We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top Ten To Do in Buenos Aires

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Top Ten To Do in Buenos Aires

Hola wise and gentle folks,

As Buenos Aires experts, what should our top ten sights be? We are a middle-aged couple in fair physical shape with little Spanish language skills; we have budgeted USD100/day: interested in art, architecture, music, history (and I love Boca Juniors). We stay in an appartement on Puyerredon mid January 2012 for about ten days before our flight to Ushuaia.

I am much obliged for your help and insight.

M.

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,531 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top Ten To Do in Buenos Aires

Hello Mecla!

(Although probably not deserving it, I love your "Hello wise and gentle folks")

Here goes my top list, when others add to it, you may end up with a top 20!!

- RECOLETA AREA:

a) the Cemetery (guided tours available).

b)Stroll along Alvear, Quintana and Callao for some of the most beautiful French-inspired buildings.

- AVENIDA DE MAYO: (Many examples of neoclassical architecture on this Avenue).

a) Palacio Barolo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palacio_Barolo

b) - Café Tortoni: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caf%C3%A9_Tortoni

- Teatro Colón: Guided tours available www.teatrocolon.org.ar/en/index.php…

- La Boca: a) Caminito Street and b) Museo B. Quinquela Martín.

- San Telmo (Market on Sundays). Worth visiting any day of the week.

- MALBA Museum: Modern Latin American Art. (Restaurant: overpriced and not worth it, according to latest reviews).

- Puerto Madero: a) the Docks, b) el Puente de la Mujer (Woman’s Bridge), c) Fortabat Museum. (Plenty of good restaurants in the area).

Evita fans?:

- Casa Rosada (*the* balcony: where Evita made her speeches and Madonna sang “don’t cry for me Argentina”) and Plaza de Mayo

- Museo Evita. In Palermo. (Nice, relaxed restaurant).

Buenos Aires Bus (Hop on / hop off touristic bus) will take you to most (or all) of these places:

http://www.buenosairesbus.com/en/service.htm

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,075 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top Ten To Do in Buenos Aires

Well, I am sure I am neither wise nor that gentle but I will see if I can think of anything to add to the Excellent list of vero ..

When we visited BA, we tried to see a barrio a day plus the museums and Cemetery etc.

So in that vein ... Take the Hop On/Off bus the first day so you can get an overall view of the city and see parts (Boca) that you won't need to go back to.

Then .. a day in Recoleta .. Cemetery, parks, Museums, walk the avenues and admire the architecture and monuments and take photos .. lots of photos.

Palermo Botanico - the gardens, cafes, Museo Evita.

Palermo Soho ... shopping.. eating .. shopping.. sightseeing.. shopping.

Puerto Madero, on a Sunday is good, brunch at one of the cafes along the water, see the Ecological Reserve, take lots of photos ..

You can combine Puerto Madero with a visit to San Telmo .. or not.

San Telmo can be mobbed on Sundays but any day but Monday is good .. for just wandering, lunch, photos, window shopping or just good ole shopping!

Casa Rosada and a few other monuments and sites will be included on a Big Bus tour so you might just be content with seeing it that way - otherwise, take a tour.

I have lived here for almost 5 years now and every day I carry my camera with me and we usually end up wandering somewhere and discovering areas that are beautiful or just interesting.

It is a huge city and jammed with everything .. interesting/hectic/noisy/dirty/beautiful/wonderful.

Try to leave a day open so you can just feel like doing this or that with no big schedule to keep.

Have fun. It is a long trip to get here and you should be able to enjoy, savor and appreciate Buenos Aires.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Top Ten To Do in Buenos Aires

Whatever you choose to do, bear in mind that the weather in Jan is usually very hot and humid. Walking long distances may not be as much a fun activity as it would be at a different time.

