We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How important is it to include a Sunday in B.A on our visit?

NYC
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Topic
How important is it to include a Sunday in B.A on our visit?

Husband and I are making our first trip to B.A in mid-late December. Probably 6-7 days...Arriving AM on Sunday, Dec. 16 or Monday, Dec. 17 and departing AM Sat., Dec 22 or 11pm Sunday, Dec. 23 (only flight on that day), or possibly Mon., Dec 24 at 10am.

From my research, it seemed like it would be a "waste" to be in B.A. on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day as most everything will be closed by the afternoon of Dec. 24-- that is why we decided to depart before those days. Does this make sense?

That being said, my research tells me that there is much to recommend B.A. on SUNDAYS in particular, including the Feria de Antiquedades in San Telmo, the Feria de Plaza Francia in Palermo or Recoleta (I forget which) and also La Feria de Matadoros in the western suburb. These are all experiences it seems we must have. Do you think the Feria de la Matadoros will take place on the Sunday before Christmas? Is it worth going out there and are the other fairs worth trying to make our flights accommodate being in B.A. on a Sunday?

Many Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How important is it to include a Sunday in B.A on our visit?

Hello,

I do believe that if you have the chance, spending a Saturday night and a Sunday in Buenos Aires is a very good idea. Not only because of the markets (yes, they will be taking place on the 23rd) but also because of the people and the life of the city changing dramatically that day.

Dec 24th is not that bad. Things will close indeed, but not before 6 or 7 pm and in many cases (shoppings for example, or stores selling gifts) 8 pm or even later.

Make sure to spend your night in a walking distance place since the only big problem you may find is getting a taxi on the 24th between 8 pm and 2 am on Sunday.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How important is it to include a Sunday in B.A on our visit?

Mataderos usually closes in mid-December... I don't think it will be open on the 23rd, but you can email and ask. There's an address on their site:

feriademataderos_mc@buenosaires.gob.ar

If you can stay longer, I don't see why you wouldn't. Mataderos may be closed, but It is special to see the San Telmo fair (which is much larger than just the antiques section). Start at Plaza de Mayo and walk down Defensa to Plaza Dorrego, where the antiques are. Stay until after sundown and watch the milonga get going.

Buy a bunch of food at the mercado for a picnic in the park on Christmas. Stores will be closed, but you can still walk in the parks or stroll down Av. de Mayo to see the magnificent architecture. And then, on Christmas evening, things will start re-opening. IMO, it is definitely worth staying.

Mentioned in this post
Plaza Dorrego
Plaza Dorrego
548 Reviews
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
786 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How important is it to include a Sunday in B.A on our visit?

I agree with the others.

I would definitively e-mail Feria de Mataderos, as they usually close during whole january also.

Markets on Sunday;

San Telmo- mix of everything but started with antiques

Recoleta- fine handicrafts and art

Palermo- clothes, designers

Belgrano- Handicrafts (and China Town is particularly alive this day)

Costanera- A little of everything- close to best street food in the city.

Have fun!

Veronica

Say Hueque Argentina Tours

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
NYC
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How important is it to include a Sunday in B.A on our visit?

Esteban, Sylive and Veronica,

Many, many thanks for your suggestions! It sounds like we should stay over Christmas Eve and Christmas, rather than go back to the states "early" The maximum we will stay in B.A. will be 7 days, so if we plan to stay for the holidays, we will depart the U.S. later in December. Either way, we will get a weekend in.

We are so excited to come visit your spectacular city!

Cheers!

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
974 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How important is it to include a Sunday in B.A on our visit?

The last day the Mataderos Fair will be open this year is December 16th.

NYC
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How important is it to include a Sunday in B.A on our visit?

Many Thanks, Sandy.... while we have not booked our flights yet, we may arrive in B.A. on Sunday, Dec. 16, so although we'll be tired from the overnight flight, perhaps we could go out to Mataderos on that evening....Do you think it is worth it, or are the milagros at Feria San Telmo just as interesting?

With Appreciation!

7. Re: How important is it to include a Sunday in B.A on our visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 03:16