We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tigre & the Delta or San Antonio de Areco & Pampas Estancias

new jersey
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Tigre & the Delta or San Antonio de Areco & Pampas Estancias

I have 2 days/ 1 night off in early Feb in Buenos Aires in between meetings. So, I was considering going to one of the two places. Any suggestions including what to do there and where to stay? I prefer nature and quieter places. Thanks.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,425 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tigre & the Delta or San Antonio de Areco & Pampas Estancias

Tigre is just a train ride north , you can make that a day trip..less than an hour.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tigre & the Delta or San Antonio de Areco & Pampas Estancias

We have been to both places and both are worth a visit but with so little time you should go to Tigre. San Antonio is farther away and at least an overnight trip. Put the words "Tigre" into the subject box in the forum and you will find all of the info you need. One tip is to take a taxi to the railroad station. We have actually walked there but it is in an awkward place to get to and really not worth the effort.

Take the Retiro Station Mitre Line, usually from platforms 3 or 4 to the Bartolomé Mitre station (last station of this branch) where you can make a connection with the Tren de la Costa. Once you arrive at the station you must cross the pedestrian bridge over Avenida Maipú, which leads to the Maipú station of Tren de la Costa, where you can take the train to Delta station in the town of Tigre.

The Tren de la Costa has two types of tickets, a direct Maipú – Delta service and another that allows the visitor off at various stations without paying any extra (you can descend into the station you want in the same direction, each station offers various forms of entertainment and enjoyment). The Tren de la Costa runs every twenty minutes daily.

This sounds a little complicated but it is really an easy trip. On the way back from tigre, we got off the Tren de la Costa at several stops, just walked around for a while and got back on the next train.

Mentioned in this post
new jersey
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tigre & the Delta or San Antonio de Areco & Pampas Estancias

Thanks, Lessu222.

Tigre it shall be then! You seem to have travelled quite a bit in Argentina, so I have another question for you. I am planning to take the overnight bus from BA to Mendoza, essentially to see the Andes and take drive on the Alta Montana Route. Is it worth it? I notice those bus tickets are not exactly cheap, at about $125 a pop.

Regards.

Mentioned in this post
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tigre & the Delta or San Antonio de Areco & Pampas Estancias

Tigre!

Take a train and it cost you less than 2 pesos!

Just came back from Tigre last 2 weeks ago!

From there, take the RIO TOUR which is the 70 pesos!

the boat rode across the delta for 1.5 hours!

It's worth!

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
747 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tigre & the Delta or San Antonio de Areco & Pampas Estancias

I, too, would not take the Tren de la Costa. I'd take the regular train.

Contact Delta Unplugged beforehand and enjoy a memorable day on the Delta with Ana and Ralph!

Cheers, Ronnie

new jersey
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tigre & the Delta or San Antonio de Areco & Pampas Estancias

Thanks, Ronnie. Thanks, Victor.

Your input is appreciated.

7. Re: Tigre & the Delta or San Antonio de Areco & Pampas Estancias

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2013, 10:21