Edited: 27 December 2011, 17:52
Oregon
Level Contributor
116 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top Ten To Do in Buenos Aires

I'm not an expert, but among my top 10 would be:

Recoleta Cemetary & a stop at La Biela to eat outside, see and be seen

Museo Evita with a meal at their cafe

A street fair - I like Mataderos or Recoleta better than San Telmo

Cafe Tortoni

MALBA (but NOT their cafe)

Visit an estancia

Stroll along Santa Fe or an area of Palermo or the streets of Recoleta shopping (window or otherwise) and stopping for coffees and alfajores or ice cream

The Botanical Gardens

If you like a show, try Opera Pampa

Visit Museo Xul Solar

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Top Ten To Do in Buenos Aires

Just to add to the very good recommendations above, some beautiful buildings you might want to take a look at:

Embajada de Francia (french embassy) Ave Libertador 498

American Embassy also on Avenida Libertador

Palacio Paz in the Circulo Miltar in front of Plaza San Martin

Jockey Club Argentino in Avenida Alvear 1345

Hotel Centro Naval in Calle Cordoba 622 and the Centro Naval in Florida

centronaval.org.ar/sedes/sede-central.html

The Sofitel Hotel in calle Arroyo

The Palacio Duhau Park Hyatt

The Four Seasons

Esplendor Phoenix Hotel Buenos Aires

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,075 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Top Ten To Do in Buenos Aires

I do anna's list often :)

When we just take off and wander the neighborhood..

Or we go towards Palermo and go through Barrio Parque and Palermo Chico and I daydream about moving house.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
304 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Top Ten To Do in Buenos Aires

El Palacio de las Aguas Corrientes is a very beautiful building located on Avda Cordoba 1950, declared Edificio de Patrimonio Historico Nacional; for a complete list of similar buildings, check the website www.monumentosysitios.gov.ar. I liked the Palacios Errazuriz, Pizzurno and de Glace also. I loved to stop and look at the little details of buildings located near Florida street; Palacio Naval, Colegio Militar, Gallerias Guemes and Pacifico. Around the corner,

the edificio Kavanagh was at the time the first skyscraper and tallest building in South America. All these fascinating architectural wonders were built when Argentina was one of the richest countries in the world, and not only that because money is not all; it was ruled by people with vision, intelligence and style, at a time when French architectural styles were on fashion and an incipient and growing burgueiose class demanded similar fashions to be in the same level as their French counterparts. If you like Boca Juniors, take a guided tour of La Boca neighborhood,look at the bridge Avellaneda , this area we found it very similar to some areas of Napoli and Sicily, and the colorful painted tenements houses similar to Burano, near Venice ; the Quinquela Martin Museum, the Boca stadium (called La Bombonera) and Museum with all the trophies that Boca won nationally and internationally, the statue of idol Maradona and watch a movie depicting the history of the club.

My teenage son who loves soccer attended a Boca game and that was the highlight of his trip. Enjoy your trip to BSAS; Argentina in general is fascinating like no other in all the places we have been around the world, and we can't wait to go back, hopefully we will in 2012.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Top Ten To Do in Buenos Aires

I forgot about the Palacio de Las Aguas which is spectacular. Thanks Adromache for your information. I also forgot about the Estacion Peru which is a subway station which has been declared a Monumento Historico Nacional right by the Plaza de Mayo, it dates back to early 1900's and is well worth visiting.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
707 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Top Ten To Do in Buenos Aires

The above posts are where it's at.

The only other suggestion I would make is a day on the Delta ....you can easily get to Tigre on your own......and either do a bus boat for an hour each way or treat yourself to a day with Ana and Ralph at Delta Unplugged.

Delta Unplugged provides a most memorable experience!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Top Ten To Do in Buenos Aires

I don't think that El Ateneo Grand Splendid has been mentioned yet but in my opinion, apart from Teatro Colon, it is one of the most beautiful and impressive buildings in the whole of Buenos Aires.

El Ateneo Grand Splendid is located at Av.Santa Fe 1860 in between Riobomba and Av.Callao. Today it is a bookstore and music shop but it was originally a theatre built in the early 1900s. During its renovation, the original theatre seating was removed and in its place, bookshelves were installed. Seating areas were installed throughout the building including within the still-intact theatre boxes. There is also a cafe on what was the old theatre stage.

I hope you visit this beautiful bookstore and building, whether it is to relax in the cafe, read a book or just to marvel at the architecture and decorations! A must see on my list!