We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any tips on booking a flight out of Buenos Aires to Lima?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
275 posts
175 reviews
Save Topic
Any tips on booking a flight out of Buenos Aires to Lima?

Flights on LAN are 900 bucks round trip or 1000+ for one way!

Are there any travel agents or other ways to book a more reasonable fare to get from Buenos Aires to Lima? I think I must be missing something!

Mentioned in this post
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
12,093 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any tips on booking a flight out of Buenos Aires to Lima?

The best fares are available at www.expedia.com there are few airlines in South America so fares are high

Mentioned in this post
Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,693 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any tips on booking a flight out of Buenos Aires to Lima?

Also, are you by any chance trying to book tickets during the month of July? That's high season (winter vacation time).

Lan has fares as low as 400 US for round trips to Lima ... in June.

Another option: you could check Sky Airlines. They are usually cheaper.

Mentioned in this post
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,484 posts
768 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any tips on booking a flight out of Buenos Aires to Lima?

Flights within South America are typically always fairly expensive. I've flown to Lima several times for business and always taken LAN. They are really great and the flights have always been on time. Great and friendly staff, clean and modern planes and uneventful flights.

But the fares were always around $400 to $600 or so. Unless you are getting some super discounted fair it's always fairly expensive.

Mentioned in this post
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
275 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any tips on booking a flight out of Buenos Aires to Lima?

I understand that they will be expensive, but over 900 dollars seems pretty outrageous. I'm just hoping I'm not missing something crazy obvious about getting a good fare on LAN or another airline.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,484 posts
768 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any tips on booking a flight out of Buenos Aires to Lima?

$900. Wow, that is very expensive. I've gone to Lima many many times and never paid over $600. Even for relatively last minute tickets. That's a very expensive rate.

Mentioned in this post
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any tips on booking a flight out of Buenos Aires to Lima?

Hi,

I also nearly had a heart attack when I saw prices, it was more expensive to fly from Lima to Rio de Janeiro (and Buenos Aires was not much cheaper), then my flights, return, Sydney -> BA!

But, thankfully, I had a wonderful friend recommend me a great site, www.despegar.com. I found return flights Lima - Buenos Aires for about $400 per person. Be warned, the site is in Spanish, but if you know even basic Spanish (or probably none at all) it shouldn't be too hard to navigate.

Flights are expensive, unfortunately. Even flights within countries are quite pricey, especially as non-Argentinians pay almost twice as much as Argentines do. It's sort of just something you have to accept, I've found.

Also a tip - I have found that round trip tickets (Ida y vuelta) are not much more expensive than one way tickets. It has been cheaper for me to base myself in BA, then fly from place to place, then fly point to point.

I hope that helps! You might like to try the Peru Couchsurfing forums, they are super helpful and gave me heaps of great tips for finding good deals etc.

Edited: 29 May 2012, 16:35
Mentioned in this post
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
7. Re: Any tips on booking a flight out of Buenos Aires to Lima?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 13:15