We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buquebus Ferry - Buenos Aires to Colonia

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Buquebus Ferry - Buenos Aires to Colonia

We are planning to take the ferry (preferably the Fast Ferry)

from Buenos Aires to Colonia on March 27 or 28 after having flown into Buenos Aires from Australia on 26 March (arrive late in the afternoon)

A few questions:

At that time of year would we expect be able to just arrive at the ferry terminal and buy tickets to go on the same day or should we book the day before?

Is it possible to book tickets somewhere other than at the terminal - for example through our hotel or at an agency (English- speaking)?

How much before departure time do we need to be at the terminal?

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,497 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buquebus Ferry - Buenos Aires to Colonia

If your travel dates are on a weekend then you should book at least one week in advance. For other times, then book as far ahead as possible to make sure that you get a seat. They have fully refundable ticket options if you are unsure of your travel dates.

The tickets may be purchased online,via telephone(English), at the Buquebus office in Recoleta on Posadas, and at most travel agencies.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
384 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buquebus Ferry - Buenos Aires to Colonia

Another option that's way cheaper: www.seacatcolonia.com

Basically, off-shoot of Buquebus meant to compete with low-cost competitor Colonia Express. I just got my r/t ticket for early May: about U$ 37. It run less frequently but it's only takes 1 hr. (Same as Buquebus and vs. Colonia Express's 3 hrs.)

Edited: 20 February 2012, 02:39
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buquebus Ferry - Buenos Aires to Colonia

Thanks to both of you for your advice.

san diego
Level Contributor
191 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buquebus Ferry - Buenos Aires to Colonia

Great info, thanks!

buenos aires...
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buquebus Ferry - Buenos Aires to Colonia

The best way to buy boat tickets is online. There are 3 companies from which to choose for your voyage; Seacat, Colonia Express and Buquebus. All of these companies have offices on the 700 (Seacat and Colonia Express) and 800 (Buquebus) blocks of Av Cordoba in central BA.

I bought a ticket from Seacat online in Dec. to go to Colonia in January. It was much cheaper than Buquebus. I purchased tickets for the fast boats

was really surprised to find myself traveling round trip on a Buquebus boat. I don't know if this is normal or if I was just lucky.

I believe that passengers are required to get to the terminal 1 1/2 hours before the sailing. Bon Voyage !!!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
460 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Buquebus Ferry - Buenos Aires to Colonia

I actually just made this trip. It was on a Friday morning, in the middle of the holidays (read: BUSY). I showed up at the terminal and bought my ticket for the next boat ... 30 minutes later. No problem.

It was very easy, no hassles and I was told it was just about the busiest time of year for them. There are several different price levels (including taking your car with you) and you may not get the cheapest seats, but I wouldn't worry too much. I'd just buy it when I get there.

WQst

http://youtu.be/zC4WHni_B8Y

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
440 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buquebus Ferry - Buenos Aires to Colonia

I highly recommend you do not take the late (9:15-ish) Seacat boat back. It was one of the most miserable hours of my life... my partner spent the ENTIRE trip throwing up (as did several other people), while the crew lurched about, handing out water and extra barf bags (and I say "lurched" because the ride was so rough that nobody could stay upright without holding onto something at all times.) I have a pretty strong stomach, but even I was more nauseated than I've ever been (outside of food poisoning/college hangover.) They couldn't open the duty-free shop, but through the glass door we could see all of the merchandise being thrown off of the shelves and sliding about on the floor. I'll never take Seacat again, but if you do... pack some Dramamine :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buquebus Ferry - Buenos Aires to Colonia

Again, thanks everyone for your advice

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buquebus Ferry - Buenos Aires to Colonia

I think that depends on a specific time or a particular company. Depending on the tide or the wind and these conditions may occur in Buquebus, Seacat or ColoniaExpresss

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
251 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buquebus Ferry - Buenos Aires to Colonia

Book online... best serivce although more expensive, Buquebus.

There are boats (also in Buquebus) that expense 3 hours to Colonia and others that expense only 1 hour.