We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aerolineas Argentinas international travel

New Zealand
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Aerolineas Argentinas international travel

I need to fly from Buenos Aires to New Zealand. The AA price is much cheaper than LAN. Has anyone experience of AA on international routes, their reliability, comfort in aircraft, friendliness etc.

Special Offer
Buenos Aires Super Saver: City...
132 reviews
from US$135.58*
US$152.63
Iguazu Falls Private Day Trip from...
5 reviews
from US$1,098.00*
Full Day Tour at a Farm in San...
55 reviews
from US$170.00*
Small-Group City Tour of Buenos Aires
180 reviews
from US$35.00*
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
440 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aerolineas Argentinas international travel

In a nutshell: yes. If you do a quick search for "Aerolineas Argentinas" on this forum, you'll be able to read the reports and opinions of many, many travelers who have used the airline.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aerolineas Argentinas international travel

I wouldn't risk it for anything Intercontinental. Within South America, they are bearable, but that's about it!

Jon

Check out our RTW travel blog and advice site - www.theintrepidexplorers.com

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,484 posts
765 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aerolineas Argentinas international travel

Never again! Several years ago I had an international trip from Buenos Aires to Auckland on Aerolineas and it was a HORRIBLE experience.

I know they probably improved in the last few years but I vowed never to fly them on a long international trip again. My experience with them was during a strike. I kept checking in with them and they kept confirming every day up to the trip that all would be ok on my particular flight. They kept saying "don't worry about the strike, your flight to Auckland won't be affected".

Sure enough they finally admitted a few days before that the flight would be cancelled. I got stuck at the 11th hour having to book a last minute flight on LAN. Because it was literally 2 days before I was set to leave, the price was astronomical. I recall a few thousand dollars.

It was too late to cancel the trip because I had already paid for several internal flights and hotels in New Zealand and Australia. It was too late to cancel or I would have lost thousands of dollars on those flights/hotels. I had to bite the bullet and buy a ticket on LAN.

The worst thing is it was like pulling teeth trying to get the refund from Aerolineas Argentina and finally I just let my credit card deal with it as I disputed the charge. The worst thing is they never so much as apologized for the incident.

I definitely wouldn't recommend flying them for a long haul trip. Sure things might go ok but when things to wrong with Aerolineas they typically go horribly wrong and you'll send more money and spin your wheels and waste time trying to fix it.

When you have the choice of LAN vs. Aerolineas I'd take LAN every day of the week.

PS. I've also flown them several times to Rio and there have been several times and issues on those flights as well. Just horrible.

Edited: 14 March 2012, 22:19
Auckland
Level Contributor
183 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aerolineas Argentinas international travel

Just flew here a couple of weeks ago and my sister flew here last night (to BsAs that is) from Auckland on AA. It was Okay, nothing special either positive or negative for both parties.

Sure, the planes are older, the staff were anxious to get service over asap, 2 channels available on tv, sister's flight was delayed a half hour but overall okay.

Maybe we were both lucky but I've flown on plenty worse anyway.

Have flown two 3 hr flights domestically also and no dramas.

Murphy's law I'll have a 5 hr delay or something like upon return to Akl but not expecting it.

Hope this helps.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
613 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aerolineas Argentinas international travel

If you want to get to Akl Aerolineas Argentinas is your best bet. Flown this route a few times and whilst they aren't one of the worlds great airlines they are ok. Personally if I was going to save a stack of coin and didn't have connections to worry about they'd be my choice. Certainly faster than LAN as well.

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,567 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aerolineas Argentinas international travel

As a resident of Argentina I've had my fair share of problems flying Aerolíneas Argentinas.

The last straw was a few years ago from BUE to Paris. 8 hours stranded in Madrid, in the outbound flight, and 5 more hours in Brazil (a technical stop on a supposed direct flight) upon return, where we were not allowed to leave the plane. Never an apology, not one explanation.

As one person's experiences have no statistical value, you could check the Spanish forum. The topic "Aerolíneas Argentinas - la peor pesadilla de mi vida" (my worst nightmare) has had 66 posts in the last 6 months.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,497 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aerolineas Argentinas international travel

We flew with them to BA and didn't have any issues we had more problems with Iberia that forgot to assign a crew to the plane in Madrid on our way back.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,497 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aerolineas Argentinas international travel

Also you may want to post this in the air Travel forum here, there's a link on the right side if you want more info.

buenos aires...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aerolineas Argentinas international travel

I just checked fares with Lan and Aerolineas. Lan's fare was THREE TIMES (300%) more than AA's !!! Assuming that AA flies to BA from Sydney, it might be a good idea to fly a budget airline to Sydney from Auckland (or other NZ city) and fly to BA from Sydney. You might save a lot.

There can be problems with even the highest rated airlines. Even if you have an inconvenience, you'll forget about it in a short period of time. Unless, of course you have money to burn.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,484 posts
765 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aerolineas Argentinas international travel

Wow XChocolateX. That's a big premium which in and of itself might be a big red flag sign that there is far more demand for people to fly LAN vs. Aerolineas.

If anyone decides to fly Aerolineas, my advice would be to buy some travel insurance.