in BA are slowly fading away. Many companies have allowed credit cards, bank wires, or paypal for many years. But it's now that some of them are totally eliminating cash as an option for safety reasons for both the rental guest and also the owner and their employees.

Personally, I always prefer using my credit card when I travel when I don't know the owner/manager. Otherwise I've also used bankwire for people that I know or used before.

AirBnB is a good option as well as most owners on VRBO and Homeaway and Flipkey also take other forms of payment besides cash. I've had great experiences with AirBnB where I list all my rental properties.

It's really great as the guests can all use credit cards and it protects the rental guests and also the owners. Plus after the stay, you can review eachother. So if you get a sloppy tenant or a dishonest owner, you will read about it.

4. Re: Paying for apartment rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 22:18