We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 days in Argentina add-on

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
72 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
11 days in Argentina add-on

Just left message for 2 female teachers traveling over Christmas to Argentina, asking for suggested Itinerary and how-to. Out side of Buenos Aries, my fellow traveler wants most to go to Patagonia and see the penguins. Cost is a factor, so help with flights and to where is appreciated.

Thanks

Eileen

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 11 days in Argentina add-on

Flights within Argentina are limited due to the lack of airline companies. Have a look at www.expedia.com,www,lan.com,www.aerolineas.com,www.andesonline.com for flights within Argentina. Flights are expensive.

Alternatives are bus travel, but it looks like you have limited time so this could eat into your sightseeing time. www.plataforma10.com for bus schedules. Bus schedules are published 30-60 days in advance so if checking for schedules then put in a date closer to today.

The closest place for the penquins is Puerto Madryn from Buenos Aires and the largest rookery in South America.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
763 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 11 days in Argentina add-on

Hola Eileen!

It is great to hear you are interested in visiting Argentina!

As Ricardo suggested, bus is a way to save some money.

To see pinguins the nearest is to go by bus to Puerto Madryn.

This are about 17 hours- but animal life in this enviroment is amazing- not just pinguins also sea lions and hundreds of differnt birds. Until december you even can get to see the whales. Amazing.

You could stay here three days, and then fly to Bariloche (or the other way round), visit the amazing Lake District, and finally go back to Buenos Aires by bus (18 hours).

I think this would be a good option combining wild life, pinguins you want to see and a little of the Lake District, one of the most beautiful areas of Patagonia, without getting too far, and avoiding as many flights as possible.

I hope it helps!

Have a lovely trip!!

Veronica

Say Hueque Tours

Boston
Level Contributor
72 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 11 days in Argentina add-on

Thanks so much. Now looking into all of your suggestions, especially Bariloche. Once there, I assume there are bus or other options to get around.

Eileen

Boston
Level Contributor
72 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 11 days in Argentina add-on

Thanks. I will get the good and bad (costs) flight news from the sites you suggested.

Eileen

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 11 days in Argentina add-on

Have a look at www.interpatagonia.com for more details on Bariloche.

While there is bus travel in the lake region, the best way to experience this area is by car. The drives are lovely and since you have your own car then you can stop and enjoy each area.

Also, the lake cruises are a good experience.

6. Re: 11 days in Argentina add-on

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2013, 10:17