We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best restaurants in BA

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
The best restaurants in BA

The Trip Advisor staff has kindly agreed to "stick" a thread on Dining in BA, so that our recommendations won't simply disappear as new threads come along. Theoretically, No more "use the search under the green bar" posts will be necessary.

What I would like to do with this thread is to start a list of great restaurant experiences you have had during your stay in Buenos Aires. It would be good if we could agree to use a common format, beginning with the name of the restaurant, its street address (with cross streets, if possible), local phone, the zone in which the restaurant is located, and type of cuisine served in the restaurant.

Please comment on these four dimensions -- atmosphere, quality of food quality of service, and price per person, listing price of wine seperately.

Ok, here we go....

Special Offer
Buenos Aires Super Saver: City...
132 reviews
from US$135.58*
US$152.63
Iguazu Falls Private Day Trip from...
5 reviews
from US$1,098.00*
Full Day Tour at a Farm in San...
55 reviews
from US$170.00*
Small-Group City Tour of Buenos Aires
180 reviews
from US$35.00*
291 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
221. Re: The best restaurants in BA

La Brigade at San Telmo was the best parilla I went to, in the 6 days I was in wonderful BA. Out of this world

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
222. Re: The best restaurants in BA

Best place that I ate while in BA was Las Cabras in Palermo. I think hands down it was the best meat that I ate! The good thing about it too is that it is full of locals, so you know it's the best :)

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,567 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
223. Re: The best restaurants in BA

Could that be "La Cabrera", Taylor M?

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
224. Re: The best restaurants in BA

Or, it could be las Cabras.....where, interestingly enough, the specialty is not cabrito but cerdo....at least according to the reviews.

guiaoleo.com.ar/restaurantes/Las-Cabras-3901

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
225. Re: The best restaurants in BA

No it's called Las Cabras, but I know the one you are talking about too Verobaires, they are different restaurants though, but they are actually fairly close to eachother, Las Cabras is on Fitz Roy though :)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
94 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
226. Re: The best restaurants in BA

MY LIST:

guiaoleo.com.ar/restaurantes/El-Pobre-Luis-4…

guiaoleo.com.ar/restaurantes/Pipi-Cucu-3829

www.guiaoleo.com.ar/restaurantes/Sucre-208

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
227. Re: The best restaurants in BA

Hi Shoam! Thanks for the list, I am going to have to check these ones out! I'll let you know what I think once I try them out!

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
228. Re: The best restaurants in BA

Just on the way home from a return (10th time) visit to BsAs and wanted to give a quick recap of restaurant faves, before posting a more substantive TR to the general forum:

Bobo Hotel Restaurant – this little spot is excellent – tucked away in the ground floor of the Bobo Hotel in Palermo SoHo. One of our favorite spots for lunch. Great starters, mains and deserts. Great service and a respectable wine list. Also of note in the Palermo SoHo area is Nos Armours; you have to cross over Scalabrini Ortiz, its one block past and on Goritti. Amours is a rustic little French-inspired gemstone that serves up really fantastic artisanal goodies. We spent over 2 hours eating through their menu one afternoon – quite nice. Don’t forget El Trapiche as a go-to parilla; just across the train tracks into Hollywood – if memory serves, it’s on Guatemala (haven’t been there in 2 years, but always have had great pork chops and homemade applesauce when wanting an inexpensive belly bomb).

High end scene – Hernan Gipponi and Tarquino were both fabulous. Tarquino is my new best of the best in the city (followed by Tomo 1, Purra Tierra, Sucre (yes, yes, I know what you are going to say, but let me tell you something about having fun at dinner . . . it’s not only about the food (although that’s a big part), but the atmosphere, ambiance, bar, etc. Check out Sucre on a Friday night and experience the real Portenos night scene), Oviedo (incredible), and Filo (perennial favorite for the best pizza in the city).

Anyway, Tarquino is rather expensive, but one of the best places I’ve ever eaten in. The chef did a couple of stints at El Bulli (former #1 restaurant in the world for a few years running) – it was a great dining experience and I’ll write more about it on the forum after I’m home and have gone over my notes.

Eat well. Don’t be afraid to go into the numerous “no-name” little parilla’s that you see the locals having lunch or dinner at – if you have the basics of Spanish or can just point and fake it, you’ll get great food at ridiculously inexpensive prices compared to the more well-know joints.

Eat well! Travel safe!

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
229. Re: The best restaurants in BA

I think the best parrilla around is El Mirasol de la Recova. It's a bit pricier than most parrillas, but I've been there a bunch of times now and every time the steak is cooked perfectly just how you ask for it, which is pretty remarkable since Argentines are still known for occasionally nuking a nice piece of meat. Amazing sides, and the mollejas(sweetbreads) are out of this world good.

For a tasting menu place, me and my friends favorites are Paraje Arevalo and El Baqeuano. We probably go every few months and they consistently hit the spot and amaze with a good few of their dishes.

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
230. Re: The best restaurants in BA

Full review of recent trip:

Hernan Gipponi Restaurant | Soler 5862, Hotel Fierro | Well, let’s not mince words . . . this is a formidable little restaurant we’d heard nothing but good things about. Focused, poised, with presentation skills that separate the men from the boys. Hernan cut his teeth in Europe at both the Guggenheim Bilbao and Quique Dacosta’s El Poblet restaurant. Everything – food, wine, service, atmosphere, noise level – was near perfection. Yes, rather expensive, but for that special occasion you cannot go wrong with the degustation and wine pairing menu. The seared fish had the slightest of crunches, then melted on the tongue. The lamb, with just a whisper of fresh fig, was a singular delight – crawl under the table and go to sleep goodness. Dessert to die for! I could go on and on about all the wonderful little treats that are in store for you – rather, just let me say this - get there if you can.

