We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delightful Time on the Tigre Delta

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,279 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Delightful Time on the Tigre Delta

DH and I, along with our friends visiting from France, spent a wonderful 2 days on the Delta. We all felt that this trip was a real highlight of our side-trips in Argentina – and we have had some great ones.

We took a taxi to Maipu Station and went up the escalator grazing all the old furniture stalls. Very easy station to negotiate. The train had pretty nice seats and good views of the small towns along the way. (It would be nice if they cleaned those viewing windows a bit better). But a good ride to 'Delta', which is the Tigre stop and the end of the line.

We were spending one night in Hotel Villa Victoria. When I asked directions, they had told me it was about 15 blocks from the train station….but it was more than an hour’s walk with the overnight bags. It was, though, an interesting walk along Tigre streets, the Delta and some lovely neighborhoods – we enjoyed it. Hotel Villa Victoria was very pretty, peaceful, 1 block from the Delta and in a lovely area. Very nice accommodations with good beds and baths. They have a pool and nice grounds including quite a lovely terrace for meals. (we had dinner there that night, but I am getting ahead of myself)

For lunch, we walked (about 5-10 minutes this time) to Il Novo Maria Lujan Café Restaurant for lunch. Delicious meals all around, and seated afuera, right along the Delta. Could not be beat.

The next day we took the Delta Unplugged tour which was outstanding ! We were joined on the tour by an interesting and congenial couple from Australia/Tazmania. They were as taken with the tour as we were.

* Thank You More Weird for these fabulous recommendations*

From the Port in Tigre, we took the Interisleña (passenger boat) to Lo del Suizo pier and were welcomed by our hosts for the day, Ana and Captain Ralph. We were treated to home baked breads with jams etc. - and they were sooo tasty. Then onto the boat and onto the Delta. Ana is very knowledgeable about the Delta, and about their house which is a part of it's history. She knows the birds and water fowl and the trees - so there is plenty to learn, and to photograph, along with the quiet and peace of the boat trip.

Then there is Ralph who captains the ship and is an exceptional chef. We set sail (no sailing, though, just motor) in the boat towards the river “Paraná de las Palmas”. We had a truly lovely boat ride - a bit like Florida everglades, Argentine style - through the sub tropical landscape on the narrow streams and wide rivers of the Delta’s second section . At a mid point, the boat was anchored in the shade and Ralph, who is a very accomplished chef, makes lunch. And what a lunch...the very best beef we have had in Buenos Aires in several years, the most moist and succulent chicken and delicious, creative and well presented sides. Good wine and beer - and delicious panna cotta for desert. Then, after a relaxing return sail, we headed back to their house for a round of authentic Mate, with explanations. All this for $90.US. The sail itself was a combination of peaceful & interesting & delicious; Ralph and Ana are charming, intelligent and down to earth - they share their love of the Delta with their guests. We are so very pleased to have followed the suggestion of our friend, moreweird, and to have been on Delta Unplugged.

We got a boat taxi back to the Tigre port and there we met the Remis that the hotel concierge had arranged to pick up our overnight bags from the hotel then meet us at the port to take us back to BsAs. (1/2 hour - 140 pesos). This day on the Delta, more than met our already high expectations. The entire weekend was exceptionally fine – including the weather ! And one we can recommend wholeheartedly – we hope to revisit ourselves.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delightful Time on the Tigre Delta

What a great trip Marnie. Thank you for your great report, It has made me very homesick for this area and the wonderful weekends I have spent there!

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,279 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delightful Time on the Tigre Delta

It is mutual, Anna, as many of your posts have whetted our appetites for various trips or sites or spots.

Maybe we will even find ourselves in BsAs or Arg. at the same time one day ?

Best, ~Marnie

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delightful Time on the Tigre Delta

Marnie & co: "Flattery WILL get you everywhere"!

Seriously, I am thrilled the four of you had a more than memorable time!

Can't wait to experience Delta Unplugged again in Nov/Dec......and the Villa Victoria.

I'm assuming the $90US per person!

Cheers, me

san diego
Level Contributor
189 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delightful Time on the Tigre Delta

Also wondering about the cost and whether that was on a "charter" type arrangement for the four of you, or whether someone such as myself who is traveling solo could also do one of those tours.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,279 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delightful Time on the Tigre Delta

You can certainly do the Delta Unplugged Tour as an individual; you will most likely have a friendly group to sail with and very engaging hosts. The cost (and this included breakfast, a sumptuous lunch and drinks both alcoholic and non) was $90 US per person, payable in dollars or the equivalent in Pesos.

Here is the LINK for DELTA UNPLUGGED: www.delta-inplugged.com.ar

&

VILLA VICTORIA Hotel: www.hotelvillavictoria.com.ar

Il Novo MARIA LUJAN Restaurant& Bar: www.ilnovomariadellujan.com

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,523 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delightful Time on the Tigre Delta

Thank you Marnie for the report.

I've always had the best of times in the Delta. Glad you did as well.

Great place to get away from crowded Buenos Aires!

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
14 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delightful Time on the Tigre Delta

Yesss! I love Delta Unplugged!

san diego
Level Contributor
189 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Delightful Time on the Tigre Delta

Contacted them today and they are booked up till April 11 at this point. Guess the good reports have been helping business.

But can anyone tell me, is it worth a trip out to the town on the train just for the sake of it?

Edited: 03 April 2012, 01:40
Auckland
Level Contributor
183 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Delightful Time on the Tigre Delta

albert436, the answer to your question depends on how much time you have in BA and whether the Delta experience is of interest to you.

I had plenty of time in BA so a Delta excursion was on the cards but I, as you are, questioned whether it was worth the effort and if it was even interesting. I did the Delta and found it both worth the effort and very interesting.

Hope this helps.

san diego
Level Contributor
189 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Delightful Time on the Tigre Delta

Thanks nzerze, sometimes a train ride itself can be Interesting and relaxing if it passes through some pleasant scenery.

Unplugged was kind enough to send me back an email suggesting alternate boat tours as well. I am going to look into that and whether to try to squeeze that into the itinerary.

:)

Edited: 03 April 2012, 12:21