We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewish History tours in BA

Singapore
Level Contributor
187 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Jewish History tours in BA

Hi All,

I will be be in BA for about 5 days in Nov. over a weekend. I like to learn more about the Jewish History of the city.

Are there any tours? May be walking tours? or tours in Hebrew?

I also like to go to Jewish services on Friday evening or Sat.morning. Any recommendation of a Temple, I am a secular Jew.

Is there any Israeli center in the city?

Any tips will help.

Many Thanks,

Beth

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,075 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewish History tours in BA

Definitely talk to the Cicerones about this ..

You are going to have some busy 5 days ! :)

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,415 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewish History tours in BA

Hi beth,

Though it has been a few years since I have been in Bs As I twice used Cicerones and did get some insight into the Jewish aspects of BuenosAires. Tell them what you you are interested in and they will try to find a Cicerone who can respond to your interests. There are several companies that do specific Jewish tours - on which you will probably see more. But in general I highly recommend using Cicerones

There are several threads with info on the subject - not that recent but I think much of the info is still the same

tripadvisor.com/…8178411

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312741-i979-k2461…

raquel

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewish History tours in BA

We are going to BA in March 2012 and are presently making arrangements with Maximo at

Máximo Yedid

Web: www.BAtourguide.com.ar

Mail: BAtourguide@gmail.com

Cell: + 54911-5693-9740 (From ABROAD)

Cell: 15-5693-9740 (From ARGENTINA)

I understand from testamonials on the website that he is Jewish and I have contacted some of the people who wrote the testamonials for confirmation. Check out his site.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
255 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewish History tours in BA

Agree on the recommendations of all of the above.

Make sure they include a Temple Libertad tour, (about 30-40 min)/

Calle Tucuman and Lavalle, both between calle Pasteur and Pueyrredon are filled with Jewish restaurants, Judaica, and wholesale stores (especiallly fabrics). At the Abasto mall, inside, there is an overpriced Kosher Mc Donalds as well. If you have enough time to get out of town, you may try an overnight day trip to Basavilbaso where a lot of the Jewish Gauchos lives, at the turn of the century (including my great grandfather) . In BA, there is also a Holocaust Museum,worth seeing. Enjoy your visit, drink some sweet wine and L' Chaim!

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,415 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jewish History tours in BA

Further to Multitasker's post - You can visit both the Templo Libertad which has a museum attached and the Holocaust Museum on your own. I did both and found them worthwhile.

Also the small memorial square where the bombed Israeli Embassy stood.

The thing about the Templo /Museum is that the days they are open to the public and the hours are quite limited - so you have to find out ahead of time and be there at that time. One of their guides will take you around the museum and show you the synagogue and tell you about it.

Make sure you have your passport with you when you try to visit any Jewish sites. Security is tight. I have heard of some people being denied admission. I didn't have any issues. Also I have heard that if you want to go to synagogue services, you have to arrange it ahead of time and have a letter from your Rabbi at home. (Haven't tried this myself)

Not sure when in November you will be there but the Jewish Film festival is on

http://www.ficja.com.ar/

You might want to psych yourself up for your trip by listening to Radio jai - the Jewish Community Radio station - which is online

http://www.radiojai.com.ar/online/

raquel

Singapore
Level Contributor
187 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jewish History tours in BA

Thank You Raquel, very useful info. Do you know if there is an English Expat. Jewish community in BA? Any English activities ?

Beth

Teaneck, NJ
Level Contributor
32 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jewish History tours in BA

Hi all, planning a day there precruise at end of month, interested in recent feedback to best way to explore jewish side of this city and kosher restaurant recommendations. we are active family of 7. tia!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jewish History tours in BA

Hi NomadicNina

I miss the kosher meat from BA so much, stuck back in Manchester (UK) with one or two restaurants. There are so many kosher restaurants in Buenos Aires.

My favourite restaurants were Tucson (steak - quite expensive); El Galope (mixed grill - fairly cheap); Dashi (sushi - make sure it is the kosher one) and El Pasaje (best mixed grill for the price!). Have to visit the Kosher McDonalds in Abasto Shopping centre for its novelty value, and it is the same price as the non-kosher one opposite.

You should ask at your hotel if they have a kosher/jewish map which has all the kosher shops and restaurants on.

If you need any more info I will be happy to help!

Edited: 13 December 2011, 17:31
Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,075 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jewish History tours in BA

Once is where you might find some good Kosher restaurants.

My son had a couple of great meals , told us about them, I promptly forgot the names..

So sadly, I have no names to give but you can use that neighbourhood as a starting point to doing some research :)

toronto
Level Contributor
70 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jewish History tours in BA

How was the tour which one did you do? We are going and I would like some info

TY