We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phones & Entrance fee

Texas
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Phones & Entrance fee

So it's going to cost me $100+ US to visit for a few days?? Wow

About phones -- I will bring my IPhone to use WiFi but what is my best option for a phone?

How much for a phone & sim card purchased there ready to go?

Thanks for the help

Texas
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phones & Entrance fee

It looks like I can get one from Walmart -- should I get one that has WiFi for hot spots?

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
440 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phones & Entrance fee

Yep, the fairly recent, rather controversial reciprocity fee. We charge them to enter the US, so they decided to start charging us the same amount. It's annoying, but knowing what an insane and costly process Argentines have to go through for their American tourist visas, I can't get too worked up about it (besides, Brazil and many other countries have been doing it for years.) The good thing is that your one-time payment is then valid for 10 years.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phones & Entrance fee

There is wifi everywhere in Buenos Aires. Definately get yourself a phone with wifi and save a lot of cash on roaming charges.

Jon

Check out our RTW travel blog and advice site - www.theintrepidexplorers.com

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
251 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phones & Entrance fee

Scott,

it is not for a few days. It is valid for 10 years. Similar cost that Brazilians, Chileans or Argentinians have to pay to enter to the USA.

You will have to pay a reciprocity fee to enter in each country.

You should get an smartphone or a tablet or a netbook.

Most of hotels, bars and cafés have wifi (usually free). You could check if your hotel offer wifi in the lobby and/or in the room...

Texas
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phones & Entrance fee

Thanks to all !

I can bring my iPhone and tablet...

but -- I want to buy a phone & sim there unlocked to make calls

What & where is my best bet?

I'll be near San Martin square

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,500 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phones & Entrance fee

There are many phone stores along Ave Florida where you can purchase an inexpensive phone and also a pay as you go SIM card. The cost for both should be less than 150 pesos.

7. Re: Phones & Entrance fee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 01:17