We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ash problem in El Calafate & El Chalten?

Denver, Colorado
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ash problem in El Calafate & El Chalten?

Does anyone can tell me if El Calafate & El Chalten are affected by Chilean Volcanic Ashes? How is Buenos Aires?

We will be in Argentina from Nov. 8 to Nov.21 visiting BUE, Iguazu fall,

El Calafate and El Chalten. Wondering if I have to change plans.

Also at EL Calafate, should I reserve excursion to Perito Moreno Glacier before we leave USA as travel company telling me?

We only do 45min. boat ride which is several times a day running.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
365 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ash problem in El Calafate & El Chalten?

I was in Calafate in early Oct., absolutely no issues with volcanic ash. The volcano is quite a distance north of Calafate and the winds generally blow the ash to the east/north east affecting the Bariloche region.

What could affect your plans is if the ash blows into Buenos Aires and closes AEP for your domestic flight. It happens pretty infrequently now, but did occur about two weeks ago.

Your hotel contact should be able to make all reservations for tours for you. After we arrived we rented a car for 24 hours, visited Laguna Nimez the first evening for an awesome sunset walk, drove out to Perito Moreno the next day. Very easy drive, allowed us to stop along the way for photos, $97 USD with full insurance. The glacier is simply stunning. The main street is filled with travel agencies, many buses run out to the glacier.

Our hotel reserved VIP seats for the All Glaciers Boat Tour for the following day. We loved it - spent the day watching the mountains, icebergs and glaciers float by. Scenery is gorgeous.

Enjoy your trip!

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
365 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ash problem in El Calafate & El Chalten?

We had to cancel because of ash clouds on the 16th of Oct. Our flight from Lima was delayed 12hrs and we missed our connection:)

Hummingbird..sounds like you had a great time....will just have to return someday!

Denver, Colorado
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ash problem in El Calafate & El Chalten?

Thanks for detailed info.

Problem is new Hudson Volcano, near Perito Morino and El Chalten area.

This Volcano erupted on 1991 as world largest one for 20th century they say.

So far it seems all excursion activities are as usual in El Calafate when I checked today.

We are leaving US and if things are bad there, we will just change our plan.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
365 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ash problem in El Calafate & El Chalten?

A poster on Fodor's was reporting on 11/2 that the Hudson had been reduced from red alert to yellow. Hopefully it will remain quiet for you and not disrupt your travel plans.

New York
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ash problem in El Calafate & El Chalten?

How did you get to El Cafate ? It seems very expensive? Any local airlines? I tried LADE but the site didn't work

Thanks Cherie

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
365 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ash problem in El Calafate & El Chalten?

We flew Aerolineas Argentinas from AEP via Trelew into Calafate; return was via Ushuaia, then directly into EZE for flights back to U.S. R/T fare was $400 USD via a travel agent in Cordoba province about four months prior to the trip.

New York
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ash problem in El Calafate & El Chalten?

Thanks for your info. Ant other input would be appreciated. Flygrl49@ optonline.net

Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Ash problem in El Calafate & El Chalten?

We are here now and you shouldn't have any problems! Working on our Patagonia blog post now - if you want to check it out for ideas: www.yolortw.com.

Let me know if you have any questions and have an awesome time. We leave tomorrow :(

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,525 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ash problem in El Calafate & El Chalten?

The volcanoes had been on quite a good behaviour lately, but today, once more, we did have flights delayed and canceled:

lanacion.com.ar/1421948-otra-vez-las-cenizas…

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ash problem in El Calafate & El Chalten?

Hummingbird. Where did you rent the car for $97/day? We are trying to rent a vehicle in calafate, but so far all the prices are absurd.