We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montevideo and pre-purchasing buquebus tickets

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Montevideo and pre-purchasing buquebus tickets

I'm having a difficult time committing to a quick trip to Montevideo before we leave BA. Right now we have 8 days in the city (with day trips), then 4 days in Mendoza. We get back to BA on 11/30 and leave for Santiago 12/3. Should we spend a couple of nights in Montevideo??? Should I purchase the boat tickets in advance? I would want to be back to BA on 12/2 so that we don't have issues with missing flights, so it would just be from 11/30-12/2. Any tips would be much appreciated!!!

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montevideo and pre-purchasing buquebus tickets

You have few choices: You can purchase fully refundable Buquebus tickets which allow any change of plans,or you can consider to fly back and forth to Montevideo. There are a number of good web specials with Pluna airlines to Montevideo.

Also, the flights from Montevideo to Santiago can be cheaper than from Buenos Aires.

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Montevideo and pre-purchasing buquebus tickets

Montevideo is a phenomenal city, with a rich culture; a natural harbor town with wonderful people. Very walkable, safe, good food, clean, should be great weather when you're there. Highly recommended. Sounds like you're going to have a great trip! Look forward to a trip report . . .

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
482 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montevideo and pre-purchasing buquebus tickets

I just posted a question on the Uruguay forum about a Montevideo car rental. We are having a problem dropping the car downtown on a Sunday as offices are closed. Originally we had planned to take Buquebus back to BA because at that point we will have taken 4 domestic flights and might want a change!

Any rough idea of cost difference Buquebus one way vs air flight MVD-BA one way on Sunday, Dec 4? Also, we are working with a travel agent in BA who is recommending Radisson Victoria Plaza Hotel for our one night stay in Montevideo - but it is very pricey - possibly $usd250-270. We are only staying one night and do want good location close to restaurants. Thanks for any tips!

Seattle, Washington
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Montevideo and pre-purchasing buquebus tickets

Thanks so much! Ended up getting a decent deal on Expedia - round trip flights + 2 nights hotel... I think it would have been about the same as if we'd done the Buquebus, but this way we have more time. I'm excited! LoveToTravel - I definitely saw cheaper rates for good-looking hotels on the different travel sites. I've just been reading these forums to find out what neighborhoods are best to stay in and reading reviews on the hotels. Our hotel is right around $100/night in Montevideo. Happy travels!

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montevideo and pre-purchasing buquebus tickets

Love to travel,

The Radisson has a nice location next to the old town, but is quite pricey. Have a look at www.expedia.com for other choices for your travel date. One hotel which we use quite often in Montevideo is the 4 Points Sheraton. It is walkable distance to the Radisson and the other parts of the old town,restaurants,etc. There are many good restaurants around the 4 Points and the hotel is half of the price of the Radisson.

6. Re: Montevideo and pre-purchasing buquebus tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2012, 04:16