We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be careful: Tourist Stabbed to Death on Plaza San Martin

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,618 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Be careful: Tourist Stabbed to Death on Plaza San Martin

There is a sad story in Clarin about a tourist who was stabbed to death in broad daylight resisting a group of delinquents who were attempting to steal his camera as he snapped pictures of the Malvinas War Memorial.

One of the robbers was caught,. Two are still on thre loose.

Exrercise care and don't resist armed robbers, even if they are young and are armed with knives instread of automatic weapons.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Be careful: Tourist Stabbed to Death on Plaza San Martin

Oh goodness that's terrible news. I was a bit nervous around the Plaza San Martin as a friend of ours had been subject to a scam involving a dark liquid being thrown on him and had his wallet stolen but getting stabbed to death is another matter.

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,618 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Be careful: Tourist Stabbed to Death on Plaza San Martin

Chrella, Last time I stayed at the Marriott my room overlooked Plaza San Martin and the War Memorial. I would not have imagined that area to be particularly dangerous, especially during the day time.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
37 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Be careful: Tourist Stabbed to Death on Plaza San Martin

Really sad, i was there on Monday in the exact spot taking photos and didnt feel dangerous at all. Was there for a few hours then on an evening walk tour, normally there are soldiers on station at the memorial as well.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,059 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Be careful: Tourist Stabbed to Death on Plaza San Martin

A male tourist was stabbed to death this morning in the city neighbourhood of Retiro, after thieves tried to steal his camera while he was walking through the area. The incident took place in the central San Martín Square, at the intersection of Libertador Avenue and San Martín street.

The 40-year-old man was murdered at around 8 am this morning, in front of the Malvinas Monument in the square and according to witnesses at the scene, the perpetrators of the crime live in the area.

Police detained a man in connection to the crime. Officials were working in the area in order to further investigate the case.

from the Buenos Aires Herald

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,532 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Be careful: Tourist Stabbed to Death on Plaza San Martin

Just horrible.

James is right. There are usually soldiers there.

Please everybody: be careful, and do not try to fight back - no camera or wallet is worth one's life!

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,470 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Be careful: Tourist Stabbed to Death on Plaza San Martin

That is just terrible news...we heard it on the TV, Clarin station.

Your reminders to be careful with cameras etc., and not to resist should such an awful situation present, is very important. This level of violence is unusual, but not unheard of, in the tourist areas of Buenos Aires.

Thank you for the cautionary posts.

~Marnie

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
37 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Be careful: Tourist Stabbed to Death on Plaza San Martin

He's now been named as a 40 year old Frenchman, according to the TV they're unsure if he was a professional photographer or a tourist. Am guessing that the soldiers aren't on duty that early in the morning, such a shame as when i was in B.A i never felt threatened or that i was in danger.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,059 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Be careful: Tourist Stabbed to Death on Plaza San Martin

buenosairesherald.com/article/92213/tourist-…

He was a professional photographer and tourist ..

This is terribly sad ..

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
502 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Be careful: Tourist Stabbed to Death on Plaza San Martin

This is such a sad news story....It happens in every city of the world. Thieves that value a bit or money or a camera, more than a person's life...

Honolulu
Level Contributor
14 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Be careful: Tourist Stabbed to Death on Plaza San Martin

In December my husband was standing just outside the Marriott when an elderly man had his camera stolen off his shoulder. The thief was young and quick, so much so that hotel security close by could not catch up with him. It happened very quickly.