We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We want to explore suburbs of Buenos Aires

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
64 posts
273 reviews
Save Topic
We want to explore suburbs of Buenos Aires

We would like to explore some nice suburbs of Buenos Aires. Does anyone have any suggestions? We have seen the Tigre Delta and loved it. We enjoy shopping, seeing interesting architecture, museums, and good restaurants. They don't have to be fancy, just tasty. If we can take a train or subway that would be great. If not, we could hire a remise for a day and travel a bit farther.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We want to explore suburbs of Buenos Aires

I am imagining that you already have explored some of the most well known suburbs for tourists to visit. Puerto Madero, Palermo, San Telmo, La Boca, Recoleta, Centro (cbd) Retiro and Monserrat. If not I certainly would suggest all of the above. On the way out to the Tigre Delta you would have probably passed by Martinez and San Isidro in the Zona Norte. These suburbs have a mixture of shopping, some really lovely old and new houses, restaurants and stretch right down to the river front. There is an important race course in San Isidro, and it is interesting to visit if there are races going on. http://www.hipodromosanisidro.com/ There are very good local restaurants, from very simple ones to very fancy ones. Interesting architecture as well. Plaza Mitre, has a neo-gothic San Isidro cathedral . The plaza, is also home to a Rugby Museum. There is also an antiques and crafts fair .

Belgrano is another very well established residential suburb comprising several different areas, some shopping, some good apartment buildings, some very beautiful old houses from the last centuries as well as the current one. Architecturally very interesting and varied. Excellent restaurants, in fact so many to choose from it will be a hard decision to choose just one. I personally like a parrilla in this suburb called Lo de Paka, but there are endless great restaurants at better prices than in the "tourist" suburbs. Belgrano can be roughly divided into Belgrano R, Belgrano C, central Belgrano, and Lower Belgrano (Bajo Belgrano). I get a little confused about where one starts and finishes , but I know that Belgrano C, is Chinatown, it is small compared to many chinatowns around the world but I find it interesting. Belgrano R is a residential neighbourhood, Central Belgrano is the shopping area of Cabildo. There is a lovely park Barrancas de Belgrano . In the Plaza Manuel Belgrano, there is a local artisan fair. At the edge of this plaza is the Inmaculada Concepción church. Two museums Larreta and Sarmiento, Larreta museum has a focus on Spanish art. It also features an Andalusian garden. Sarmiento is a historical Museum and is located in what used to be the Belgrano townhall.

Lastly another suburb I like and frequent is Caballito, it is close to the City and is where some Faculties of the University of Buenos Aires are located. In Caballito there are several places of interest; the “English District” with British style architecture, the Historical Tramway museum of Buenos Aires, the old Mercado del Progreso. There is also the Church of Caacupé,. There is some really wonderful architecture, a really good student vibe, fantastic restaurants at really affordable prices. It is worth walking around, you will find some beautiful architecture, sometimes in a state of "disrepair" and sometimes beautifully restored.

Edited: 03 October 2012, 09:31
WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We want to explore suburbs of Buenos Aires

Well done, Anna. After all our visits to Belgrano (and now an anticipated visit to Caballito) you have given some structure and detail that will add to the pleasure of visiting these barrios.

Going further afield, San Antonio de Areco and the pampas is another area for the OP to consider - keeping in mind that siesta in that town is serious (that is, everything is closed) but we found this town and its environs quite charming. It is a day trip either by Remis, taxi or bus.

There is another area, with another cemetery - where, in fact Carlos Gardel and other well-known figures are buried - in Chacarita (just a bus or taxi ride away) and we enjoyed the different feel to the cemetery, the streets and the non-tourist, but good restaurants there.

What a wonderful set of choices you have......enjoy your visit, whichever you choose, and please let us know how it was.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,845 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We want to explore suburbs of Buenos Aires

In Town:

Belgrano R is worth a visit on a fine day , if you just want a quiet respite from the typical streets of the city.

Belgrano is lovely, Chinatown ( beyond the 2 blocks of shops) is nice.

We have relatives who live in Colegiales .. houses from "the old days", tree lined streets, very old world .. good for a photographer :)

By train from Retiro:

San Isidro is easy to get to and you can definitely lose yourself for a day, wandering and admiring and photographing, plus there is a race track ( on grass) and good restaurants.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
64 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We want to explore suburbs of Buenos Aires

Thank you Anna, Marnie and Scarlett. We have explored all of the close-in suburbs and Belgrano sounds like a perfect choice. In fact, we have decided to go there today! I know that we can take the subway, because I have seen a Belgrano stop listed.

Anna, it was very kind of you to take the time to give us so many details. I'm looking forward to seeing an entirely new area.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
763 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We want to explore suburbs of Buenos Aires

Great recommendations!!

I would add a couple more;

Mataderos; For its Feria on Sundays it is the kind of enviroment you will love I think. It is Gaucho's enviroment, where they sell all kind of stuff coming from the near countryside (like cheeses, honey, olive oil, leather stuff, and home made typical AR food).

Barracas; Nobody has mentioned this neighbourhood, and for me it contains one of the nicest little spots of the city; Pasaje Lanin. I like to say it is like La Boca without tourist. It has the same concept; colour can change a neighbourhood.

Have fun and enjoy!

Veronica

Say Hueque Tours

Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,543 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We want to explore suburbs of Buenos Aires

Some really good suggestions here. If you visit Barracas and Calle Lanin, be sure to stop by Marino Santa Maria's home/studio. He is the artist responsible for the colorful transformation of this street and other public places in Buenos Aires. The day I visited he was teaching a group of children to make mosaics for public areas.

Fascinating guy and Calle Lanin is a wonderful example of the effectiveness of art intervention.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,845 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We want to explore suburbs of Buenos Aires

Don't miss the Museum Larreta in Belgrano .. wonderful.

http://museos.buenosaires.gob.ar/larreta.htm

I think, technically, that these areas, Belgrano , Caballito are Buenos Aires, San Isidro etc are suburbs..

Edited: 03 October 2012, 15:58
Abilene, Texas
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
7,543 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We want to explore suburbs of Buenos Aires

I think technically all the various forty some odd neighborhoods that make up the Capital Federal are a part of the city of Buenos Aires...and towns in la Provencia are "suburbs." Technical correctness aside, exploring in town neighborhoods that are off the tourist trail can be very rewarding.

Edited: 03 October 2012, 16:15
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: We want to explore suburbs of Buenos Aires

Scarlett thank you so much for putting up the direct link to the Larreta Museum. I went on and found that they had a very comprehensive virtual tour that shows off the gardens beautifully. It also opens up to full page so you get a real feeling of being there. It is a long time since I have visited that Museum and it allowed a little nostalgia.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,845 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: We want to explore suburbs of Buenos Aires

anna, just about every time we are in Belgrano, we go to the Larreta.

The gardens are most wonderful in summer but even in winter they have their beauty. And there are never too many people there :)