We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just lazy...

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
miami beach
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
just lazy...

went to BA sbout 10 years ago and had the wonderful fortuen to have been lead by the hand by a friend and his famille...and am now meeting some frinds again next week...questions...ATM..bring USD and exchange?? or ATM?...wonder around BA?...or organize...i hate to B cattle..but we want to go to Tigre and Colina for an away thing...and weather?...tennis...love tho boys on clay and i will go it for a day...cha cha...suggestions?!..d

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,617 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: just lazy...

BA free tour ... ATM ... wunderground.com/global/stations/87582.html .....have fun

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
251 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: just lazy...

ATM can give you dollars or pesos (but probably only 100 or 50 dollar notes, not change) In lot of places you can pay directly in dollars. Some cash in pesos can be necessary for taxis, tips, etc. In BA downtown most of places accept credit cards.

There are some new government restrictions to buy dollars right now in BA so if you come here with some cash from US could be better.

Weather is really warm. Some days over 90-95F!! (you are from Miami so nothing unknown I guess...)

It is high season to go to Colonia by ferry so could be better check first www.buquebus.com for tickets. You could stay half a day or more in Colonia and then come back to BA. There you could rent a motorbike to move around the colonial area of the town.

You can take a train (Tren de la Costa) to go to Tigre. Check the official website: www.trendelacosta.com.ar (a version in English available)

Regarding tennis the Buenos Aires ATP tournament starts on Feb 18 at the Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club. Check it at www.copaclaro.com if you are interested in...tickets prices, timetable, etc. There are 2 topten players and 8-9 top30 players who will play this year.

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,543 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: just lazy...

Where in BA can you receive dollars from an ATM?

I have not asked for dollars since the new regulations re:dollars, but in my experience dollars have not been available from bank machines since 2002, despite listing this option on the screen,.

Due to limits on the amount that can be withdrawn from ATM's and high ATM fees, my preference is to bring dollars and exchange for pesos at Banco de la Nacion or Piano Bank at the airport (note: do not use Global Exchange, whose pathetic rates of exchange amount to stealing your money).

Edited: 11 February 2012, 11:58
YYC
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: just lazy...

dr_dawggy,

The other day when the nonclient atm at HSBC at Las Heras/J.E. Uriburu was out of money they said to go to the one at Callao/Quintana. I thought you could withdraw pesos or USD at that machine. Perhaps I am wrong.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
756 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: just lazy...

No, you can't withdraw US dollars in the ATM machines in Buenos Aires as a tourist. Possibly if you have a US dollar account locally but even then I'm not sure if you can withdraw US dollars.

I have a US dollar account based in Buenos Aires but to be honest I've never checked if you can actually take out dollars but I know tourists can't from their bank cards back home in the BA ATM machines.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
251 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: just lazy...

I have accounts at Citi Buenos Aires in pesos and dollars and I am allowed to take out dollars from an ATM or any citibank office. I am not sure about an account from a bank outside Argentina. The problem here is buying dollars but when you got them there are not restrictions to take them out. Although it is something that could change in the future.

Agree with dr_..., I never use ATM for taking out cash abroad. Usually you are not aware of the final cost of the transaction till the operation is over...

Agree again, Banco Nación and Banco Piano are both good options (at the airport or in downtown offices) to change pesos.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,617 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: just lazy...

Agree that the cost of ATM's can be high when faced with fees at both ends, but I dislike walking around with a bundle of cash, so prefer to pay the ATM fees in order to only have the equivalent of a couple of hundred dollars at any one time.

The other problem for us with exchanging US$ into pesos is that we have to pay two conversion rates... from our Cdn $ into US $ and then into pesos. An ATM transaction means only only one conversion. (Not a problem for those from the US or those who have businesses with transactions in US cash).

Just curious though ... what is the current rate of exchange for exchanging US$ into pesos at Banco Nacion or Piano?

YYC
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: just lazy...

Hi,

If I remember correctly, the rate to exchange USD to pesos at the airport Banco de la nation was around 4.45. However a friend who lives said he got 4.6 at the Four Seasons.

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,543 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: just lazy...

The official rate of exchange offered by Banks and exchange houses is around 4.32-4.35 Dolar Hoy is a good way to keep up with the exchange rate in Argentina. http://dolarhoy.com/indexx.php

Since the new government restrictions re: buying and selling dollars went into effect several months ago, the informal or Blue market rate has offered a higher rate at about 10% above the offiial rate. Ambito.com lists both the official and informal rates of exchange. The informal exhange rate is around 4.75 at the moment. The Four Seasons may well have offered a rate nearer the informal rate as a way of obtaining dollars. www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/dolar.asp

Edited: 11 February 2012, 21:15
YYC
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: just lazy...

Could well be aout the the Four Seasons. He mentioned yesterday that was the rate he received for US cash.