We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maximum ATM withdrawal.

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CHARLOTTE
Level Contributor
820 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Maximum ATM withdrawal.

What is the max. one can withdraw from an ATM there please?

Also, when I get a taxi in front of AEP do I purchase the ticket inside the airport? Thanks.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,873 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maximum ATM withdrawal.

maybe 1,000 pesos at one time, you can do it a couple of times, depending on how much your bank allows.

(I say maybe because we tend to use the same banks all the time in town)

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maximum ATM withdrawal.

Ditto on the ATM machines with Scarlett. 1000 pesos per transaction, but you can reinsert the card and continue with as many transactions as your bank will allow for daily withdrawals.

There is a taxi line in front of AEP. You stand in the line and will pay the driver. In addition, there are remis companies within the airport where you can arrange a car.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Maximum ATM withdrawal.

Generally speaking 1000 pesos is the limit per transaction, however , there are some exceptions. Citibank cardholders may use ATMs at Citibank on Av Libertador to get as many as 2500 pesos in one transaction. I believe these machines are still so operable.

Some cardholders have reported being able to get greater amounts bypassing the ATMs and using teller windows inside certain banks.

CHARLOTTE
Level Contributor
820 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maximum ATM withdrawal.

Hey guys, I appreciate your information. One thing about withdrawing from ATM's multiple times, each time you use an ATM you pay a pretty good fee.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
440 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maximum ATM withdrawal.

If you travel abroad frequently (or ever), it's worth opening a High-Yield Investor checking account with Charles Schwab. They never charge ATM or currency-exchange fees, and reimburse you for any fees charged by the local ATM. Couldn't be easier.

YYC
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Maximum ATM withdrawal.

Yes, you pay a fee, however, when one looks at the big picture, cost for air, hotel, ,,meals etc., we feel it is a small price to pay for the convenience.

CHARLOTTE
Level Contributor
820 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maximum ATM withdrawal.

Starlucia, thanks and please let me know how this works please. Are you stating you use checks to pay? I have never had a property accept a check in SA. Thanks, Frank

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Maximum ATM withdrawal.

Besides Schwab, there are many institutions which issue debit cards which waive the $4 Banelco or Link fee, e.g. Cap One, Fidelity, Credit unions, etc. For someone traveling a lot it saves a couple hundred $ per year and there is no front end expense any greater than other cards/accounts that don't waive fees.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maximum ATM withdrawal.

Tarheel,

Starlucia is referring to the ATM card which is issued by Charles Schwab. Tehy waive the ATM fees worldwide including the local withdrawal fee.

No one will accept a bank check here in Argentina from a foreign bank.

Michigan
Level Contributor
17 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maximum ATM withdrawal.

hah! why didn't I think of that? Thanks, Starlucia! My credit union's ATM card has minimum charges hence I always use that abroad. But zero is better than minimal! ;-)