We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mobile (cell) phone

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
371 posts
636 reviews
Save Topic
mobile (cell) phone

hey guys

forgot to ask in my other post about prepaid sim cards. I have a basic unlocked mobile phone and our apt has a phone but for local (appar non cell) calls. They told us to buy a phonecard to make calls to cell phones - what is this and where do I get one? or should I just buy a prepaid sim and use my own phone to make such calls? where would I go to purchase one of these?

and more importantly to those living/visiting BA please advise us of any events or activities people are up to - would love to join in (when not studying Spanish!!)

thanks

James

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,851 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mobile (cell) phone

http://www.batravelguide.com/

http://landingpadba.com/

timeout.com/buenos-aires/features/299/festiv…

Good websites to keep up with what is happening in town.

Recoleta Feria is all weekend, that is always fun. Palermo on weekends is great, shopping, eating and walking and sightseeing. We have lived here for about 5 years now and still enjoy these things.

Look for free concerts in the parks. Check the Bibliotecha website..

http://www.bn.gov.ar/

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
371 posts
636 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mobile (cell) phone

thanks again Scarlett, have started on a couple of those and will get busy on the others. Cant wait to get immersed, in fact have decided to postphone the language lessons for another week as have been invited to a polo day on Monday (and the jetlag is still knocking us around hahaha).

Can I just ask again for thoughts about the phone situation above please :)

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,188 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mobile (cell) phone

Hi teamflames:

We always buy a Sim card from Moviestar for our opened cell phone. the sales folks are very helpful - just ask for an English speaker if you are not fluent in Spanish.

The main Moviestar address is: Corrientes 665, near Florida Street.

Or, in Recoleta: Musi Mundo..on Santa Fe and Callao.

Then we re-up the minutes either on line or from the ubiquitous kioskos.

For international calls, we either use Skype from our apt. or buy an international card (those kioskos again) and plug in the card number before the contact number. The card llamada directa seems to get the most minutes. There are also many phone booths in stores from which you can make international calls.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
371 posts
636 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mobile (cell) phone

thanks Marnie,

yes we are now on Skype! and loving it (bit slow on the technology front), I did pop into a movistar yesterday to ask some questions but there whole system was down, but now that you have confirmed them I will head in there again.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mobile (cell) phone

You can buy in any KIOSCO a pre paid Sim Card. It cost AR$30

Edited: 12 November 2011, 15:56
Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,851 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mobile (cell) phone

There are MovieStar all over the place .. Santa Fe is the best place to find one ..

Edited: 12 November 2011, 17:26
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
37 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mobile (cell) phone

I find as to just getting your unlocked phone working,

if you want to spend minimal time, waiting,

and lines are the example!!!! never the exception.

Rapi-Pago locations almost everywhere you look in the city of 6 million,

ask,

perdon, necessita chip (sim) por mi cell o telephone" 10 to 20 pesos max, comes with 5 peso credit ,but immediately pay 100 peso,(25.00),

if you use data on pre pay,(which is what you are doing at rapi pago or any location without a contract,)

it will be expensive,

use wi-fi as much as possible,

remember on pre pay plans, the data allowance expires in one month,

used or not,

it does not Roll-Over!!!!

when you have exceeded your usage(amount paid), your phone simply does not function although it will receive calls,

pay again at any Rapi-Pago or kiosk or carrefour or coto two large supermarkets.

For data to function on almost all prepay plans, sims available for Claro,Personal and Movistar, only from the Rapi-Pago or "Main locations, or those providers

not to be confused with the hundreds of vendors,that use the names (carrier)

for the data to function you most likely need to input an APN and MMS info into your phones network-data parameter.A message might suggest you are not signed up for data---- simply lookup APN codes for your phone on Bing-google-etc. and follow the instructions, you'll be internet ready, but beware data usage rates consume your allowance of time or calls or MB usage, your prepay time credits .If you are a high user of data pay 200 -400 pesos on your sim. enough for data for a week, heavy usage,--half that for phone usage only-local-remember cell is higher than land line,

Good luck and I hope this helps someone, I have an Iphone and it was challenging getting everything to function---- I must add I had both unlocked and Gevey Sim type phones, the latter function but you must input the correct APN and MMS codes or forget it....Tranquillo,,, takes time, but it all works, perhaps a little slower than you may be accustomed to,"es normal"

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,851 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mobile (cell) phone

wpaapw ...Excellent advice ! perfecto and yes, the iPhone is a challenge in the beginning ! I almost gave up and went back to my little MovieStar phone that does nothing but sit there and tell time. ( It also lived after being washed in the washing machine ) .. We buy our phone minutes at any of the little Carrefour markets ..

9. Re: mobile (cell) phone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2012, 10:27