We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 very specific questions

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
865 posts
286 reviews
Save Topic
2 very specific questions

1.A friend of mine who has a few contacts in BA, said not to get money out of an ATM, but instead to sell my dollars on the "black market". He said I would get about a 20% percent better rate. I trust my friend, but was wondering if this seems outlandish or pretty commonplace.

2.We will be spending five nights in BA, before spending two nights in Colonia De Sacremento. We then have two more nights before our plane leaves. We were thinking of spending our last two nights in Tigre. Is two nights too much for Tigre? Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

Special Offer
Buenos Aires Super Saver: City...
138 reviews
from US$135.58*
US$152.63
Iguazu Falls Private Day Trip from...
6 reviews
from US$1,098.00*
Full Day Tour at a Farm in San...
64 reviews
from US$170.00*
Small-Group City Tour of Buenos Aires
209 reviews
from US$35.00*
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
786 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 very specific questions

Dear oliver,

- I guess others have other suggestions and if you look in the forum you will find more information about the "black market"- having said this, I wouldn't really recommend to change in the streets.

- I think two days in Tigre is really good, if you have already been in Buenos Aires, and depending where in Tigre you stay.

It is a relaxing, lovely spot completely different from Buenos Aires. It can be a bit crowded for this time of the year on weekends, but will still be quiet if you stay in an island.

Very important, do not gorget insect repellent. The amount of mosquitos is big! :)

Veronica

Say Hueque Argentina Tours

Clinton, MS, USA
Level Contributor
45 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 very specific questions

The "informal rate" or "blue market" for USD has been discussed multiple times in this forum if you do a search for that or for currency.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
482 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 very specific questions

I agree with Veronica, unless your friend has a verified person that does currency exchange for them, there's no way I would exchange money on the street. When I was just there and there were tons of people on Ave. Florida yelling "Cambio" but it is all together too risky in my opinion.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
865 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 very specific questions

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any suggestions on lodging? I would be happy to pay $250 a night. I would rather stay somewhere interesting and not a chain. Thanks

Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 very specific questions

Today, official rate (ATMs) 4.85 Pesos/Dollar.

Today, "black market" rate 6.52 Pesos/Dollar (you would get about 6.45 in reality).

As others said, don't do it on the street. Hotels have secure access.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 very specific questions

Cuevas ( change houses) abound. As I was waiting in line at a local pharmacy , a local advised me on her favorite a few blocks away. Often change is made by jewelers and travel agents.

I got 6.45.

Edited: 27 December 2012, 18:50
Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
865 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 very specific questions

yes, but how can you tell if the change houses are legitimate?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 very specific questions

By definition they are not legal. Nevertheless they abound like one on every few blocks and more concentrated that that in the microcenter. Any savvy bellman or hotel bartender can steer you...

Today the rate jumped to 6.7.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,698 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 very specific questions

As Billy says of course they're not "legit" in the strictest sense of the term. That said, if you're an informed/experienced traveller who has done their homework then "acting like a local" in this particular situation is no big deal and it's simple to minimize any risk to almost zero. It's a personal choice.

Cheers,

Terry

10. Re: 2 very specific questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2013, 10:15