We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasons not to go to Buenos Aires over Xmas

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
865 posts
286 reviews
Save Topic
Reasons not to go to Buenos Aires over Xmas

My wife and I found direct flights from Miami for 1300 which I believe to be reasonable. We would go for about ten days. We would leave on the 24th of December and return on the second of January. It sounds like most tourist sights will be closed on Xmas, and New Years, but will restaurants be open? Are hotels much more expensive during the holidays. Will I get the real feel of the city, or will it feel like a ghost town just full of tourists? Any input would be of great help. Thanks

Buenos Aires Free Walks
Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Camino Pampa
Private Tours, Horseback Riding Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Las Superguias Tours Zoo Lujan
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Buenos Aires Off the Beaten Path Tours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasons not to go to Buenos Aires over Xmas

Hotels are not usually more expensive during the Christmas Holidays but it is high season (tourist season) in Argentina so there are not too many bargains around. I personally do not like Buenos Aires at this time because it does not have its usual busy, buzzy, noisy vibe. Some people do like it because it is quieter. Some Restaurants will be open, but if you choose to travel book your christmas lunch or dinner in advance. The major Hotels of course are all open for business. It is not a time to skimp on a Hotel in my opinion, you need a good Hotel with good Restaurant options. If you are going further afield i.e El Calafate, Bariloche, etc. it is certainly a good time for these places.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,223 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasons not to go to Buenos Aires over Xmas

It is definitely quiet.

But once or twice a year, it is nice to have some quiet :)

I take off with my husband and my camera and just walk. It is such a beautiful city, the little hidden streets and beautiful architecture make it a treat to be able to walk and sightsee without the millions of cars and people and all that noise.

Christmas night people will trickle back out, after celebrating with families, by the day after, it will be normal again.

I never really notice when there are tourists around me or locals .. It is never really a ghost town, not with all the people that live here :)

And there are fireworks .. you can sit in the park and watch them or perhaps from your balcony/hotel/rental.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
865 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasons not to go to Buenos Aires over Xmas

thanks for the the helpful info

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reasons not to go to Buenos Aires over Xmas

My girl friend and I were there at Christmas time one year and the weather was hot hot hot.

You'll have a wonderful time!

5. Re: Reasons not to go to Buenos Aires over Xmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 04:17