We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Mendoza - better from B.A. or Santiago by bus?

Which Buenos Aires hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
9 posts
Save Topic
Going to Mendoza - better from B.A. or Santiago by bus?

We're planning a 1 month return trip from Canada to B.A. this coming March. We haven't booked our flight yet because we're deciding between flying to Santiago Chile and then taking the bus to Mendoza for 5-7 days and then a bus or flight on to Buenos Aires.

OR

Flying straight to B.A. and then flying or busing to Mendoza.

Can anyone give us any recommendations please?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
324 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Mendoza - better from B.A. or Santiago by bus?

The bus between Santiago and Mendoza is hugely more scenic than BsAs to Mendoza.. Something like 35 switchbacks up the Andes and down the other side is an incredible journey. I remember a frustratingly inefficient border crossing experience, but otherwise it was comfortable and interesting.

Taking an overnight bus between BsAs and Mendoza is not a bad option, either. There are a number of luxury coach companies that service both routes.

London, England...
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Mendoza - better from B.A. or Santiago by bus?

Santiago to Mendoza by minibus was about 6 hours ans relatively pleasant, $15 or so each.

Mendoza to Buenos Airew by bus is about 14 hours and expensive at $100 upwards. The buses can be great but the one we had was a little shabby. If you're very unlucky you can get a man snoring louder than I can talk format right opposite you! If the flight is a similar price I'd recommend taking to the skies!

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,890 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Mendoza - better from B.A. or Santiago by bus?

My vote goes to the (Andesmar) bus from Santiago to Mendoza. It's incredibly scenic as CraigandMolly have said. Figure 6 hours for travel and another hour for the border crossing.

Edited: 02 November 2012, 01:51
Canada
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Mendoza - better from B.A. or Santiago by bus?

So from what I've read and have seen posted, we should take the bus from Santiago to Mendoza and then Fly from Mendoza on to Buenos Aires

Mendoza, Argentina
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Mendoza - better from B.A. or Santiago by bus?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312781-i5017-k586…

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,890 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Mendoza - better from B.A. or Santiago by bus?

From the above link:

"The next day we ran into some Americans who had recently took the bus back from Mendoza to BA and they LOVED it for the price, comfort (seats almost 100% recline), value (movies) and service (dinner, breakfast, coffee included.)"

That was our impression too. Take the bus at night and you can actually sleep well (unlike a red eye airplane flight).

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Mendoza - better from B.A. or Santiago by bus?

You could do both by bus, we did the overnight bus from Mendoza to Ba and thought it was a very good option, it was the first time we had ever done an overnight bus trip and were dreading it but it was definitely much better than we thought it would be, you get an evening meal and breakfast, it's on the same level as airline food but it was ok, after the evening meal we played a game of bingo and they came round with sparkling wine. We did go with the most expensive class and would onlly choose this we ever did the trip again because the seats fully recline so you can get to sleep.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Mendoza - better from B.A. or Santiago by bus?

Just to add we went with Andesmar.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to Mendoza - better from B.A. or Santiago by bus?

I had exactly the same question and have found all these responses so useful!! Thanking you!!

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to Mendoza - better from B.A. or Santiago by bus?

For the next 4-6 months the Santiago to Mendoza route is closed during the day for road work thus killing the "scenic" bus option that direction (only night buses). You will have to do it the other direction for the scenic day bus trip.