We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recoleta or Palermo

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
710 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Recoleta or Palermo

First time visitor to BA, which area do you recommend & how far apart are they?

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,502 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recoleta or Palermo

Palermo and Recoleta are next to one another so you could choose either one depending on your accomodations. Recoleta is a little more centrally located for sightseeing.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
541 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recoleta or Palermo

Recoleta is a more established, upscale neighborhood that is more centrally located. The Recoleta Cemetary is a top attraction, and it's much closer to walk from this neighborhood to the center of town.

Palermo is a newer, more up-and-coming area, further from the center. It is fairly large and depending where you are within it, it is a fairly long walk to Recoleta and points beyond. But, taxis are plentiful and not too expensive. And there are a lot of great restaurants and shops in Palermo itself.

We stayed in Palermo and I enjoyed it, and loved the hotel itself (the Glu). But we did use taxis most days, unlike other cities where we tend to walk everywhere. Getting to San Telmo, Puerto Madera, Casa Rosada etc. was just too far to walk (and I wouldn't walk thru La Boca to get to El Caminito anyway).

If I went back to BA, I might think about giving Recoleta a try just because we didn't see much of it the first time, but I also would be tempted to stay at the Glu again. It kind of depends on what sort of atmosphere you want.

Level Contributor
1,799 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recoleta or Palermo

Recoleta is my preference but I usually stay with friends in Palermo. Both neighborhoods are nice. Recoleta reminds me of Paris or even parts of Madrid.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,007 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recoleta or Palermo

The Palermos can be confusing .. there is Palermo Botanico, which is next to Recoleta, you can walk from one to the other.

A large beautiful barrio with parks, shops , schools and malls etc.

Palermo Viejo/Soho is not new at all, but has undergone a huge renovation/renewal over the past few years, making it more trendy. A lot of arty young/old people have moved in and it has a great vibe for shopping, eating and hanging out.

Except for walking from Soho to Botanico, you pretty much have to take a taxi from Palermo Soho to the rest of town..

As ricardo says, Recoleta is pretty central, it has a number of huge parks, museums and the Cemetery and ferias on weekends, plus some very nice hotels, restaurants and it is pretty :)

( I live in Recoleta and I am trying not to be prejudiced in my views :)

If you are good at taking buses and subways, or like me, taking taxis and walking, you can get anywhere in town easily and pretty cheaply.

You can make an itinerary for yourself, picking a barrio or two a day.

San Telmo/Puerto Madero would be one, Palermo Soho etc another..

You don't want to miss Belgrano and Chinatown on Sundays, ferias on weekends, so you will be all over town and you will enjoy it, I promise :)

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Recoleta or Palermo

Here's another perspective - Recoleta is everything the others have commented on. However, there really isn't anything completely unique about it that speaks to the city's history or separates it from any other large metro area. Yes, yes, if you know your history and really look deep, its there, but it doesn't pop out on your first visit. It is a bunch of very large buildings and impressive old mansions. But Recoleta isn't that much different from Retiro or other parts of the inner city - except it is wealthier and more posh.

Palermo SoHo, on the other hand, with its cobble-stoned streets, one and two story buildings, old streetlights, quaint mom-and-pop shops mixed in with more trendy, bohemian shops, street grafitti, family-style parrillas and the overall working-class vibe, is a unique and total cultural immersion for first-timers (imho) that evokes Eva Peron and the struggle of the masses back in the day - in other words, history. A city, a culture.

While I myself would rather stay at the Alvear Palace Hotel or anywhere in the Recoleta/Barrio Norte neighborhoods now that I've been to the city over half a dozen times, I tell all friends who plan their first trip to BsAs to stay in Palermo SoHo, get to know Palermo Hollywood and Villa Crespo and drink in the atmosphere, as it will definitely put you in a whole new latitude from wherever you journey from. After all, the best trips I've ever taken are the ones where I feel I have traveled the farthest, if you know what I mean.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,007 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recoleta or Palermo

Unique like Recoleta Cemetery, The oldest church in South America, Pilar, the Palais de Glace which was built for ice skating before becoming a museum, the Belle Artes Museum , the parks .. the architecture , the National Library ?

We live in Recoleta, I love going all over town every day, we walk most times.

After having seen the requisite tourist sites, a person can learn a lot about the city by walking and visiting as many of the neighborhoods as possible.

So really, wherever you stay, you will be walking and taking buses,taxis to other areas to see as much of BA as possible.

Staying in places like Las Canitas/Belgrano or San Telmo can be limiting because you need to take a longer taxi/bus ride to get to the other areas, but from Palermo Botanico or Recoleta, you can walk Everywhere.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
696 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recoleta or Palermo

Have been to BA on 3 extensive trips and coming back for a 4th.

Palermo Botanico/Palermo Chico is "home" for us. Wouldn't stay anywhere else. It is SO easy to get anywhere from there.

Cheers.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,007 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recoleta or Palermo

morewierd, we were walking in Barrio Parque yesterday, wandering into Palermo Chico from there ... every time we walk through there, I say the same thing... how much can we sell our apt for ? can we buy just a teeny tiny house here ? :)

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
710 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recoleta or Palermo

How long & how much for a taxi from one to the other

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recoleta or Palermo

I would estimate about 30 pesos and 20 minutes as an average.