We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upcoming trip

Cave Creek, Arizona
Level Contributor
36 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Upcoming trip

Now that we've purchased our air tickets (for travel at the end of Nov 2012), need some help completing the in-betweens of our multi-city itinerary. Here is a quick glance of our tentative route along with time frames for each city. If you think in certain places it would be best to rent a car, take a taxi, take the bus or hire a driver, please advise. Recommendations on any tour companies, historic sites, live music, museums and any must see attractions would be extremely helpful. Thanks much!!!

Buenos Aires for 2 nights (staying in the Puerto Madero district)

Ushuaia for 4 nights

-Tierra del Fuego Park, Beagle Channel

El Calafete for 5 nights

-Parks de Glaciers, El Chalten, Torres del Paine

Buenos Aires for 1 night (just a quick stop before our flt to Iguazu)

Iguazu for 3 nights (staying at the Sheraton)

-plan to visit the Brazilian side

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upcoming trip

I have a few comments, that may help you.

Puerto Madero district, is a fine place to stay, but it is certainly not the heart of things. For this you would have to stay in the Recoleta district. Puerto Madero is safe, plenty of restaurants to choose from, some good Hotels,(not all) a very different experience from staying in other areas. Great for some, but as a tourist you will have to take a taxi to go to areas of interest, just something to keep in mind or even to a store to purchase some last minute incidentals. You will be struggling to do El Calafate, El Chalten and Torres del Paine in 5 nights. It is certainly doable, but just be aware of the large distances between these centers. El Calafate is a three hour drive to El Chalten, but a much longer drive from El Calafate to Torres del Paine. I would stay 2 nights in Iguazu (three days) and tag on one more day for the El Calafate trip if possible, this will allow you to stay at Torres del Paine rather than just do it as a one day huge excursion..

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,974 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upcoming trip

I agree with anna ( as usual).. Puerto Madero is good for a few hours or dinner and a walk but not to base yourself when staying in BA.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
765 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upcoming trip

Hola Pallet,

I hope to help!!

Here it goes;

Buenos Aires for 2 nights- I would suggest as the others to stay in other place. Probably Recoleta or San Telmo would be good options.

Arrival and go out to explore. I would suggest to take a city tour, to learn more of the city and get to see most of its highlights on the first day. Then on the next day you can go back to the places you liked the most.

Ushuaia for 4 nights-

1st day arrival

2nd day Pinguin Colony

3rd day National Park

4th day- Beagle Channel + visit Prisioner's Museum

El Calafete for 5 nights

1 arrival and Laguna Nimez

2 Perito Moreno

3 Torres del Paine

4. Back to Calafate

5 El Chalten (overnight in El Chalten)

6 Take the bus with dropp off at the airport

Buenos Aires for 1 night (just a quick stop before our flt to Iguazu)

Iguazu for 3 nights (staying at the Sheraton)

Argentina side

Brazilian side (+ Birds park)

Walk to hito 3 fronteras, have a beer in the market, enjoy the hummingbirds garden.

Take care, and have fun!!

Veronica

Say Hueque Tours

Cave Creek, Arizona
Level Contributor
36 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upcoming trip

Thank you everyone for all your input.

I realize we aren't in the most idea place in BA however its a few nights free on the company dime so hence the stay in PM district.

We purchased the LAN pass and were limited on the flight dates (at the time we booked) but we are still trying to add that extra day for El Calefete so we can see Torres del Paine without being rushed, hopefully we can take a night away on the Iguazu portion.

I was trying to find flights from El Calefete to Torres del Paine but realized we would have to take a few flights to get there, no direct flights and looked like a bus tour was the best way to get there- or would it be best if we rented a car during that time?

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,974 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upcoming trip

If it is free then it is a magnificent place to stay lol ...

Bus tours take forever, the distances here are mind boggling and I would never recommend renting a car and driving a long distance here.

Are you fluent in Spanish?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upcoming trip

There are buses from El Calafate to Torres del Paine and return ones also. Chalten Travel in El Calafate also have organized tours and on certain days have a one way drop off or pick up. You can rent a car, but you have to specify that you will be taking it over the border, and there are some costs and paperwork involved. It does however give you more flexibility. Puerto Madero will be fine for you I am sure, it is a pretty, safe and good area.

Cave Creek, Arizona
Level Contributor
36 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upcoming trip

I do not speak fluent Spanish unfortunately, I can understand a whole lot more than I can speak it- I've been practicing as much as possible though!

I figured as much about the bus tours but that seems to be the better option than the rental car.

Can you recommend any bus tours or other routes that are non-tour related?

8. Re: Upcoming trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 06:17