We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to Colonia

usa
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry to Colonia

Hi,

Is the place where we take the ferry to Colonia in a good (safe) neighborhood? Or do I need to keep watching my back?

Thanks

1. Re: Ferry to Colonia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2012, 13:33
Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry to Colonia

Colonia is a tiny place, very comfortable to walk around and in my modest opinion you do not need a guide or a tour. Buy your tickets in Buquebus or Colonia Express and that is all you need. Buquebus uses a very comfortable port, close to the center and completely safe. Colonia Express is a bit on a side, but quite cheaper. Both services are good and both take one hour for the trip. Just make sure you are using the fast ferry, because the slow one will stay in the river for three hours.

Have a great trip!

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
30 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry to Colonia

Hi, Colonia is a very safe place, people is very kind and use to be in contact with tourists. You can see the old city in an afternoon, hope you get a sunny day. Dont miss Calle de los Suspiros, a cobbled stone street in the heart of the old city. Enjoy Uruguay!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry to Colonia

I think the OP means the ferry port in BA and if so yes it's safe you go directly to the departures check in and board the ferry.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry to Colonia

Its safe, No problem. Just use common sense., as you would in the US cities etc. See my other post re combining a horseride with a Colonia tour. I think it makes for a really great day. Colonia by itself is well worth a vist but combining it with a ride in the country was better for me. The Uruguay ride requires you to have been on a horse before though, though you can just walk or trot . They take out 2 guides, one for those who can really ride and one for those who just want to take in the beautiful surroundings.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry to Colonia

I just would warn you that though the Colonia Express is much, much cheaper than Buquebus, their boats are very small and they can rock a lot and provoke sea sickness. If you take the Colonia Express, do not hang out outside their dock, it is a shady neighborhood, which is not the case for Buquebus. On the other hand DO NOT buy Buquebus service on the boat called "Eladia Isabel" as it takes four hours just to get to Colonia instead of the normal 45/50 minutes the other boats take.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry to Colonia

gmokatz makes a great point. I can recommend the larger Buquebus service. It is so smooth, you hardly know you are moving. Very comfortable service. The area around terminal seemed fine. Good duty free shopping on board, which charges in US dollars. Bought a lot of Clinique product for my wife and daughter. Much cheaper prices than Australia

8. Re: Ferry to Colonia

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2012, 17:06
9. Re: Ferry to Colonia

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 23 July 2013, 10:15