We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feria Masticar

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
746 reviews
Save Topic
Feria Masticar

Reluctantly DH accompanied me to the Feria. When we arrived at the entrance to El Dorrego my stomach dropped. All I could think of was: ELF/DOUG......where are you when I need you???

There were Soooooooooooooooo many people, I lost my enthusiasm. However DH and I looked at one another, paid the 30 peso entrance fee each and said "What the heck" we are here. If Elf/Doug were there, he'd hold my hand and gently lead the way.

There is NO doubt that the BRAINS of this first event calculated brilliantly. It was a huge success. People from every walk of life.

The center of Masticar was the MERCADO. Whether it be olive oil/olives, meats,cheeses,veggies,fruits cold cuts ,bread,jams,sweets,etc...they were all there for purchase. I really do not know HOW much was purchased, but attendees were knee deep at each vendor.

The food stations for eating had lines that never seemed to end. If you purchased food, then you had to fight for a place to eat it. Desserts looked very appealing.......sandwiches,pasta,etc did not.

Want to attend a cooking class? get on line!

Admittedly, we arrived at around 6PM on a Saturday. I would think the best time to have arrived, would have been at noon opening. Who knows?

The best part of DH's time there was when a 3 yr. old girl came up to him and massaged his bald head!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We "supported the economy", left with 4 new shopping bags...took the bus back to Palermo Botanico and had a fabulous dinner at La Josephina on Lafinur.

Remember this: There will be many more Feria Masticar's in the years to come. The marketing is stupendous and correct.

If anyone else was there........input please. I'm not whining. Huge crowds are not my thing anymore. It was obvious that many were enjoying themselves.

CHEERS.

Parrilla Tour Buenos Aires
Cooking Classes, Food Tours, Lessons & Workshops
Tierra Negra Cooking Classes
Cooking Classes, Lessons & Workshops
El Arte de Amasar Cooking Classes
Lessons & Workshops, Cooking Classes
West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Feria Masticar

Ronnie,

I told you it was going to be a great event! I wish I would have been there and am now thinking of planning a trip to the city next year to coincide with the fair. I emailed some friends in the city and they concur with your experience - they said it was packed and lines were long, especially at some of the chef stalls. But, they also said the food was great and they picked up some choice delectables.

I'll have to check out La Josephina - both you and sockhopper say nice things about the restaurant.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
746 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feria Masticar

I could have predicted you would plan a trip here to coincide w/.next year's event.

If you were there with me I would have endured the lines for great food and choice delectables.

Have a grand week.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,564 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feria Masticar

This is so great ! I must have missed ElfDoug's earlier post about it.

I have to admit, I thought it was going to be a feria of antique CARS, LOL !

Looking forward to an opportunity to be in BsAs during a future Feria Masticar.

Thanks, moreweird and Mr. Weird.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feria Masticar

I was there and it was great! LOTS of people, so hopefully the organizers will feel encouraged to organize many more periodically. (did not have to endure the oine because I was with my kids and the organizers were nice enough to let me cut it). The small size portions were a great idea, so one could try different dishes from son many talented chefs. I tried ceviche from Sucre (ok) and a fish sanduiche from Francis Mallman (very tasty, wanted a huge on!).

I took many pictures and will post on my blog soon (http://sclusivo.blogspot.com).

Reminded me of Mercado de San Miguel in Madrid

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Nice
Level Contributor
3,555 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feria Masticar

That’s great, ‘morewierd’ that you got to this first “chewing” feria. I’ve got to go to this.

The links below talk about the cooking classes, name the chefs and their restaurants, and mention discussions by or with chefs on food-related issues.

viagourmet.com/content/feria-masticar-en-bue…

http://www.feriamasticar.com.ar/#

ElfDoug,

So that people don't end up at the wrong “Josephina”, there are 3 different ones in BA:

-"La Josefina" at Lafinur 306 - elegant parilla where 'moreweird' had a fabulous meal;

-"Cafe Josephina": Guido 1534 at Talcahuana - my 'go to' place for observing BA's aristocracy with their families and friends, for eating crepes in leek sauce, for the best liquados; and

-"Josefina" at Malabia 201: a more rustic place serving cocina variada.

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feria Masticar

It WAS a very good fair because of the quality of the chefs that participated in it, many of our most important chefs like Donato De Santis, Maru Botana ( Nucha ), Francis Mallmann, Narda Lepes, Dolli, among others.

But,, yes,, you'll never be alone in these fairs in BA !! There will be hundreds of people,,, that's the negative side of this coin...

You'll be more or less comfortable depending on the size of the place,,,the same happens with my loved "Book's Fair",, fortunately La Rural is a huge place,, but anyway,, there're always queues for everything...

Anyway, I really love that BA has this kind of events

Cheers

Silvia

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Feria Masticar

Today's La Nacion has a nice article and video about la feria which I enclose below. Lordy I wish I was there for it.

revistamaru.com/1528351-como-fue-masticar-ba…

Edited: 20 November 2012, 13:23
Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
746 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Feria Masticar

Sockhopper: Thanks for correcting my spelling....and if anyone is interested the address is 3006 Lafinur.

Didn't realize there were 3 Josef(ph)ina's in town...will try to check out your rec.

What problems we have.LOL

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Feria Masticar

Just posted comments and some pics of Feria Masticar in my blog:

…blogspot.com.ar/2012/11/feria-masticar-diar…

More to come!

Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Feria Masticar

There is so much to learn. Now I am curious about "cavqueva". What kind of food is it and where is the "quebrada"? It amazes me. Thanks for your beautiful blog Paula G.

Cheers!