We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying SIM card for international calls in BsAs

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
78 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Buying SIM card for international calls in BsAs

Hi friends,

I'm coing to Argentina in a week.

Do you have a suggestion/recommendation where can I buy a local SIM card to be used for international calls/data?

I will have 2 days in BsAs (Saturday and Sunday) before leaving to Iguazu.

What is a reasonable rate?

THANKS!!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
36 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying SIM card for international calls in BsAs

It would be great if someone could answer this for you because I spent hours yesterday trying to find a provider who would allow me to purchase such a card... And once I finally did (from the company Personal), it doesn't work. Very frustrating.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
20 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying SIM card for international calls in BsAs

Joining to the question. . . .

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,876 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying SIM card for international calls in BsAs

I used the TripAdvisor Search and put in Sim cards and got a lot of answers maybe this will help you.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312741-i979-k4344…

São Paulo, Brasil
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying SIM card for international calls in BsAs

hi, two options:

1) go to a movistar store and tell you want a "prepago" card. they'll give you an extensive checklist to fill and scan your passport a dozen times. after 1 hour, you have an prepaid argentine number on your name

2) drop by retiro station and talk(in spanish) to the guys running stands outside the train station - they have dozens of sim cards that come without credit, already activated. you can go to a "Kiosco" to buy prepaid topups or topup by credit card, it's secure.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
548 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying SIM card for international calls in BsAs

Frankly, If I was you......I'd forget about a SIM card and just use a local locoturio to make calls.

We bought a Moviestar SIM card in 2011 and it seemed to work fine....this year: it's a pain in the you know what.

Would NOT use a Moviestar SIM card on our next stay.......and YES......be prepared to make a morning or afternoon of it to purchase the thing.

Cheers.

São Paulo, Brasil
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying SIM card for international calls in BsAs

I forgot to mention - The MOVISTAR sim card is good for data and local calls.

For International calls, use movistar data + Skype on a smartphone...

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying SIM card for international calls in BsAs

The São Paulo writer is absolutely correct. Let me clarify for overseas visitors:

If you wanted, you could go to the Movistar store (Movistar is a leading Argentine cellular phone service). We did, and if you're foolish enough to do it too, they'll make you jump through all manner of elaborate hoops, just like the credit department might if you were applying for land line service in North America. They took about a dozen copies of my passport too! I'm glad I didn't have a firstborn with me, because they might have insisted on keeping the child as collateral!

Only after we'd done all this did we find out that there's a much easier way. All around Buenos Aires are newspaper vendors and kiosks ("kiosco" in Spanish, always pronounced "kee OH co" by the Argentines). For reasons I don't fully understand, these kiosks are able to sell exactly the same Movistar or other SIM cards with absolutely none of the red tape that Movistar insists upon. You pay the modest price for a pay-as-you-go card, as you might in Europe or Asia, and he hands the product to you!

It may help to be fluent in Spanish, but it's not difficult to say "SIM card" as you hold out your phone with the back opened up. If the guy sells SIM cards, he'll catch on quickly.

If you ask nicely, he may help you put the card in, explain what number you call to switch the info to English, and how to recharge. But you can do all this later if you need to. Hotel people, restaurant waiters and most anybody there with his own cell phone knows.

I don't agree with the suggestion to rely on pay phones. The trouble with pay phones is that they're never there when you need one and, like home, there's getting to be fewer and fewer of them left. I use a cell phone for making hotel reservations from the road and calling to find out about events. If I forget something important when I leave the hotel, they can call me right away if I left my cell number when I checked in. If there's an emergency, I may have to call 101 (What's the number for 9-1-1? In Argentina, 1-0-1) or the English-speaking Tourist Police: 0800-999-5000. It's a lot easier to make an emergency call when you have a working phone.

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,206 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying SIM card for international calls in BsAs

The OP is in Buenos Aires for 2 days only.

I understood that Kioskos only refilled SIM cards that had already been issued by Moviestar or another co.

9. Re: Buying SIM card for international calls in BsAs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 07:15