BoBo Hotel | Guatemala 4870| It had been a few years since we’d visited this special little restaurant, tucked inside one of the best B & B’s in the neighborhood. Perhaps the most civilized place to enjoy lunch in all of BsAs (with all due deference to the wonderful outdoor Summerterrace Mallorca at the Melia Hotel in Recoleta). There is a calmness and sophistication about this venue in Palermo SoHo and if you arrive in the right frame of mind (a pleasant demeanor is so important culturally – just the acknowledgement that you are visitors and greeting people with a simple, ‘Hola, buenos dias’ will pay huge dividends), its as welcoming as any establishment you’ll enter in this great metropolis. A laid back oasis that bespokes the need for a relaxing repast; perhaps the shrimp cerviche with passion fruit or grilled octopus and baby squid to get you started. The fresh lemonade (playfully infused with carbonated water and a hint of passion fruit) alone is reason enough to book airfare and hotel as soon as you finish this TR. Just sit back and enjoy great service, great food, and a pleasurable respite from the rigors of the day. (Hey, being a tourist can be a grueling enterprise!)

Filo | San Martín 975 | Okay, okay – yes, I make a pit stop here nearly every time I visit the city – but (IMHO) frequenting an establishment in a city so diverse in Italian restaurants just means they’re doing everything right. Similar in quality to Sotto Voce, Amici Miei, Sette Baco and Bella Italia – just not as expensive. IMHO, you just can’t get better pizza anywhere in Argentina. When you visit Plaza San Martin – which you definitely should, as well as the art galleries and leather/garment shops in and around barrio Retiro – do yourself a favor, stop by Filo and grab a table or sit at the bar and order the Ensalada Gigi and Pizza Alla Giani. Trust me on this! An eclectic, fun place to chow down. Most highly recommended.

Lo de Paka | Avenida Congreso 2011 | LdP has been on our radar for a few years now and anna00747 always comments on the scrumptious pollo a la parilla they serve up. I have to agree, they do it right at this fun Belgrano enclave. This is a very reasonably priced joint that serves up good eats day in and day out. Definitely call ahead for evening reservations – I’ve been shut out the last few trips just showing up late night, only to find out the chances of scoring a 6 top were somewhere between slim and none. We finally had friends in the neighborhood book a table and join us for dinner, and we were rewarded with a most excellent dining experience. Highlights for me were the mollejas (sweetbreads), thin-skinned empanadas (some of the best in the city), lamb and fries. Basically, as good as it gets in BsAs when it comes to a neighborhood parilla.

Side note on fries/frites in BsAs – it seems to me that there is an Argentinean tradition to serve fries à la Provenzal – either tossed with garlic, salt and parsley, or with what passes locally as chimichurri – either way, I can’t remember not having fries prepared this way in any parilla in the city. One of the local foodie traditions that I never get tired of. Finger lickin’ good!

Side note on pork belly – finally, I’m seeing pork belly featured on some menus. That’s a really good trend that I hope continues to grow. I had a great pork belly hash (with the requisite floating sunny-side-up egg) at a no-name joint out in barrio Flores one late morning – just a pit-stop to grab a bite while waiting on local friends to get cleaned up and ready for a busy day playing tourists with us - but awfully memorable in hindsight. My new motto for BsAs – “más cerdo vientre, por favor”

A Nos Amours | Gorriti 4488 | We were trying to find a small arcade we had stumbled into years ago – mainly to see if we could reconnect with their 6-lane electric slot-car track we had a blast at one fuzzy afterhours morning long ago. We eventually found it. Up a few blocks on Scalabrini Ortiz past Cordoba . . . but that’s another story for another time. Anyway, we recalled this excellent French bistro that friends who live in the neighborhood took us to years ago. This quaint little gem offers a selection of organic, artisanal goodies and, while unassuming and low-key, I can’t think of a better way to while away a few hours just a stone’s throw from the helter-skelter that can be Palermo SoHo on Saturday afternoons or Friday nights. Do not be put off by the humble surroundings; this is really some of the best French-influenced food I’ve had in BsAs. This is as close to what I was raised on and personally cook as anything in the city and we highly recommend it – get there if you can. Side note - kudos to the chef/owner for being attentive, without crossing that fine line into intrusiveness.

Tarquino | Rodriguez Pena 1967 | This is a truly inspired creation from wunderkind chef Dante Liporace, who has brought back a treasure trove of training, experience and talent from his journey’s in Europe; most notably, a couple of stints at El Bulli. Along with some other Argentinean talents who have traveled the world perfecting their culinary skills, Dante has come home and elevated expectations within the city’s diverse dining community. We dined here twice, once in the afternoon and once for dinner. Granted, this is a rather expensive outing and weekend prime-time evening service tables are difficult to score, but I guarantee you will come away, as did we, shaking your head and grinning like the Cheshire cat. The atmosphere is sophisticated and the dining room is spectacular. From exquisite chunks of sucking pig, served with an onion compote and orange puree, to the prized goatling meat served with roasted peppers, fried egg foam and a chickpea puree, Dante creates a succession of scents, flavors, textures and temperatures – we tried so many courses, including the mushroom soup with lamb meatballs, chinchulines and sweetbreads, and an exquisite black hake (not to mention the chilled treasure chest of flan with white cream for dessert, yummolicious!) – everything was superb and cooked to perfection. Attentive service and a superior wine list. Let me just say, it is one of the finest places I’ve ever eaten at and leave it at that. My new best of the best in the city. Get there if you can.

Finally, a quick tip o’ the hat to the Mio Lounge – a sophisticated bar and lounge that serves up a great breakfast, wonderful afternoon tea, and might just have replaced the Alvear Palace Hotel lobby bar as our go-to pre-dinner cocktail environ.

Reply to: The best restaurants in BA
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted