We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK Visitor March 2012

Brits in la Palma
Level Contributor
63 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
UK Visitor March 2012

Hi fellow travellers I really need some help.

My wife and myself have arranged a 4 nights stay in Buenos Aires in the Poetry Building, Recoleta. Given the 30 year Falklands anniversay can anyone advise if its a safe option to visit for a UK National. We really want to go but are concerned but would like a little reassurance.

Thanks

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK Visitor March 2012

Hello LaPalmaDuo,

Never have I heard of UK tourists having problems here due to their nationality.

Had lunch a couple of months ago with a couple of British TA members to whom I asked precisely that question. They confirmed that after having traveled quite extensively throughout Argentina they had felt welcomed everywhere.

Rest assured!

Brits in la Palma
Level Contributor
63 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK Visitor March 2012

Thanks we really want the visit to go ahead.

Appreciate your advice.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,041 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK Visitor March 2012

Hi

I live close to the British Embassy and the only time there is any anger shown that I know of, is the spray paint on the buildings in the vicinity when there are (infrequent) rallies or demonstrations.

Sometimes people will chat with us and ask if we are British .. we have never had any rudeness or felt insecure regarding this ( we are not British) ..

Overall, I think the people here are some of the nicest and often most welcoming than I have met in all my travels.

Brits in la Palma
Level Contributor
63 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK Visitor March 2012

Thanks thats great to hear. We have met some wonderful Argentinians on our tour.

Cheers John

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,041 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UK Visitor March 2012

…dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/01/26/article-20…

This is the sort of problem the protestors cause the most. That and traffic jams.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
141 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UK Visitor March 2012

I think you'll be OK, but it looks like Prince William is catching some flak as a "conquistador" =

…msn.com/_news/2012/02/01/10286034-argentina…

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,424 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UK Visitor March 2012

My husband and I are British. We love Buenos Aires and return when we can. We both find William's trip embarrassing and provocative. My husband doesn't stop there: he adds "profoundly sordid" and "public school playground" as in, " Har har that'll sort those Argies out - what!"

We don't talk about the Malvinas in Argentina out of politeness and no one has ever raised it with us. I lived through that all that the last time, in London, which was more than enough.

There's just too many positive things to share with people you may meet in BA. Delightful and memorable things every day even if you don't speak Spanish as we don't yet but try. We go there not only to enjoy it but for a blessed escape from the messes Up North on both sides of the pond. I consider my BA visits to be vital mental health breaks from all that. And they are.

We've never seen or felt even a hint of being snubbed. And I've never heard of a British visitor who has been. Argentines very much treat people as distinct individuals, we've found. And they're extremely kind, friendly and thoughtful. You should have a great time is my bet. You'll also be staying in a great area. Don't worry.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,472 posts
765 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UK Visitor March 2012

I'd have to totally agree with Sockhopper. I have many friends and clients from the UK that go to Buenos Aires often and none of them have ever mentioned any problems at all. Quite the reverse, they rave about it and really love it there.

As long as you don't talk politics or bring the subject up you should have no problems at all.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UK Visitor March 2012

William's visit has certainly heightened tensions as Argentine protestors attacked a British bank in BA yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XVm9phZz9Y

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,424 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: UK Visitor March 2012

Daniel, hi!

How did portenos treat you when you visited BA and then reported on it in December? It sounds as though you had a great time.

BTW, did you do the tour of Teatro Colon? I did and loved it and so agree with your having found it stunning.

(My husband's from Manchester too.)

Edited: 03 February 2012, 18:14