We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palermo to Tigre

Saint Louis...
3 posts
Save Topic
Palermo to Tigre

I realize the train is the best way to get from Palermo to Tigre. I read there are other options besides the Retiro station. Should we avoid the Retiro station? What are the other options? Is it best to take a cab or bus early in the morning (7:00 AM)? Thank you.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,126 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palermo to Tigre

I only know the train and the station is perfectly fine.

I see no reason why you would not just take the train.

That early in the morning, what will be open in Tigre ?

Taxis and buses run that early ..

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palermo to Tigre

Jeff B.

Retiro is a very big central station and like evreywhere in the world it can be confussing and maybe unsafe.

It deppend in where in Palermo you are staying.

You can Take direct train to Tigre in "Lisandro De la torre" or "Belgrano C" stations in Palermo parks area. Or you can take train in "Carranza" to Mitre station and there combine with "Tren de la costa" .

Buses 29, 64 , 68 , 60 , 130 , 118 , 59 , 152 and Subte D will also take you from Palermo to "Belgrano C" station , close to Chinatown.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,513 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palermo to Tigre

We have taken the train to Tigre twice: once from Retiro Station and once from Belgrano C returning to Lisandro de la Torre, alewal described so well above.

I would never go to Retiro Station if there were an alternative - especially such good alternatives. It is large and confusing and not at all in a safe area. I have been in stations in NYC, in cities in Western and Eastern Europe, cities in the Middle East, etc. without concern (albeit always with care) but I was only frustrated and uncomfortable in Retiro Station. If I went with Argentine friends or family, that would be different, but as a solo or couple traveler - I would recommend the Palermo to Tigre options above.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
729 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palermo to Tigre

We take the bus #118 on Las Heras to the last stop:Barrancas de Belgrano. Cross the street.......and then take the Mitre line to the last stop: Tigre. Direct.......easy.....and even the cars on the Mitre are air-conditioned.

Have fun.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,126 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palermo to Tigre

About Retiro Train Station... if you take a taxi, he lets you out in front of the door and you walk right in. The ticket seller is there, a little to the left, not that hard to find. The train is over to the right. Anyone can tell you, they do tell you when you get the ticket.

You will be traveling with commuters and people on the way to the same destination. As the train leaves the city center, it is fun to see the areas pass by .. I was not afraid because the only thing to worry about was missing the train ( you can take a taxi so you are not trapped anywhere) and pickpockets.

We all made sure our pockets/purses were not available for picking.

easy peasy. And for those who know me, you know I am not the bravest soul in BA at times. Really it is a breeze and fast.

Moreweird... great idea.. from Belgrano .

Edited: 30 October 2012, 17:54
League City, Texas
Level Contributor
258 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Palermo to Tigre

Thanks, Scarlett, for the reassurance... I was getting a little nervous there. We, too, are considering a day trip to Tigre. If you had to pick just one, would you choose Tigre over Colonia del Sacramento for a day?

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,126 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Palermo to Tigre

They are so different !

Colonia involves more travel etc but it is delightful.

Tigre is great too :)

Read as much as you can on both and maybe something will grab you.. if not just the cost/time spent getting to each one.

Tucson,AZ, USA
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Palermo to Tigre

Colonia is a neat trip (especially if you are a desert dweller like my wife and I and love anything that moves on water); the town is a great place to visit, too.

Tigre is very different; train ride is great just to see the towns/suburbs in between BsAs and Tigre. There's also the river and some good restaurants and the town itself is a nice break from the hustle and bustle of BsAs.

We always take the train to Tigre and have never really felt threatened. Just be alert and aware of your surroundings and everything should be okay.

Enjoy! Argentina is great!

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
729 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Palermo to Tigre

Depends on HOW much time you are spending in BA. This is our 4th stint in BA and we are first going to Colonia in Dec.

I know i sound like a broken record, but if you REALLY want to get a flavor of the delta....do a day trip w/Delta Unplugged.Ana and Ralph really know how to do it right. www.delta-unplugged.com.ar. You will have an extraordinary day......learning much and eating well and taking in the peace and serenity of the delta.

Wishes for a great time: whatever you do.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,513 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Palermo to Tigre

I agree that Delta Unplugged is a wonderful way to experience the Delta; and Ralph, who is a chef, provided the very best lunch we had in Argentina (outside of friends' homes, of course). Anna knows her history and flora/fauna of the delta and between them, they make this day-long excursion totally memorable.